410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

So you are using the factory tranny that comes on the V8 Explorers, and they make a floor shifter for them??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Josh,

Yes the 5.0L Explorer transmission is a 4R70W, also known as a AOD-E with a wide ratio gear set.
the difference between a AODE and 4R70W besides the gear set is the computer controlls the converter slip and lockup with a clutch.

These transmissions and excellent performers and in stock form can take like 350HP, with just a feew tweaks they can take 500 HP.
Alof of mustang guys swap these into their 5.0L powered cars using a stand alone transmission controller, one of which is made my Bauman engineering. So naturally the aftermarket has many floor shifters for these transmissions. Basically all the AOD shifters that were on the market need just a few minor tweaks to work with the AODE.

Art Carr, B&M, and about 50 other companies all offer floor shifters for this transmission. I will be using an Art Carr gate shifter because they are *****in! I have to wire in a little OD button into the interior, because the Explorer has this button on the end of the column shift lever.

Art Carr is a very good choice. They do make very good transmission products. Been doing it for around 40 years. I believe they were in Huntington Beach, CA., but they have relocated to Abilene, TX.

$199 for the shifter, on sale right now and $56 for the floor mounted base.....

OKay first I will start off with the headers as they arrived:

2893HEADERS.jpg

Thanks again Robert@ with torque Monster Headers, install coming tomorrow.

Now for this....

Here it is, the WIRING:
(Alternate text will display on Mouse-over)
28935l_PCM.jpg

28935L_TRANS.jpg

28935L_SPLICE.jpg

2893TRUCK_HARNESS.jpg

2893OBD-I.jpg

Any questions?

Jamie.. I'd get some locking header bolts on there from the get-go. It'll be cake to install them while the motor is out.

Also, are you going to paint the block?! :D

yes and yes :)

Looking good! Your back in Colorado? I would like to see this when It's all done if that's alright. Keep up the awesome work! This will be one hella bad BII!

Hey thanks! Yeah I am back in Colorado since Oct of 04 :)
I miss Laguna Niguel sometimes, ahhh the beach, the desert and the ocean...

But CO has more to offer for somebody like me :)

You can check it out anytime you want! Some of the CO guys get together every once in a blue moon and actually have BBQ's and go wheeling....

I'd like to hook up with you guys sometime this summer maybe. Cool man. I'll see when I actully have time off and hopefully I can get a look at this beast!

410Fortune said:
I have to wire in a little OD button into the interior, because the Explorer has this button on the end of the column shift lever.

Do you mean you are going to put an OD switch in the dash somewhere? That would be kind of neat.

Yes the OD button will be on the dash, or in the cener console :)

Okay I have not installed the headers yet, slight delay in that, snow and cold.
The wiring is finished, well as long as when I turn the key it goes vroom the wiring is finished.
I extended the PCM harness 3'-6" to relocate the computer.
Truck and power harness are now one with the 5.0L harness.

Few small custom things to do once its fitted in the truck, but so far so good.
I spent HOURS on this harness. It is easier to wire then some of the conversions I have worked on, or they get easier each time, but it required some nice tricks and lots of solder to get a 97 plug into 88 harness.
The truck wiring still remains stock, never been cut spliced r anything.
the maps I made of my previsou harness and the 88 BII systems realy came in handy.
The proof is in the pudding, so if it turns over on the first bump and I get a clear code...then we will smile.

I am headed to OR to pick up my new to me 97 5.0L 4 door explorer......Much progress will be made int he next couple weeks, should be running mid Feb, slightly over budget of $4k.

I picked up a 2 ton hoist from Checker for $80....floor model, just so I could pullt he 5.0L out again to install those headers :)

HEADERS are in.
Yesterday I installed the Torque monster headers.
They fit almost perfectly.
I installed the headers with the engine in the truck.

2893ds_header_top.jpg

2893ds_header_side.jpg

2893ps_header_top.jpg

2893ps_header_side.jpg

I had to unbolt the steering shaft just like the instructions say to do.
The only slight clearance issue I have is from one of the tubes on the drivers side header to the brake booster canister. Right now they are touching.
This is due to my conversion using the L&L mounts, which locate the engine low to the frame and back quite a bit. The factory dipstick bolted up with no issues.
This clearance to the brake booster will be an easy fix, I will slightly modify the engine mount to clear the booster.

I also had to completely rebuild the heater box notch I had made previsously.
2893heater_box_compare.jpg

In my quest to retain as much airflow as possible for the A/C system I had only notched the box enough to clear the stock manifold on the passenger side.
Luckily I had another heater box laying around and it only took a couple of hours to construct a new piece.

Total install time was about 1.5 hours, but keep in mind my engine is bare, the fender skirts are already missing and all hoses and wiring is out of the way. As Robert demonstrates (video included with headers) it is possible to install these headers in the truck without removing the engine, although it would be quite an involved process (read weekend project)

I am VERY happy with the fit of these headers. Everything on the headers lined up as Robert promised they would. So now we know, they will work on a Gen I Ranger/Bronco II conversion.
I have plenty of clearance around both frame rails, the steering shaft, plenty of room to access spark plugs and I could not be happier.

I will get pictures later today, I need to fiberglass the new heater box lid today and install tonight. This week the remainder of the 5.0L will be assembled, upper intake, throttle body, fuel lines, vacuum, wiring, will all be addressed :)

bumpity for new pictures
I will get some better pictures of the headers tonight, the Explorer forum is going very slow.....

Wow, maybe I am just unfamiliar with Torque Monster headers but those headers take some really wild twists and turns. But, I guess whatever fits/works, huh?

Yeah I hate working in a cold garage...it's getting warmer, it was 70 deg here today. But I know how it is in Denver this time of year, one day it's 70 and sunny and the next it's 25 and snowing.

Oh, I meant to ask you, what did you use to paint your frame. I noticed you had painted it (the front end, at least) and I was wondering what you used. Plain ol' rust-o-leum primer and some black paint in a rattle can? Or something else?

I rattle can my frame rails with Krylon flat black.
This is because I have never had the body off the frame, so whnever it needs it or I am working in an area (like with the engine out) I hit it with the wire wheel to remove all the surface rust then just hit it with the Krylon.
This way touch up is a breeze and I can always do another section when needed.

No primer on this sucker.....

Someday i will do a frame off resto on a BII(maybe this one?) and have the entire frame boxed in places and powder coated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back