410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon is on the money on the adjustment for the IAC kit. I just tried to make the adjustment equal between the two screws.

The 1.7:1's I used are the Crane/FMS bolt downs used on the 1993 Cobra Mustangs. They use a die cast body and are a bit more compact than the extruded bar stock versions like you used. I had no clearance issues.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Next project:

ifswdisco.jpg

Thank you Lindsy! Thats right Spas made me a great deal on this 95 Explorer front Dana 35 IFS center section. Sitting under the back cover is a set of 4.10 ring and pinions. If you notice this center section is also equipped with the Ford 95-96 front passenger side axle disconnect. Those vacuum powered solenoids will disconnect the CV shaft from the differential so when I am in 2wd my front driveshaft will no longer spin.

I am planning to use a factory GEM module and dash mounted 4x4 switch to activate the vacuum solenoids. So to switch into 4x4 you have to put the dash switch into 4x4, then shift the manual transfer case, a simple switch I provide might take th eplace of the Ford 3 position unit found in 95-96's with this setup.
That is of course if my current Gem module wont control it using the inputs the dash lights are already getting from my manual t case.

This should be the first ever 5.0L 96 manual transfer case true 4x4 with an unlocking front axle, or how Ford should have made them if you ask me!

I am keeping IFS since if I ever do raise this truck it will be a long travel A arm front end.

I need to aquire a set of 4.10 ring and pinions for the rear 8.8, install kits for both, and then I plan to do my first gear setup myself. I have a "spare" 8.8 axle I will be building in my garage and then swapping under the Ex.
I also have a factory limited slip unit that was used for 20K miles after a rebuild, so this should be a real nice setup.
Stepping up to 4.10 and a good limited slip rear will really make my 96 drive alot better. I find with 33's and 3.73 it hunts for gears alot on the highway (below 65) a bit and towing the boat could be alot better, 4.10 should do the trick!

Thanks Lindsy!

Man, I wanted that diff. I asked about it just a little too late.

BoominXplorer has a set of 4.10 gears for the D35 and an install kit.

Be sure and remember how to do this, I am going to find a 95 diff before long.

off the supject

it been a while sence I'v been on I have some ? I'de like to talk to you about can we set up a time to talk on the phone ? e-mail me 2 joz4fun2aol.com talking is beter for me than writing on this thing. I hahe my short block bulted and am reted to think about the rest of the project

Why have the switch over just the vacuum disconnect mod? I installed a manual t-case in my 96, and then did the mod, so I have 3 wheel/4 wheel drive.

Here is how mine is set up, in the middle it really isnt active, I need to flip it either direction to activate it(2wd/4wd). I set it up in the old location so its easy to know what im in :)

attachment.php

Thats right Spas made me a great deal on this 95 Explorer front Dana 35 IFS center section. Sitting under the back cover is a set of 4.10 ring and pinions. If you notice this center section is also equipped with the Ford 95-96 front passenger side axle disconnect. Those vacuum powered solenoids will disconnect the CV shaft from the differential so when I am in 2wd my front driveshaft will no longer spin.

I am planning to use a factory GEM module and dash mounted 4x4 switch to activate the vacuum solenoids. So to switch into 4x4 you have to put the dash switch into 4x4, then shift the manual transfer case, a simple switch I provide might take th eplace of the Ford 3 position unit found in 95-96's with this setup.
That is of course if my current Gem module wont control it using the inputs the dash lights are already getting from my manual t case.

This should be the first ever 5.0L 96 manual transfer case true 4x4 with an unlocking front axle, or how Ford should have made them if you ask me!

okay second ever hahaha

Mines not a 5.0oooh

Just thought of something...

I have been waiting all this time for zhanx's diff when he pulls it for the solid axle swap but never thought about the fact that this diff does not have the axle disco!

410, is that tube removable from the diff? I'm wondering if it may be possible to install it on a newer diff.

When I origionally thought about getting his diff it was freshly rebuilt and it seemed like it would save time to just replace mine entirely but now that it has some miles on it and I'm not sure if it will work with the vaccume disconnect I'm thinking about just rebuilding mine.

ifswdisco.jpg

Looks like the tube COULD be removed from the diff, but to me I would just wait until you can pick up a vacuum disco front axle and rebuild that one.
its not like you pull on it and it comes and and then a new one slides in, a shop/axle builder would likely have to do this for you

The plan (photo-chop):

expopiaa.jpg

Piaa X 90 series lamp install
Requies notching the frame horns, cutting the bumper, wiring (I dont have the PIAA harness) and making brackets

I also picked up new pushrods and lifters, I will install them and re-torque my valvetrain again, and install copper header gaskets under the TM headers all at the same time.

Going to be a busy week!

merc emblem was removed, trimmed, Ford oval glued on

Its a merc grill on a Ford whaddya expect? hahaha

i like the mercury grill better than the stock. did u have to make any mods to it besides the ford emblem?

no the 95-97 mercury grill is 100% same as the 95-2001 Explorer grill, they interchange, whether its from a Limited, Sport, or whatever, if you have these headlights any grill that came with these headlights will fit

in 98 the mercury got a whole new grill however and headlights, to convert to that style front you have to do more work.

There are quite a few grills and bumpers/covers to choose from when talking Gen II Explorer

i've got a 2000 explorer, so would i have to get the mercury headlights instead of keeping my own?

Yes, and a little wiring related to the flasher, and one less turn signal light. Several on *********...com have done it very well, hunt Eric, a V8 Sport99Xish, he's on here also. Good luck,

You can use the 95-97 Mercury grill like mine or do like CDW and I just mentioned and convert to the 98-01 Mercury front

k. thanks for the help.

Back