410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought those upside down 'L' shaped blinkers were unique to the X?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Um they are except it was also sold from 95-97 as a Mercury Mountaineer?? I dont understand the question??

The 95-97 Mercs shared the headlight assemblies with the explorer, and the grill was different. From 98+ the Mercs had their own unique headlights and corner markers, the headlights were angled the opposite of the explorer and early Mountaineers.

95-97 Style

expopiaa.jpg

98+ Style-

truckMarch07_035_Medium_.jpg

thank you.... I detailed my ex yesterday, man its AMAZING what the mag chloride and a Colorado winter can do to your truck, I'll get some pics. I think the fog light mounting will wait until I can find my new bumper cover, I plan to upgrade my 96 style bumper is shotty

I dunno if they even make them anymore, but I have seen them listed online for $450+
I traded a transmission for mine, a used tranny got me a bunch of cool parts from RangerX, who I believe got much of this stuff from Tom aka "Fakrwee"

I have had them for a couple of years now, I wanted to put them on the BII but they are just way to big to fit on there well and they will be perfect for the Ex if I can stuff them in there, they are HUGE!!
They are basically the exact same size as the headlight itself, and yes I thought about that too....

here's a pic from earlier in the thread:
lastparts.jpg

I have never seen headlights on a Merc other than these, thats why I asked.

I have never seen headlights on a Merc other than these, thats why I asked.

Yup, I had to do some research to figure it all out- I was thinking of using an explorer grille surround and a billet (vertical), but can't without changing header panel, headlights, etc.

I wish I had the 98+ Merc front end, I love the different look and with diamond lights and clear corners they are really sharp

Yup, I had to do some research to figure it all out- I was thinking of using an explorer grille surround and a billet (vertical), but can't without changing header panel, headlights, etc.
Yeah I knew that much from when I rebuilt the front end of a '97 X I had found a complete front from a Merc. The header pannel isn't too bad of a PITA to change, just depends on how bad you want that look. :rolleyes:

I once saw a Merc with the L shaped side markers like the X but I thought for sure he installed the lights. I thought it looked really sweet.

I wish I had the 98+ Merc front end, I love the different look and with diamond lights and clear corners they are really sharp
I actually think the way you have yours setup is the best look and the stock X look next after yours. I think the L shapped ones look way more agressive than the Merc's rather soft looking ones.

i personally love the look of the 97 mercs. The grille is what does it for me.

Attachments

• DSC02367.jpg
    DSC02367.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,059

Yup that grill and those side markers make me pitch a tent.

Explorer small update

Exploder needs some work big time, PIAA's will have to wait a bit

Rack and pinion is shot, the steering now has some hard spots in it and it will not return to center

the brake master cylinder is history, soft pedal, will continue to the floor

Tie rods, CV's, ball joints, torsion bars, hubs, and springs are all toasted on this truck, with 160K miles, alot of abuse (big tires, mud, neglect) I can see why

She's parked for a bit until I can get to this stuff sooner rather then later.
My plan is to buy some time by installing as many parts as I can from my donor truck (the rolled green one) however since she took such a big hit I dont think the steering rack is any good any more, I can salvage the CV's, hubs, rotors, rear leafs, calipers, etc but not the parts I need the most (tie rods, steering rack, ball joints)

I also picked up new pushrods and lifters so those need to be installed, then finally it will be time to prep the truck for new all matching paint :)

Oh and she needs new e brake shoes

I would like to add a trans temp gage, a coolant temp gage and an oil pressure gage, I plan to put them in a pod on the drivers a pillar

Please send $$$

plan is to complete all this stuff in summer/fall 07

Sure thing :)

Rack and pinion is shot, the steering now has some hard spots in it and it will not return to center
Ever think about a gear box install? I have been thru 2 pumps and 3 racks. Our racks are pretty crappy when you add large tires to your truck. My tires are a little bigger tho maybe thats why I have all the headaches.

Anyways I won't be driving the truck until I rid myself of my rack setup which is unfortunately taking a very long time.

Yes it was......(copied from other thread):

I got it. Thursday I removed the factory 96 shaft and found it was toast, rust inside the joints...

Since I had one laying around hahaha with half the miles on it and in great shape, I diss-assembled it, cleaned and re-lubed it, then installed it in my 96.
It steers like butter.

I am returning the new rack I purchased tomorrow, I was 80% sure it was the rack when I was researching binding and found this thread.
You see I forgot that when I installed the drivetrain in this truck I did not replace the 163K mile shaft with the 83K shaft and I meant too.

I jacked up the front end and removed the d side tire.

I accessed the pinch bolt with 1/2 drive, 13mm shallow 6 point socket, wobbly, 12" extension and driver.
I released the metal brake line from its plastic mount.
I used a small bunji cord to pull the metal brake line out of the way (body lift = directly in front of the bolt)

Using a shallow 13mm socket I removed the bolt. You approach from the front alongside the bottom of the ac compressor, around the header and the power steering lines/crossmember and supsension mounts. Its a PITA to get at for sure
Re-installing was the same but requires some patience.
I actually installed the bolt using a pair of "claws" i have.
Its a 24" long metal aparatus with 4 jaws that come out of the end of the flexible body
(read grabber tool) Enabled me to get the bolt into position and begin threading in minutes.

Thanks!

Saved me $172 for now

Wait sorry I have to spend some $$$ too when working on the explorer I backed up in my garage a bit too far and hit the bronco front bumper = explorer pass side tail light history.

I need a tail light :) $20 I dont have one of those laying around (all pass side donors are also broken I have 3 d side)

Since I just busted a tail light..............here's the next step for the Exploder aside from paint (yes I am painting the fenders and hood, my GF's mom just happens to own a chain of full service car shop's and I can use their booth)

blackhead.jpg

blacktails.jpg

Also Julee just traded in her 99 4 runner for a 2007 FJ Cruiser. Let me tell you this thing is *****in! I spent 8 hours installing some trick fog lights on it this weekend.......next goes in her stereo from the 4 runner. She is looking at a 3" lift kit from Skyjacker and has her eyes on some 32" tires :)

FJ Cruiser = Happy happy joy joy, wicked ass truck

Back