410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

isnt there one available or was that one just for first gen conversions.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You nailed it. gen I conversion
would not be hard for them to make the same thing for a gen ii conversion, but you can use factory metal. Just very hard (okay impossible) to find not wrecked, and parts/sheetmetal are tripple what regular Gen II clip is

i want one too :( ... i kinda want someone to pull out in front of me so i can wreck and get a glass front end (gotta wait till they are available though) hah

I found a 03 Sport at the yard, rolled over, the front clip was in GREAT shape, but it would have needed 1 fender. The guy wanted $2000! hahahahahahahaha I can buy an entire 5.0L Gen II at auction for less...

yea...i can imagine the steal being expensive. I jsut really want a glass front end...even though i dont desert run, the look of the glass is soooooo cool looking.

i just want a 5.0 !!!

so if you plan on lowering and putting this on 18"s, are gonna stick this sucker with 2wd?

otherwise what is your choice for a transfercase?

Creager, 2wd in CO = worthless half the year.

If it gets lifted (most likely) then I will use a factory ful size truck 6 bolt t case like you see no this forum. Expedition?

If it goes down then I'll stick with AWD, I have a few "spare" AWD T cases at the moment :)

For now she stays AWD (winter is coming quick!)

410Fortune said:
Creager, 2wd in CO = worthless half the year.

If it gets lifted (most likely) then I will use a factory ful size truck 6 bolt t case like you see no this forum. Expedition?
i thought the expo's t-case was the same/close to the gen 2 X?

This is a gen 2 explorer.
All 5.0L V8 explorer's were either 2wd or AWD, no low range, no shift motor.
Since the trans is basically an AOD-E, it uses the 6 bolt ford t case output shaft and adapter.
This requires a later model 6 bolt t case, which I dont think was available in manual shift = wiring in electric shift system. the full size case will fit int he explorer but its not easy. You can search this site to find the conversion.

Other options are the D20 T case using the Advance Adapter stub shaft and output adapter, or the BW1354 (5 bolt) case using the Advance Adapter AOD to BW1354 adapter ($500, plus trans must come apart). Atlas II is also an option.

I have the best damn cat in the world:
kittyhelp092705.jpg

Cool project! Good luck with it all.

haha you said cat, im lookin at the pictures looking for your catalitic converter.

if yr droppin it id say stick with the AWD, if you dont like the 2wd idea ;)

What about the manual shift cases that come in the ('95/96) full size broncos? They're HUGE, but it definatly comes in manual shift.

DUDE SCREW IT! just have 2 non-daily drivers that you drive everyday. when the ice gets tuff bust out the BII!

Ice + BII = sideways.
Deep snow + BII = we will make it.

Ice = Explorer
I dont like this generation of AWD, its not a "send power to the wheel that grips" setup, just a 70% to the rear, 30% to the front from what I understand.
When I rolled the green truck I believe it was partially due to me being so used to trying to recover a slight slide with my BII high range 4x4, I am a pro. In the explorer it reacted totally opposite from what I am used to.
When i rolled I was doing like 35 mph around a gradual turn, I drive that road all the time and was fully aware of the ice. rear end broke loose, I compensated, it overcompensated, I oversteered again, BAM directly into the concrete center divider.

So I would prefer a selectable t case, especially for long road trips where 2wd would save me big gas $$$....
I am wondering if the 6 bolt t case from an F-150 (later model) might be available in a manual shift, or at least the earlier version of the eletric shift that would not be so hard to wire in the controller for.....

you could try siping your mud terrains, I did it last winter to mine with a utility knife and it made a huge difference... otherwise it was like driving around on big bald tires.

I know this man! I just air way down, like 20 psi on the street and snow = tons of traction :)
These 35" MTR's wont get siped now! they are about 1/3 tread left

OKay been a while I know but I have made progress.
The Blue XLT (builder) is ready for the new drivetrain, everything from rear driveshaft forward has been removed.

The Green truck (donor) is stripped down to just the drivetrain, which I will be removing this weekend.

I really enjoy working on these Gen II 5.0L's, they are really easy to work on, especially when you can chop the radiator support off for access.

Here are some progress pictures. Took me all of 4 hours to get the green truck from taking the hood off to the last progress picture here:

All parts are boxed up and labeled, all fasteners are stored into my collection. Nothing was thrown away that can be re-used. There is NOTHING like stripping down a wrekced truck to re-stock your collection of nuts and bolts :)

getting started:
progress.jpg

Some un-usable parts:
trash1.jpg

Complete 96 5.0L engine bay harness:
[IMG]http://fortuneelevatorconsultants.com/XLT/green96/harnesscomplete.jpg
When I left it:
preogress1.jpg

I have alot of pictures, if there is anything you want to see just ask. as you can see the frame took quite a hit on this truck and is bent up pretty badly, the good news is the damage stops right around where the front sway bar is, so alot of my front end parts are re-usable. In fact the only thing I think is completely toasted is the d side knuckle (broke at steering extension), tie rods, sway bar, and the steering rack everything else seems to be OKAY :)

Aside from new sheetmetal the only part I think I will have to buy is a 5.0L metal fan and clutch.

I already have a new rad and AC condensor.

I plan to install a cam, instake spacer, TM headers, waterpump, and a new timing set while this 5.0L is out.

Can you say POWER ADDERS?

Muahaha

Well if my calculations are correct, you have until tomorrow to complete this and be on schedule. ;)

Great to see progress in your work. I started my thread about 2 weeks before you. It inspires me to get going on my lift...I just need to find a garage and about another $k or 2. :eek:

hahahaha oh man I always assume I can do this, do that, have it done in two weeks, etc.
I forget about work and $$$ sometimes! hahaha

I wish it was done!
I am trying my hardest to track down a 01+ Sport or Sport Trac front clip for this truck, that would be so awesome!!

Yeah work and cash are easily over looked especially on big projects. I need to practice welding stuff, I dunno if I'm gonna find someone to do it for me.

The front clip from a newer body style '01 sport or sport trac will bolt up to the core support on a '96???

Interresting...I might go looking for the same thing...

yes they are the same truck cowl forward.

I have been looking for some time, good luck!
I have re-newed interest in getting this front clip as we bought my room mate a 02 Sport Trac last week, and it sits in my driveway, starring at me......... saying:

"You must have a 1 off 4 door with a Sport front clip"

only problem with that is..the body lines wont match. the ST/sport front fenders have like a built in fender flare thingy..so it will look kinda funny.

other then that..very cool idea.

Back