410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Because they think people who want an F-150 t case only want it to replace an F-150 t case
Not smart, just leave them attached!
So trick is to find private party, or right place right time, find Exped or truck about to hit the yard.

Where did you buy this? Ford?
see I havent checked your thread....argh! no time yet.....

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ya, i had to buy my shift linkage through ford. 107 bucks for the linkage and stick. 5 bucks for the boot. YOu can make your own rod that connects the t-case to the linkage. When you go to the ford dealer ask if he can bring up a diagram and you will know exactly what im talking about.

Jamie..The VSS on a newer 150/Expo should be in the rear axle like the EX. Dosn't your current vss go to the rear axle, or is yours in the t-case? Maybe you could just rig it to your rear axle like the newer trucks?

Stic-o said:
Jamie..The VSS on a newer 150/Expo should be in the rear axle like the EX. Dosn't your current vss go to the rear axle, or is yours in the t-case? Maybe you could just rig it to your rear axle like the newer trucks?

Section525 tried that and he couldnt do it. It wouldnt read.

[QUOTE='97 V8]Section525 tried that and he couldnt do it. It wouldnt read.[/QUOTE]

Well that's because it's Johnny :p

so your sensor is in the case then right?

yes. Now if we wanted an electric case, we could have got one from an expedtion that is from 97-98, becuase they have the sensor in the tailshaft housing.

my new transfer case has a sensor in the tailshaft housing
However it is not the gear driven sensor like my 96 AWD case has, it is a stator style.
I believe I would have to upgrade my GEM module and PCM to use the VSS in my 8.8 only, I dont want to go that route, I will figure out something :)

I still need to research this and find out what others have done and tried, I know I read the threads but i wasnt paying close enough attention hahaha

The shift pattern is the same with the 4406 and the 1356 as in 2H 4H N 4L correct? Is there any reason you couldn't get the linkage out of a bronco or older 150? I can find 1356 linkage all day long at the local J/Y.

Right, I went to look yesterday and saw about 20 broncos with that linkage, however the handle in teh cab is HUGE, I dont see myself installing that in my Ex without mods.
I may go remove one for cheap just to see.
They had a AODE trans correct? Should be the same body as my trans.
What year did the 5.0L and 5.8L in the F-150 and bronco go from E4OD to AODE or did they?

Came with AOD 85-93 inline 6 and 302 only trans code: T. Has to message a FSB geek for that awnser :p

Stic-O yes my 96 AWD T case has the gear driven speed sensor, just like my 88 BII but wihout the cable
tcaseAWDVSS.jpg

Okay doing some research VSS signal

Here is my 2001 F-150 4406 tail housing VSS (vehicle speed sensor):

tcasevss.jpg

(please excuse the dirt, I have not cleaned this case yet, which BTW has SEVEN miles on it hahaha!!)

You can see there is a stator in the tail housing that this sucker reads off of.
I do not believe this sensor will send the correct signal my 96 needs for the speedometer and computer
BLAH
I cannot just run a 98 computer and get my VSS signal from the 8.8 because of PATS and wiring/sensor changes made in 98. Mean I could if it wasnt for PATS, heck ADD pats to my truck?
hahahaha can't steal me now *****es!

Idea's people?

-Only one I know of still going here is Section's idea of the tru speed speed signal calibrator. Resistors? 97-1/2 computer (P heads, I dont have)

-Machine the 4406 case to accept a gear driven speed sensor AND install the tone ring inside the case if its not present? wow

I want cruise control, speedometer and an odomometer please.

Can just the gage be swapped with a 98 unit, or is it controlled by the PCM on these trucks?

The rest of the conversion is CAKE!! I can't wait....just need parts

I also need to figure out wiring in my new 4x4 shift indicator lights :)
Led's?

Anybody have a Tru Speed you can demo? :p That may be the easiest route. If I recall correctly, the RABS worked to control the speedometer, it was just much too fast (which caused it to reset to zero after hitting whatever frequency). So if you could tame it down 75% or so, it may just work.

Also, if you wanted to try and run a 98+ PCM you can get a chip to delete the PATS system. :)

Here is my 1356 case, I need the position sensor here and the vent tube
tcase1356vent.jpg

My 4406 case has the vent tube broken inside the case = fun time extracting that SOB!
tcaseventissue.jpg

the 1356 case has a "spot" where the earlier model gear driven speedo would be installed.
the 4406 does not
tcase1356tail.jpg

I am wondering if I swap the tail shaft and housing from a earlier 1356 to my new 4406 I could get the gear inside the case and the speed sensor I need for my 96 truck.
tcase4406tail.jpg

It will not "bolt" up, but it does not look to hard to make it bolt on (drill holes in 1356 tailhousing in 4406 pattern?

I am going to remove them both and see whats inside

I keep hearing a chip can eliminate PATS but have not seen it done.
There are additional changes in the wiring, I found this out when I put the 97.5 computer into my 88 truck, the wiring book I used was for a 2000 model year so I had to backtrace all of them and see how my harness was different.
. The DTRS is a different sensor and pins change locations in the harness = YIKES, need 98 harness and sensors too? What a headache!

How do you demo the true cal thingy? Doesnt it have to be wired in? How much are they?
Screw cruise control and use GPS? :confused:

Ford / BW please we are begging you install provisions for the older VSS gear sensor in all new T cases, thanks!

I need to do some wiring diagram checks.....

410Fortune said:
How do you demo the true cal thingy? Doesnt it have to be wired in? How much are they?
Screw cruise control and use GPS? :confused:

Mine didn't run right without the speedometer. You could tell the transmission was lost. It wouldn't downshift when it was supposed to.

By demo, I mean, you have to have some buddies up there in CO with some newer trucks that have to use the Tru Speed. Just get them to bring their truck over, unplug it, wire it up and see what happens. :p

I called Superlift's tech support three or four years ago when I did mine. They weren't sure if it would work. But maybe they know something now?

I plan to figure this out before I install the case
Is this why you went 1354? or was the 4405 in your Mounty? I cant keep track of whos got or had what case in what year truck and the diff speed sensors

I just replaced my '99 4404 with a '96 4404. Problem solved. :D Then I went to a '91 1354 Auto, then to a '91 1354 Manual. :D

Okay the tail housings sole purpose in life is to house a speed sensor and to cover the output shaft/slip yoke for the d shaft. this makes me think they are pretty darn universal and easily modified to fit other transfer cases(maybe even a ring adapter for length and bolt patterns)

So theoretically I can install a gear onto my 4406 output shaft and get a housing that will fit over my driveshaft slip yoke and run my 96 sensor. The 4406 output shaft is much longer then the 1356, about 3" longer.

The 1356 output shaft has no stator, no gear, nada. No hole machined inside the cover for the sensor to sit either
1356output.jpg

the 4406 has a stator
4406output.jpg

I wonder if this 01 stator is sending a similar signal as my 96 sensor and NOT the same as the RABS signal..wouldnt it be cool if I wired it up and it worked? If not then ut oh.

more questions

Back