410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got the case thursday, checked it out and put it in the same night. One major problem though. With my front lift my driveshaft will not even come close to clearing the tranny crossmember. Lucky for me since I have no tortion bars making a new one wont be hard. I can now powerbrake 35s on dry pavement. I love it.

PS, 410 the sensor in my tailhousing is no good, it was broke off in shipping.

I now have Expedition front and rear driveshafts and a 2000 F-150 t case floor shifter

I still need the linkage, boot, shift lever and to figure out my tailhousing.
If i had the right tailhousing I would bolt this sucker in this afternoon....

I can make the linkage, and the boot is no big deal, I would like to use th efactory shift lever, knob and boot if I can find them.

the Shifter was bolted to teh trans, the wrecking yards do not keep them with the T cases, they also do not think they are important, and typically torch them out...

Had mine out today. Just got home after being cross rutted and broken tie rod. After being pulled out by a big PSD I made the repair. Lucky I had a spare and all the tools at my house.

The only thing I need now is a shifter. I have been going under the truck to get out of 4wd

my search is on, I am contacting everyone I can find, even salvage yards listing broken or "parts only" 97-98 F-150 transfer cases. I am thinking that for the 97 and 98 model years both e shift and manual shift cases will have the tail housing I need for the correct speed sensor.

As soon as I have these parts I will install my T case.

Pictures of the shifter I have, front and rear driveshafts tomorrow AM
For now here is a scan of the shifter parts print out I got from Ford:
4406shift.jpg

According to my local dealer these parts are not available from Ford.
I found my shifter mounted to a 200 F-150 4r70W transmission. I do not have the shift lever itself or the linkage to the t case, but these should not be too hard to fabricate if needed.

the driveshafts I got are listed to be from a 2000 Ford Expedition, they are in great shape. They were not on the vehicle, instead already on the shelf in the warehouse, but they did have the rolled Expedition in the yard so I had them pull the parts from the shelf based on this. I have my fingers crossed they are the driveshafts I need to bolt in without too many modifications (hopefully just the hybrid fron U joint)

410- I checked around here at my local salvage yards an no linkage. I guess I just got really lucky finding all of that in one place. I have a few more places I can call and see if they have that stuff. If one has it, I will get you their phone number or something.

The shifter portion seems semi easy to locate, I saw 3-4 of them yesterday.
Some of the F250 super duty transmissions appeared to be the same even though the transmission was not a 4r70w, I could not confirm that because the shifter I got was at the last yard I visited.
It would be cool to do a part number comparison and find out what other shifters could be used.
As long as the shift pattern is the same on this 4406 as it was on the E40D and possibly other t cases then I assume you could make quite a few different shifter assemblies work. I always prefer the bolt on as much as possible style.

Making the solid linkage between the shifter and the t case is not too difficult and making the shifter rod itself should also not be too hard. I love a good challenge and it gives me a chance to customize things to fit the truck the way I want, at least a little bit :)
One of the F250 superduty tranmsissions I saw yesterday did have the solid linkage mounted to the shifter (are from shifter to t case) but since it was not the 4r70w I did not have the yard remove it. I must have looked at 75ea F-150, Expedition, and F-250 transmissions including 5 speeds.

So bottom line = shifter = easy
tailhousing = PITA

If you plan to do this swap find yourself a 97-98 4406 and you should avoid this :)
I believe 96 and 99 may also be the same tail housing?

I have found quite a few 4006 builders online for el cheapo ($50-100) so if i can confirm it has the output shaft (I might need to open the case and swap output shafts, crossing fingers I dont) and the correct tailhousing, I will just buy the whole enchilada

Here is what I have so far:

2000 F-150 t case shifter
shifter.jpg

2000 Expedition driveshafts:
dshafts.jpg

Gold mine! Okay well sort of

I just spent an hour walking around the local u pull it, they had 1 4406 t case from a 99 model, same tail housing I have BLAH!!! This tail housing is a PITA to find, I have had about 47 offers to ship me a good used case or rebuilt case, from $350 to $700....no thanks.

I did find a 4 door 2002 F-150 in the yard with the shifter I need! This is the shift lever.
problem is truck was burnt to a crisp (brake switch recall?) hahahaha so I came home to get my tools (read hammer and chissle) so I can go back and pull the shift lever, should be fun cleaning that sucker off, the plastic shift knob turned to dust when I touched it

2002 F-150 is not the correct shift arm hahaha but I did get some nice boots and shift levers, I think I can make something work from this.
The linkage from shifter to t case is a simple fab, I also have a drivetrain in my garage for mock up, so I am not looking for that solid likage too hard.

no luck on tail housing still

Your front d-shaft doesn't look like mine. Mine didn't have a flange but i guess you can get rid of that.

I figured this, since you guys needed a hybrid U joint I suspect my front d shaft loses the front flage and the U joint goes there to attach to my diff yoke?

ya.

they work!
dshaftson.jpg

I think the boot I got and the top shift arm will work with a bit of welding or fabrication :) my body lift may make it a bit more interesting (larger hole)
boot.jpg

friggin speed sensor, I would be installing right now

Couldnt you just use a torch to heat up the arm and bend it straight?

who wants straight? hahaha the lever will likely be the last thing I do.
Heck I dont even know what the f-150 shift arm like you used looks like, no pics online and the scan I have has a big boot thingy in the way.
I didnt see any pics of yours just the boot and the shifter...nothing about the linkage or the arm how it mounts, etc

HELP!! hahaha

thats not straight :)
Thanks!!

year/model?

That thing mine as well be made out of unobtainium
Once I get this all done I will make it shorter for the official conversion thread.

Can you give me the dimension from center hole to center hole of this black linkage plate thingy? looks like 4-5"
transfercase_016_Medium_.jpg

Back