410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it simply slid into place?

As for holding it on, gorilla glue the ******* on. ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

yes it slid into place after I cut the stator ring off.
They ride in the same spot on the output shaft.

Thats really cool. You hae savd me from countless speeding tickets and rath from the parents(even though the mounty is not thiers anymore, they still give me hell everytime i do something to it)

in my search to find out how this plastic gear is held onto th eoutput shaft I found this very interesting site:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm#ford
I think their product called "Cable X" would have allowed me to use my 2001 style sensor to feed my 96 odometer and speedometer by converting the signal, too bads its $320!!

These guys have everything for our transmissions it appears, I will be calling them tomorrow if I cant find my answer tonight

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm

Looks like many of the gears use a simple clip to hold it in place, mine is different though so the search continues....

IMG_3178.jpg

410 there is no tailshaft on my transfer case. The hole that the speedo goes into is in the main case. That exploded view looks like that worm gear is tight between the bearing race and the spline that the yoke goes on. Wondering if there is some kind of dowl that comes out of the side of the splined thingy that goes into the worm gear. On mine I reached into the hole and the worm gear rotates just a little about 1/32 each way. Something makes contact with it.

Thanks rookie, I can see the 1350 is inside the case.......I need to see how the gear is retained to the output shaft.

Here is one style (not the style I have but I am looking into using it anyways) e clip holds gear on output shaft:
64_38cutawayspeedogear.jpg

clip:
HPIM1083.jpg

I believe Pirate would be the best place to search for this but they have no search function currently........

glues may come into play :) but I am thinking either welder or drill
with that "e clip" I am guessing small shallow hole in the output shaft, cut a groove in my drive gear, done.

410Fortune said:
glues may come into play :) but I am thinking either welder or drill
with that "e clip" I am guessing small shallow hole in the output shaft, cut a groove in my drive gear, done.

you could use a small set screw to set the driven gear into the shaft maybe in two places 180 degrees from each other.

DKKNE Like thorough the plastic? this gear is soft plastic/rubber, I worry about doing anything to the face of the gears because it will cause both gears to wear faster/bouncing speedomete, etc.

Or do you mean just sticking up a bit?
The key is to keep it from spinning on the output shaft, it will not move front to back and come off once the speedo is engaged.

Is there any wobble on the gear, or does it sit flush with the shaft?

its a snug fit, same inner diameter as the output shaft

You could probably get away with just putting a ring of rtv on the shaft and sliding the gear over it.

Something that I have noticed is you shouluse a bfh on your fuel tank (if its metal) as the VSS hits the fuel tank and causes it to come off. Just to fore warn you.

Also could I ask for a pic of where your shifter mounts to the case? 97v8 said the 4406 manual and electrc cases are the same but I dont not think they are. I've done this conversion but my truck did not have the wiring that is needed and I fried my shift motor so I am now wanting to go to manual. However I think I may have to get another 4406. FYI my electrc 4406 came out of a 01 navigator. and it had the required vss on the tailshaft.
Looking at your pics the electric shift motor mounts on the rear of the t case (vss side) there is a round raised part. if that makes any sense.
So I guess I am going to have to figure out how to get a shifter adapted to my case. (I will try to et some pics)

pgdsm said:
97v8 said the 4406 manual and electrc cases are the same but I dont not think they are. I've done this conversion but my truck did not have the wiring that is needed and I fried my shift motor so I am now wanting to go to manual. However I think I may have to get another 4406.

The electric and manual 4406's are not the same.

V8boatbuilder did an electric swap complete with wiring-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97181

97V8 never said the cases were the same from what I remember, his thread is here-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161997

How in the world did you get the electric 4406 in yours? Did you put in a sport tank?

My conversion thread has some pictures that may help, the main part of the linkage bolts up to the tranny, not the t case.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726

The VSS sensor is no where near the gas tank. I have to go above the frame rail to get to it(thank god for bodylifts) but hell there is a good distance between the tank and my vss.

David im really starting to think your frame is tweaked ever so slightly. Your d-shaft sometimes rubs your tank and your vss is bieng pushed in by the gas tank. Mountaineergreen, boomin and i havent had this issue.

As for your motor not working...couldnt you fab up a gated shafter for the case? True you will have to get out to go into 4wd but it saves you an ass load on buying a new case.

I am doing the conversion tomorrow AM complete pictures soon after

Ill take some pics so everyone knows what Im talking about. My frame doesnt look to be tweaked at all but I guss I will go throw it on a frame machine and check it out.

Mahdey give me a call this weekend, I'll stop by ubc an show you. 786-1802

Your 2001 T case uses a different speed sensor then the earlier version.
IN this thread you are posting in I am converting it to the correct sensor.

If you have electric shift transfer case you cannot just bolt on a manual shifter, the cases themselves are completely different.

If you fried your shift motor as you say you an either rebuild it or replace it.
Otherwise you are looking at fabbing up some sort of manual shifter for a e shift t case, which has been done quite often these days, but it is nothing like you are thinking.

Your VSS should not be near your gas tank, its like at least 8" away or more
Unless you are not using a 2001 4406 transfer case

Back