44" boggers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

44" boggers

Hi everyone,

Just thought you would all be interested in what I just did. I have been working on my explorer for a long time now and i'm getting closer and closer to having it complete. I still need to do all the little things like brake lines, fiberglass fenders, cross over streering etc.

I have the explorer on a website and we put 44" bogger on it today. the addy is my.tenforward.com/spaceport/4x4/
just click on the red explorer on the home page, then conversion. Please get back to me and let me know what you think.

If any of you were wondering, it's got a 19" custom lift on it.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

knut4b.jpg

Well take care and have fun in the hills,
Oknut

[Edited by Oknut on 12-30-2000 at 06:41 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use It Once You've Modified It

Originally posted by Oknut
What do you guys think about that ? should I go for the full out big boy look and not be able to do any trails, or should I go smaller and do all the trails ?

Oknut, to me this would be a no-brainer. You will still have the full out big boy look even if you are a little smaller. If you have to make that kind of decision I know I'd rather be able to hit all the trails I could. Do you really think that you'll be noticed less if your truck is "only" ten feet tall instead of ten feet, four inches tall?

Do what you need to in order to enjoy it to its finest. To take your vehicle to the absolute limits so far out that you can't use it would be like acquiring a gun too expensive to shoot, or a wine too fine to drink. I could never do it.

I have cousins in the Makah Indian tribe out your way in Neah Bay and Port Angeles. Maybe we will meet someday.

Merry Christmas!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hi there and thanks for your opinion.

I have made up my mind to go smaller. I could always go bigger again later on. but then again it's still gonna be a farely big explorer, just not the biggest.

I have friends here that are from the tribe, they are very nice people. If you do come up this way make sure to get a hold of me.

Take care and happy holidays.

All The Trails

I agree w/ Gkarret on this one. What good is a rig if all it can do is mud pit/drags. All the trails equals all the fun. Like you said, you can always go bigger later for different types of terrain.

Everyone on the site and around here are telling me to go smaller. Thanks guys

not the biggest??

You just said that I wont be the biggest? With the 39's or 38's who is bigger???? None I have ever seen, anyway I think you will still have a VERY nice ride!!!
Marshall

Hey guys I need a little help.

I have lowered my truck about 3 inches. so now it's got a 16 inch lift again.

I had an idea and I wanna know what you guys think about it. What I was thinking was to put some 39.5 boggers in the rear with a 1 inch backspacing on a 12 inch rim. Then I would get 39.5 swamper tsl's for the front on 10 inch rims with no offset/backspacing. My full size front end is 4 inches wider then the rearend.

Do you guys think this would be cool, or stupid ?

you know my answer...i say go w\ the two different types!!!

They don't make a 39.5 tsl sx. If they did I would get it

Oh man i'm oh so close to having everything done.. Just got the Transfer case mounted and welded into place, got all the drivelines made and all the angles look good.. The Cross over steering is almost done. Just need to find some heim joints. And I hooked up the brakes in the front.

Can't wait to test drive it.

Wow, you should see what just landed on my monitor after i saw the pictures of your truck. Now thats what i call modified!! Bigger IS better.

that is a sick truck.

oh, and as for what i think about going smaller. What difference is stepping down to 39s going to do for you. It will still be too top heavy and dangerous on steep winding trails. I say screw it. Be proud to have the biggest explorer in the world. I would have 44s if i could afford it. Then i would build another one for the trails.
thats just what i think,
-ryan

[edit: profanity deleted]-Gerald

[Edited by GJarrett on 02-01-2001 at 10:22 AM]

Hey guys,

Just bought the tires and had em mounted today.. I ended up with 42 inch tsl swampers.

I have also done a lot of work on the truck. I started up the engine yesterday and that all went well.. sounded awsome.

Got my cross over steering all done. So on saturday I will take it for a little test run.

P.S. I also locked up the rear end with a lincoln locker.

Take care guys and I will get you all more pictures of it in action.

AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to see pics!!!!

I'm just wondering if there has been any update on that test drive and pictures. I've been getting fidigty. :)

Hey guys,

I have taking it for a few test drives, but there are still a few things that need attention. My master cylinder has a hard time keeping up with the F250 slave cylinder and dual friction clutch. So I might have to upgrade the master cylender.

I also need traction bars front and rear, to much axle wrap because of my very flexible leaf springs.

One front leaf spring is already 2 inches low. I called and asked skyjacker to replace it. But they said they don't replace leafs that are on a custom rig. The leaf springs are international scout.

I am also having a hard time finding fender flares, and I know I will be nailed driving down the road like it is right now.

Other then that. the only other thing that I have left to do on it is shocks. I bought 36" long shocks, the longest that I could find.

I have also registered the explorer as a one ton truck, that way my bumper heights can be as tall as 31 inches. The problem is that it's actually 46 inches.

When I took it on the test drive, I was very surprised about the gearing. it's actually seems to be low geared, even with 410 gears. Must be because of the heavy duty truck transmission and t-case.

I will keep you guys posted. And when she is all done there will be tons of pictures.

Take care,
Oknut

new pics

I finally made it up in the hills for a test run, here are some pictures that most of you haven't seen yet.

First a picture of the explorer with the full 19 inches of lift

knut4b.jpg

And this one I was trying to see how good it would flex

knut7b.jpg

And last a picture after going trough a nasty mud hole.

knut10b.jpg

Take care,
Oknut

Back