bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
I noticed the other day I was under the truck that if you grab the rear drive shaft and try to shake it there is some small but noticeable play in the output shaft/flange area it seems to be internal(inside t case) I also get a little clunk sometimes going into to gear and I know it isn't the u joints and there are no leaks should I be concerned?

Also a little off topic but could be related every since I installed the shift kit I sometimes get a clunk coming to a stop sometimes the abs activates and it's not the slip joint on the driveshaft done some research a shift kit or rebuilt trans (transgo in my case) seems to play in a lot for this issue haven't found a solution yet and some claim that it's ok and won't hurt anything. Could be a harsh down shift or maybe a TC issue but unlikely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem you are having and a new TPS sensor fixed it. So far it's been a week and the clunk has not returned. Crossing my fingers. I have some noticeable play at the output flange but it's been that way for years with no problem.

Ok I already replaced my tps about 2 years ago and it tested good last time I ran a multi meter on it. I'll try messing with it any way also as I've been suspecting that it doesn't clunk after reset the computer learns this habit and goes away for a little after reset

Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes is not the best way to clear the PCM. This is the method I now use.

Right now it says video unavailable on your post I usually hit clear codes on my scanner which seems to reset the computer or disconnect the battery if there are none.

Ok I watched it I'll try this if the problem comes back I haven't actually noticed it lately. So hopefully I won't have to.

Tested the tps again today to double check Max voltage at wide open throttle is 4.30 and the ground has a high resistance while plugged in to the sensor showing only 4.09 volts at reference. But 5 volts if I ground to battery ...... Cheap Chinese crap I just replaced that like two years ago I'm buying name brand from now on iv been burned too many times. I'll report back if it fixes the clunk when I replace it.

Back