• Register Today It's free!

4low dont engage 99 ranger

burkhalter

Reaction score
City, State
purvis miss
Year, Model & Trim Level
99ranger xlt 4x4
today at work iused my 4low to get in to the job ,worked great, after work i got to playing around at home in some mud ,got stuck in 2wd ,so i switched to 4low and i didnt wait till it engaged ,i popped the clutch and romped on it,it was then i realized my front end wasnt pulling and my 4low light wasnt on it shifted into 4hi ok, but does nothing when switched to 4low . i just bought the truck and know very little about electronic 4wd systems . can anyone help me figure it out thanks

You were in neutral correct?

-Drew

initial thoughts...

engaging the clutch and "romping" on the gas when the transfer case hasnt completely shifted to 4LO could have bent the shift fork. The "teeth" of the intermediate gear that slides into the planetary gears at the back of the transfer case are angled to allow them to "squeeze" into the planetary set. this intermediary gear is controled via a shift fork. if the planetary gears began to turn at high speeds while the shift fork was still in the middle of its travel from HI to LO position, then the force from the already rotating planetary could have put enough stress on the angled intermediary gear to bend the shift fork (along with maybe a few damaged teeth)

Back