How to: - 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
So who has done it? I know the rear tail lights swap with just some rewiring but how about the whole hatch? I have an 04 Explorer with the good old cracked upper hatch and have been looking for a better option. What I do know about the 2.....

• They mount and latch to the body at the exact same place.
  • Both plugs that go into the body have the same connectors and plug into each other (wiring colors are different)
  • 3rd and 4th gens come in almost completely different colors so you will have to paint to match unless your white or black. Finding an undented 4th gen hatch is harder than you think
I have had a newer 3rd gen hatch for my girls 04 in my shop for a bit and have been needing to replace hers (has damage in the right lower corner). Well 6 months of bouncing around my shop corner to corner and it looks no better than the one that's on there now. I have now bought an 06 tailgate and it will find its way on her truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was recently looking at doing the same thing. I've got an 04 Mountaineer and have done an Aviator interior swap and want to do the 06 style tailgate and Explorer front end. While browsing the junkyards, I did everything except the actual swap and appears all will work. You will need to use the guides that are mounted to the body from the newer one. Just need to redo the few differences in the wiring inside the tailgate to match up with the older wiring, but don't see much difference.

The more I look at it the more it appears plug and play. The windows on both models house the wiper motor and defrost wiring. The plug coming off the 04 window harness is an 8 pin rectangle. The plug coming off the 06 window harmess is the exact same 8 pin plug with the same plastic. The only difference is the defrost grounds different on the other side. I also know the hinges bolt up and the latch seems to line up perfectly(had latch removed). So far I have not found any evidence it won't be a direct swap. Getting paint today and will hopefully get it painted in the next few days before Christmas.

As long as the door mounts and seals properly, then anything else will be easy. I just haven't had the money to look for and do my own. Plus I moved to Alaska recently and the junk yards aren't as plentiful as in Texas. Surprisingly, my mountaineer doesn't have that Crack yet...lol.

Any luck with the hatch swap yet? I have an 02 mountaineer and am looking to do the same......they appear to be coming more readily available in the salvage yards.

I am waiting to get my tailgate back from the painter. It will mount up perfectly, just might have to re-pin a few wires. I'll do a write up as soon as my swap is complete and working perfectly.

Not sure how a 02 mounty to 06+ tail light will fit with the bumper (explorer and Mountaineer are diff)

I don't mind the mountaineer tails.....really just want to resolve the crack in the panel for good.....how much is the painter charging you to paint the hatch?......trying to get an idea what an all in price would be from a salvage yard and paint point of view

I don't mind the mountaineer tails.....really just want to resolve the crack in the panel for good.....how much is the painter charging you to paint the hatch?......trying to get an idea what an all in price would be from a salvage yard and paint point of view

I stripped my hatch completely and had it ready to shoot when I delivered it and my paint cost is $250. It is a hookup though since just the cost of the paint is over $120 and he is a friend of mine. I would expect to pay around $300-$350 for a quality job.

To be honest I wouldn't of started this project if I didn't get the tailgate and taillights for $200. Everyone wants $600+ for these tailgates still.

No I haven't picked it up yet. It is done but with me having 2 big jobs in my shop now for its own safety I left it there. I will probably get it before the weekend so stay posted.

1484362442008.jpg

This is all that actually matches up. The plugs are the damn same but that would be too convenient if the wiring was too. Wiper module and motors are different so wiring them will real fun. This turned into a 20 hour wiring madness for something I thought was going simple......

20170116_221123.jpg
Teaser pic. Now that I have had time to fully look at everything there are only 6 wires that need to be repinned between the 2 plugs. The wiper wiring was quite easy once I had the right diagrams and considering most of the wires stayed in the same place. Now all I need to do is install it and make sure it all works. I'll post up my wiring diagrams once I confirm they work.

It's on and fully functional. Details to come.
20170120_195812.jpg
20170120_214439.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So details on door fitment itself. The 4th gen door will bolt right on to the 3rd gen. The latch, weatherstripping and the side "guide" pieces mounted to the body are the same between the 2 trucks. The black panels beside the window along with the 3rd brake light are the same and interchange between both hatches. It is definitely best to fit your door before paint because you will have to adjust your hinges to get fitment correct. Then you can have the whole hatch painted with hinges attached.

Onto the wiring........Now my truck is an 04 and the hatch is an 06, and this is all my research consisted of. You may have completely different wiring or wiring colors (all of my colors and 6 pins were different) depending on year of truck and year of hatch. With the fact that the connectors will plug right in from the jump YOU MUST DOUBLE CHECK ALL PINS before doing so. Failing to do so will fry the body control module immediately if not worse.

Back