4wd auto conversion question

halfswede1967

Reaction score
City, State
Bennington, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Hi,
I have an all stock 95 xlt. Is there any way to convert the auto 4wd so that when you turn the switch to 4hi it enguages the front wheels so that it is in true 4wd instead of the front wheels enguaging only when the back wheels loose traction. Would like to be able to do this without a major conversion of swapping out the t-case and front hubs. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will be doing the very thing you speek of this week on my 96. I will post a link to a thread showing you exactly how to do it after I have done it.

Yup. I call it the 'Anti-Brown-Wire mod'.... You break the brown wire in the same place you would for the regular brown wire mod, but instead of using the switch to disconnect the transfer case clutch coil, you use the switch to ENERGIZE the clutch coil. Then, with your OEM switch in the auto position to lock-up the front axle, you flip the brown wire switch on and it locks up the transfer case 100%. Works like a charm!

-Joe

Wait, so let me get this straight... (still a newbie on the control trac)

When you switch to "4Hi" it is not really in 4WD until it detects slipping at the rear wheels?? I thought the control trac system does this in the "Auto" mode but when you turn the switch to 4Hi or 4Lo it locks the TC clutch 100%

On the '98s it's true 4WD high. That's what your switch says right? On the 95s they didn't have a true 4WD high, they just had 4WD auto which is the same as the Auto position on ours.

:)

I see said the blind man... I just read his post again and realized he had a 95.. mine is a 99 (disregard the screen name) so I have auto, TRUE 4Hi and 4Lo.

Green98XLT said:
:)

I see said the blind man... I just read his post again and realized he had a 95.. mine is a 99 (disregard the screen name) so I have auto, TRUE 4Hi and 4Lo.

You are correct, sir!

There were two systems for the 2nd gens: the 95-96 had 2hi, 4 auto and 4 low, while the 96-01 had 4auto, 4 hi, and 4 low. The early 2nd gens lack full time 4wd (except in low range) and the rest of the second gens lack a true 2wd.

In either case, with a proper brown wire mod, you gain the addition of 4hi for the 95-96, 2hi for the 97-01, and 2low for all of them. (i.e. lock the t-case in low range, then flip the brown wire mod switch to the off position to unlock the transfer case clutch) This allows you to make tight corners on high traction surfaces on a trail or a front lawn without disengaging low range.... more of a convenience for that .01% of the time it would be helpful. (Like backing a trailer into a tight spot, up-hill, around the garage corner or something like that)

-Joe

Back