• Register Today It's free!

4WD High and 4WD Low flashing

oplitic

Reaction score
City, State
Deering, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mounty
Hi, my 4WD High and 4WD Low lights keep flashing. Almost as if the switch was unplugged but it isn't. I made sure of it. It just started doing it this morning. It will flash like 3 times, stop for a few miles, flash some more (sometimes 3, 4, 5, 6, times etc.) and then stop for a few miles, over and over. I haven't gotten to actually look a whole lot into, just checked if the plug to the switch is plugged in, which it is. I have the brown wire mod, but turning it on doesn't change anything and my 4WD doesn't work when I turn it on. (of course this happens when it's starting to frost, lol) Up until last week I used the AWD every so often cause I had bald tires and wanted a little bit of added, 'security' shall I say, while driving, so I know it's not from not being used. Any ideas before I just go looking blindly? Would a blown fuse do this? or would the lights not go on at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not the relays, took em out and checked em all. And as far as I can tell not a fuse. Anyone know what fuse is the 4wd/awd fuse(s)? Just so I can double check em? I tried every fuse but I might have just missed it. Only thing left is to check the speed sensor on the transfer case. Anyone know exactly where it is? Maybe color how many wires come out of it?

BTW, I have no problems with my windows like they do. well, except that my windows lost a bolt and now it goes down and up funny and sometimes only goes down a bit then stops and then need to hit auto down again, lol.

have you checked for codes (tranny and/or body).

the fuse could be IP block #11 but that is where the light is powered. fuse #6 20Amp MAXI (Underhood) powers the Transfer Case Shift relay, ground is through the GEM.

have you checked for codes (tranny and/or body).

the fuse could be IP block #11 but that is where the light is powered. fuse #6 20Amp MAXI (Underhood) powers the Transfer Case Shift relay, ground is through the GEM.

thanks man, got to check those tomorrow. Also, it seems like my 4WD will work off and on. On the day it snowed here, it didn't work (of course), and then tonight I checked it, and it worked fine. It's weird..

That happened to me once when I decided to shut my X off while I was driving. I turned the key off then back on. It flashed the same way. I disconnected the battery for 30mins.

my 97 did this check the speed sensors in the t-case mine had fine metal shaving attached to them (story there) just undo the bolt pull the sensor off and clean it unplig battery and you should be good to go (there was 2 on my bw4405)

now if you have metal shaving on like mine you may have other problems following...

thansk guys. havent had tome to check it out lately.

Mine did that, I stopped the car, pulled the negative battery cable, pushed in the brake for a sec, then plugged it back in. Never acted up again.

this thead saved my butt (and my wallet)
Mine was just the 'big' relay/fuse under the dash
-- Thanks guys

Forgot to post back into the thread, pulling the negative terminal off for a few seconds did it. I pressed the brake in too just incase, not sure if it helped or not.

Stumped

I have a '97 explorer that has been experiencing the same issues. I've replaced the GEM module, transfer case shift motor, rear ABS sensor, control switch, and a relay under the dash. Nothing seems to be helping. The lights stop flashing for a little while if I disconnect the negative battery terminal, but it always comes back. Also, 4WD high works alright, but I cannot get into 4WD low. Took it to the shop and they told me there are four "contact plates" and that two of them are reading the opposite of what they should be. That's the only thing I have to go on now. Any ideas of what to do next?

thanks

Thanks for the info on the thread. My '98 Ranger was stuck in 4low and the lights were flashing on the dash. I tried the battery disconnect, mash the brake and tapped the motor lightly with a wrench. Not sure which one was the cure but now the transfer case shifts again. Whew cheap fix!
Thanks again to the folks on this forum.

I had the same problem. It was the gem module. I was able to pick a used one up for 100 bucks at a wrecker. It fixed the problem right away. I had to take it in to get the codes read by a mechanic since i dont have a obdii reader.

hey guys i have a 1997 explorer it was doing the same thing. i took the transcase out and apart. i couldnt get it in 4 low. found out the shift fork was broke. it only cost $40 pretty easy fix. runs like a champ now. I was tld the lights are flashing because the computer cant recognize whether it is in 4 high or 4 low.

This happened to me once, disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, reconnected, and all was OK!

Folks - Before you try ANYTHING else, make sure the #27 fuse in the inside fuse box (located on the outside left of the dash) is not blown, especially if your dome light, map light and/or glove box lights don't work. My problem was as simple as replacing that fuse. In my case, the fuse was missing (not sure how that happened). Of course, if that fuse is blown, you'll have to figure out what shorted the fuse out in the first place. Hope this post helps someone out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuse 27 is legit. Just happened to me. Thanks. Saved a lot of time and money.

Back