4x4 hi-4x4 lo flashing 6 times | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 hi-4x4 lo flashing 6 times

kenny-40

Reaction score
City, State
birmingham uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi guys help needed here i have a 1998 ex that has the 6 flashing high and low 4x4 lights its been to ford dealer bristol street who say after testing that the fault is the cam sensor and have ordered one fitting it on the 3rd after hols. so my question is is it possible for this sensor to cause the high and low 4x4 lights to flash :bounce: :bounce: :uk:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. in a word. If it was an engine sensor fault you would get the engine management warning light illuminate.
But as your high and low lights are flashing (6 reps with 2 minute gap) this points to the transmission side of things.
I`ve had this problem on my X. I took out the sensors in the transfer case, cleaned the muck off of them and popped them back in. It didn`t take more than twenty minutes.

re 4x4 high&low lights flashing

hi dave thanks for the reply i thought it sounded abit off the track when they told me that was the fault
this car has been a nightmare as i bought it on the 4 august this year and since then it has stayed at the garage
head gasket done twice
all timing chains replaced
also tensioners
front drive shaft was missing so had to be replaced only to find front axle needed to come out and have have work done on it its been to 4 different garages the last being a ford dealer who i was hoping to be able to sort the finale problem but sounds like they are well of track oh well will have to wait untill next tuesday to find out when they are done
thanks once again kenny

kenny-40 said:
hi guys help needed here i have a 1998 ex that has the 6 flashing high and low 4x4 lights its been to ford dealer bristol street who say after testing that the fault is the cam sensor and have ordered one fitting it on the 3rd after hols. so my question is is it possible for this sensor to cause the high and low 4x4 lights to flash :bounce: :bounce: :uk:

Hi Kenny

I will have a look on the ford diagnostics for you.

could you pm me your vin number

kenny-40 said:

Hi Kenny

There is a TSB for this fault. it isn't the cam sensor.

re 4x4 high&low lights flashing

hi steven
got the 4x4 ligths sort nowq was speed sensors ford changed both so thats one problem sorted just transmission and engine to sort now plus over drive issue as when i press button it goes on but when pressing it again it dont go out or some time it does but light stays onand prob with engine it sound great while ticking over but once pedal is pushed gas pedal it sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine and struggles to find right gear while driving and engine surges a lot

kenny-40 said:
hi steven
got the 4x4 ligths sort nowq was speed sensors ford changed both so thats one problem sorted just transmission and engine to sort now plus over drive issue as when i press button it goes on but when pressing it again it dont go out or some time it does but light stays onand prob with engine it sound great while ticking over but once pedal is pushed gas pedal it sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine and struggles to find right gear while driving and engine surges a lot

Hi Kenny
Pleased you have your flashing 4x4 lights sorted.

The engine surging problem is possibly the MAF sensor.
Noisey engine when you accelerate sounds like timing chains. Have you had the updated cam tensioners put in? The O/D light might be related as the vehicle isn't running correctly. I will see if there is any concerns with O/D light.

cheers steven well both cam tensioners are suppossed to have been changed a month ago also timing chains but by a garage that had never worked on an explorer before dealers choice guessing it was a lot cheaper than ford so most likly never had the timing tools
kenny

svt2000 said:
Hi Kenny

There is a TSB for this fault. it isn't the cam sensor.

Here's what your problem really is:

6 flashes of the 4x4 lights means the t-case speed sensors aren't sending proper data to the GEM.

Most likley they just need cleaning, a simple processes. A t-case fluid change can, and should, be done at the same time.

On the rear of the t-case are two black plastic "plugs" that have wires coming out of them. These are the sensors. Remove the bolts holding them in, and wiggle them gently out. Clean off any goop with denatured alcohol. Replace.

While your're down there, remove the drain/fill plugs and empty the t-case. Replace the lower drain plug, fill untill fluid dribbles out of the "fill" hole, and replace the fill cap.

Hi all
My explorer has this flashing light symptom and I just went out and crawled under it to look for the connectors referred to above. Please excuse my ignorance but where abouts can I find them. I just saw a connector that is held in with a single bolt just in front of the rear prop shaft, I am assuming that it was on the back of the transfer box. Is this the connecter that you refer to? I could only see one and I have the impression that there would be two.
I eagerly await your replies.....
Many thanks
Keith

I just started having the same flashing lights problem as well. will this eventually cause the truck to not drive? what exactly do these sensors do?

i was also informed that it could simply be a blown fuse or even just unhooking the battery for 10 minutes could clear them.

No. in a word. If it was an engine sensor fault you would get the engine management warning light illuminate.
But as your high and low lights are flashing (6 reps with 2 minute gap) this points to the transmission side of things.
I`ve had this problem on my X. I took out the sensors in the transfer case, cleaned the muck off of them and popped them back in. It didn`t take more than twenty minutes.

Is there a post or how to on cleaning the sensors on the transfer case? Because I have a 97 XLT and the 4X4 Hi and Low work fine. But I am still getting the flashing lights. I don't really pay attention to them
because, as I said the truck runs beautifully and it has a brand new transfer case.

Any tips on cleaning the sensors on the transfer case? 20 minutes sounds like my kind of job.

Back