and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4X4 High Light Flashing

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Magnatek, December 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Magnatek

Magnatek New Member

City, State:
      IN
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer
      I am working on my girlfriends 2003 Explorer XLT. We replaced the transmission and on the test drive after the re-install the 4X4 High light in the dash flashes about 5-10 times every couple of minutes. The buttons on the dash (4X4 auto & high) don't do anything when pressed and the 4X4 low button just flashes 10 times or so when you press it. So, no 4 wheel drive.

We did disconnect the battery cable during the process and I am wondering if that blew the module behind the glove box? I searched the forums and it seems that it may be the cause. Can anyone verify this, or have any other ideas? Thanks for your time.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Welcome aboard!! :salute:

It's hard to say what the issue is. The only way I know to know for sure what the problem is, besides throwing parts at it until it is fixed, is to get the codes read at the dealer.

I recommend checking all the connections on the the transfer case motor. When my 4x4 lights were flashing, and I had no 4x4, it turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case motor. I replaced the 4x4 control module and the switch before the bad ground was discovered.

Good luck with the fix and be sure to keep us posted.

4. Magnatek

Magnatek New Member

City, State:
      IN
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer
      Thanks for the reply. We test drove it right away after the re-install and that's when the problem developed. We put it back on the lift right away and found the ground wire you are talking about corroded and broken. I soldered on a new connector and hooked it back up. The problem was still there. After about 1 day, it stopped flashing and the button (4X4 high) started working, at least the light on the dash came on when the button was pressed. I tried to get it into low but nothing worked. I assume this means at least the high is working? When you press the 4X4 auto button, the high light goes off in the dash. Does that sound correct?

5. jaydez

jaydez Active Member

City, State:
      Hartford County, CT
      Year and Model:
      2005 XLT V6 4x4
      Did you put the transmission in neutral, set the parking brake and press and hold the 4x4 low button?

6. szeiger

szeiger New Member

City, State:
      Olmsted Falls, Ohio
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer Eddie
      I know the threads are a little old but: Had the same problem with the 9 flashes, did the module swap, negative lead off the battery, etc. and it turned out, as some had post, a bad negative cable. But, this one comes out of the harness and grounds to the transfer case, not from the transfer case to the frame.
      I would not have seen it except I decide to remove the transfer case shift motor to bench test it/clean it up. Saw it, spliced it, replace the motor, grounded the spliced cable and back in business.