• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Wont Come On

AWIPE

Reaction score
City, State
AKRON,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I Recently Had A Remote Starter Installed About A Month Ago. I Haven't Used The Four Wheel Drive For About A Year And Went To Put It On The Other Day And Nothing Happened. Do You Think This Is Electrical And Related To The Remote Starter Install? I Did Check The Fuses.

Go to the 2002-2005 stock Explorer forum and look for a thread started by marcum03. Your 4X4 control module is bad. Lots of good info in that thread.

Also check out the the forum about the actuator motor http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/tcase.html. Most is very good advise, the part about checking the LED did not work in my situation. It is stated about pushing in the button that if you get a solid light the controller is bad. I tried this and changed the controller, it ended up being the actuator that is bolted to the transfer case. Also before rebuilding the part I was able to find a brand new one thru a KOI parts dealer for $91.00.
I my journery of parts digging I was able to come up with three used controllers that all are good. If any one is interested in purchasing any of these I can let them go for really cheap.

Back