• Register Today It's free!

5.0 2WD to 4406 Manual

SupaSwope

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer 5.0 RWD
Starting the process of my swap for my 1999 Mountaineer 2WD. Total time so far is about 12 Hours and Money at about $370.

Parts Collected:
4R70W /w TC from AWD 5.0
3.73 Front Differential
CV Axels, Knuckles, Hubs, Rotors
Manual 4406
Shifter and Linkage
Front (4.6) and Rear (5.4) Drive Shafts
Front Drive Shaft Shield and Skid Plate
All Nuts and Bolts

Parts Needed:
RTV Sealant
ATF
Possibly Transmission Pan?
Transmission Filter
Extension Housing Gasket?
U-Joint Conversion Adapter ( https://www.summitracing.com/parts/axe-1-0134 )

85gwWDW.jpg

HmjE9ZY.jpg

lVqcYmP.jpg

QZ4Hk0w.jpg

K3Pv7IS.jpg

1. I have some questions if anybody could help answer some simple ones, Do the AWD 4R70W and 2WD version share the same oil pan?

2. Is this U joint conversion adapter the right one I would need? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/axe-1-0134

The reason I ask is because in the thread I am mainly following on the conversion lists an autozone part (Autozone P/N: 185793, PDQ/Brute Force #1-0134 ) That does not show up anymore and there are a few companies that make the same U joint of #1-0134 as the one I listed. Are they the same? Is it okay to order?

3. Also I need help on finding the proper name of the metal gasket that goes between the trasmission and and engine, has the starter go threw it and has bolts go the opisite way of the top 6. Is this the Extension Housing Gasket?

Thanks for the help. Tell me your thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great score of parts there, and I love the open floor you have to spread it all out. I've got a full garage and the driveway, plus two on the street.

The plate between the engine and auto is on all V8 automatics from about the 80s, for those transmissions, AOD/AODE/4R70W. The old AOD version is shaped a little differently than later AODE's and 4R70W's.

The trans pan lists to be shallower for the 2WD, but you can tell easily at a glance. The dimple/bump in the bottom is what requires a 4WD filter. I bought a deep pan last year for my 98 302, it's the same depth, but flat on the bottom, uses the 4WD filter, and holds two more quarts. I like flat pan bottom.

Are there no differences in engine crossmember, etc between 2wd and 4wd?

Thanks man @CDW6212R

Would this pan work?
More Information for DORMAN 265813

That's the only pan for the 4R70W on rockauto.

So I am not talking about the wheel attached to the engine that the starter connects to, (the flex plate) but the gasket in between the tranny and engine. Unless they are both the same? It seemed like it was metal when pull the tranny. It almost looked like it covered the bottom part of the bell housing. Could you maybe link me what you were talking about?

@fastpakr I do not believe so,

That Dorman pan will work, it lists it as 3.5" deep(the bump). Look at this link, picture, it shows the depth of the two stock pans, and the typical aftermarket deep pans.
https://www.yourcovers.com/transmission_pan_compare/9324_9685_cf_stock_dims_lg.jpg

I'm sorry for mentioning flexplate, I knew what you meant, but out came the flexplate name. That metal plate you mention is a separator plate, all Ford automatics have them. Is yours hurt, they last forever?

I've used a few of those dorman pans. Take the original drain plug out and throw it in the trash, order an oil drain plug for any 4.6/5.4 motor. It uses the same 14x1.5 thread and has the integrated O ring.

@boominXplorer Thanks for the tip, I will do that.

@CDW6212R Thanks for the confirmation on the pan and name of the plate, I will admit the one I pulled the tranny from got messed up as it being my first tranny pulling experience, (IE; bolts at the bottom) Im guessing I can just reuse the one i have on my truck currently.

I will be buying parts needed within the next few days including rear main seal, that needs to be done while I am down there. If I do this swap within a month i can get $60 back from the junkyard from cores between the Tranny, TC, Driveshafts.

Edit: 12/31/17

Parts List Update:

Items Needed

ATF
Friction Modifier Possibly?

Items Bought

Rubber Vent Hose Connection For Top Transmission to Hard Vent Line
Rear Main Seal
Rear Main Repair Sleeve
Rear Main Seal Installation Tool
Plastic Scraper
Black RTV
Transmission Pan
5.4 Transmission Drain Plug
Transmission Gasket
Transmission 4R70W AWD Filter
U Joint Adapter 1-0134
Degreaser
Brushes
Spray Paint
PB Blaster
Sand Paper
Transfer Case Gear Sensor Connector

Is your transmission bad? I’d sell it if it wasn’t, and a transmission shop might give you a better core, if not.

@Mbrooks420 Thats a great idea. Don't know why i didnt think of that. I think ill keep it and try to get some cash for it.

Yes, good idea, sell it since I gather it still works well. What's the mileage on the 4R, and has it been rebuilt before? A solid trans that has never failed is worth more than, an any mileage rebuilt version.

Plus, I’d imagine they are fairly popular in Florida. A transmission shop gave me $500 for my ‘70 powerglide.

Speaking of powerglides, My neighbor is actually selling me a 1976 Mustang 2 V6 4 Speed Auto, I head those were powerglides, Maybe when I start the work on that I could get some good cash from that. I will probably sell my 4R70W like suggested. Ill show some pics of the mustang for the heck of it.

76LAJso.jpg

ktWrigN.jpg

HJzjceQ.jpg

So I had a Trasmission Filter question. Which of the 2 would you reccomend

That mustang should have a C3,or C4 stock. Powerglides only came in GM cars( as far as I know) but there are bellhousings available to mate them up to just about anything.

The C4's are good transmissions for the smaller Fords. My old 72 Gran Torino had one, my first rebuild, on the street. I bought my first Ranchero in the mid 80's, and I had an AOD that I put into one when the engine was out. The AOD will bolt right into a 73+ Ford with the cross member that moves a few inches. The Mustangs may not have any adjustment in their cross member, but aside from that, the AOD is a great fit for those too.

@CDW6212R to the post you made on Monday, Its a decent tranny does what it needs to and has 220k miles on it, only thing wrong with it is the TC/OD shudder,

So I have obtained the following items

Rubber Vent Hose Connection For Top Transmission to Hard Vent Line
Rear Main Seal
Rear Main Repair Sleeve
Rear Main Seal Installation Tool
Transmission Pan
5.4 Transmission Drain Plug
Transmission Gasket
Transmission 4R70W AWD Filter
U Joint Adapter 1-0134
Degreaser
Brushes
Spray Paint
PB Blaster
Sand Paper
Transfer Case Gear Sensor Connector
Front Rotors

Items that I need to get:

Plastic Scraper
Black RTV
ATF
Friction Modifier Possibly?
Front Diff Vent Tube and Clip

I am going to start cleaning/degreasing everything tomorrow and give everything a nice coat of paint, I will update with some pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Back