Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Single exit 70 series 2.5" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Single exit with 3" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Other--please specify in post

Votes: 70 17.8%

• Total voters
How much did you guys pay to have a 2.5" dual in single out welded to the smaller 2.25" cats and a new 2.5" tailpipe made and mounted?

You can use a Magnaflow 10758 y-pipe with two 2.25" inlets and one 2.5" outlet.
10758.jpg

The 2.5" tailpipe does not have to be custom made. You can buy a Walker Dynomax Performance 46909 as a direct drop in replacement for your OEM tailpipe.
46909.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My "home made" or "self engineered" catback exhaust system started off with cutting off and removing everything from the 3 bolt flange that meets the catalytic converters. A Magnaflow Y-Pipe (part no 10758) was welded onto the mounting plate. The y-pipe is a dual 2.25" inlet to a single 2.5" outlet. This was followed by a Holley Flowtech Red Hots Glass Pack Muffler (PART #: 50252FLT). The exhaust exits through a 2.5" Walker Exhaust 46909 Dynomax Intermediate Pipe.

31MRYCB81YL._SS500_.jpg

large50250FLT.jpg

21NDLMojd4L._SS500_.jpg

ange_to_y_pipe_2.jpg

glasspack.jpg

I had it done today. They made me new pipes going from the cats to the muffler, hung the muffler then made me a new 2.5" tailpipe. Paid $195.

Exhaust sounds great, will get a video up tomorrow.

Here's a video of the new exhaust, cold start, idle, quick rev.

Drive by

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have a Walker part# for a 2.75" or 3" tailpipe that fits these Explorers? Also are there Y-pipes that go from two 2.5" inlets to one 2.75" or 3" outlet?

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Either I'm going to cut everything off behind the secondary cats and run a single straight pipe OR cut the secondary cats off and run a dual inlet single outlet turbo-muffler. Thoughts on which is better?

Secondary cats off and a dual in single out muffler. For the least amount of restriction get a straight through style muffler instead of baffled.

Out of curiosity, anyone on here ever ran a 10 Series Flowmaster on a 5.0 Explorer? I know it would be loud just curious to the tone of it and drone.

Out of curiosity, anyone on here ever ran a 10 Series Flowmaster on a 5.0 Explorer? I know it would be loud just curious to the tone of it and drone.

I'm gonna guess lots of drone. Isn't the 10 series designed for race applications?

I'm gonna guess lots of drone. Isn't the 10 series designed for race applications?

I have it on my 2005 Mustang. There is some drone at a certain RPM level but I've grown used to it. Just curious to how it would sound on our trucks.

Gonna chop the muffler off and just put a piece of pipe in there and some U bolts. aside from being loud (Which is fine by me) And not so legal (Live in the country in so. Alabama so no worries) any mechanical issues i could have?
Did this with my 06' Silverado without problems, Just want to make sure. Btw The EX in question is a 97' XLT 5.0

Did you do this? If yes how is it?

Alright want to do an exhaust mod on the cheap....perhaps drop the secondary cats and muffler, use a Y pipe, run stock 2.25 pipe back...keep the stock reso and tail pipe...thoughts?

Doesn't get much cheaper than what I did. I'm not a fan of the exhaust exiting out the rear of the vehicle, so I just unbolted the exhaust right infront of the secondary cats. I love the sound of it. If you wanna hear what this sounds like, hear is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-1euAj3Q8

In my small amount of experience, I have found that there is a lot of "drone" created when the total exhaust length is too long. The length creates some very annoying resonation.

Im running 2 borla xr mufflers 2" all the way out the back both dumped on the same side. True duals on mine just small piping. I figured 2 2" pipes is bigger then one 3" outlet.

Im running 2 borla xr mufflers 2" all the way out the back both dumped on the same side. True duals on mine just small piping. I figured 2 2" pipes is bigger then one 3" outlet.

That idea was good, except for the sizing. A V8 needs at least dual 2.5" pipes, and dual 3" pipes will not hurt. The worst that can happen is to need more fuel(PCM programming), due to running leaner from the extra air flow.

These are air pumps, the goal is to get the exhaust out without restrictions.

I'm going to tune my truck, test it, then install dual 3" everything, and follow it with PCM tuning, and testing, likely with dyno testing as well.

Make it bigger, much much bigger, more power.

That idea was good, except for the sizing. A V8 needs at least dual 2.5" pipes, and dual 3" pipes will not hurt. The worst that can happen is to need more fuel(PCM programming), due to running leaner from the extra air flow.

These are air pumps, the goal is to get the exhaust out without restrictions.

I'm going to tune my truck, test it, then install dual 3" everything, and follow it with PCM tuning, and testing, likely with dyno testing as well.

Make it bigger, much much bigger, more power.

You're joking, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I only had time to read the first 6 pages of this monster thread. But looks like I'll go with removing the secondary cats and installing a dual in single out magnaflow with a 2.5" pipe out the back. I've always liked magnaflow, have a dual in/dual out mag on my Tbird and my fiances Tbird will get a very similar setup after we're married.

Back