Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5.0 swap driveshafts...

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by njbronco, June 11, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. njbronco

njbronco New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1974 Ford Bronco Sport
      I'm putting my 4406 in after work and im getting ready to figure out drive shafts.

I've been reading a lot of 2nd gen explorers used 98-03 f150 4.6 front shafts. So I think thats what I need as the sport trac uses the same (06/2001 sport trac)

Then I see to get a 5.4 expidetion rear shaft i think also 98-03 but they are too short for the sport trac. making me think, i just need both shafts from a 98-03 f150, just need to figure out cab and bed length.

my 4406 is out a 2004 new body style f150 if that changes anything.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The shaft lengths are different for the 4.6 trucks, because the transmission is shorter than the one in 5.4 trucks. I think the rear may also be different in those, but the result is the rear shaft is longer in the 4.6 trucks. Since the Sport Trac has a longer wheel base than the 2nd gen 4dr's, that longer rear shaft from the 4.6 might be close.

I think you could figure out what length you need by comparing the shafts used in both converted AWD Sport Tracs and 4dr's, versus the shafts used in BW 4406 4dr's. You need to know how much longer the Sport Trac rear shaft is with AWD, than the 2nd gen 4dr's. That length is the difference in wheel base of the Sport Trac versus 4dr.

With that, just add it to the length of the many BW4406 4dr truck's shaft.

4. njbronco

njbronco New Member

1974 Ford Bronco Sport
      That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Do you know a specific year 4.6 I should be after? Like you said that 4.6 rear might be close, but the 4.6 was in a ton of vehicles. So I need a year to and model to start with at the yard. As in, I need the front and rear shaft from a 99 f150 4.6. Then I can go from there or am I after the 4.6 explorer 2ngen four door.

5. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The shafts others are using is from the Expedition/Navigator, the 5.4 rear that is, from say 98-04's. I don't know how the F150's differ, the wheelbase and which transmissions affect the drive shaft length. There might be several OEM rear shafts that would bolt in. Some may be the right length but the front or rear flange is wrong, and needs to be replaced. You need to at least find one that's long enough, too short doesn't help at all.

The cost for drive shaft work has gone up a lot in the last 15 years. I paid a lot to have my front one rebuilt, basically a used 1st gen shaft with a new slip joint, $180ish IIRC. I think for that kind of money, you could do well to buy a new one made to order, or not much more than that.

6. njbronco

njbronco New Member

1974 Ford Bronco Sport
      03 f150 with the 4.6 had the perfect drive shaft. I used the MOOG 354 ujoint. Its in and I can confirm that my 4x4 drive works. was able to put it in 4x4 hi and move the truck with just the front shaft in.

• Like Like x 1
    7. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent, good find and I hope it's very smooth at speed. Was that F150 version a double cardon type?

8. njbronco

njbronco New Member

1974 Ford Bronco Sport
      nope, just a slip shaft. Flange at the TC was a bolt in, but I put a new ujoint in anyway. The other end was the conversion joint. Seems like a very straight shot at both ends. Not sure why a DC would be needed as there is pretty much no angle??

9. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Most others doing the BW4406 have had some vibration from the front shaft. Those with a DC shaft have had the best results so far.

I think it is all about the angles at the pinion and TC, just a little off and you get a vibration. I believe ideal is to have the two output shafts parallel, dead parallel. The DC joint can take more angles than the single u-joint type.