5.0 swap driveshafts... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap driveshafts...

njbronco

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1974 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm putting my 4406 in after work and im getting ready to figure out drive shafts.

I've been reading a lot of 2nd gen explorers used 98-03 f150 4.6 front shafts. So I think thats what I need as the sport trac uses the same (06/2001 sport trac)

Then I see to get a 5.4 expidetion rear shaft i think also 98-03 but they are too short for the sport trac. making me think, i just need both shafts from a 98-03 f150, just need to figure out cab and bed length.

my 4406 is out a 2004 new body style f150 if that changes anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shaft lengths are different for the 4.6 trucks, because the transmission is shorter than the one in 5.4 trucks. I think the rear may also be different in those, but the result is the rear shaft is longer in the 4.6 trucks. Since the Sport Trac has a longer wheel base than the 2nd gen 4dr's, that longer rear shaft from the 4.6 might be close.

I think you could figure out what length you need by comparing the shafts used in both converted AWD Sport Tracs and 4dr's, versus the shafts used in BW 4406 4dr's. You need to know how much longer the Sport Trac rear shaft is with AWD, than the 2nd gen 4dr's. That length is the difference in wheel base of the Sport Trac versus 4dr.

With that, just add it to the length of the many BW4406 4dr truck's shaft.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Do you know a specific year 4.6 I should be after? Like you said that 4.6 rear might be close, but the 4.6 was in a ton of vehicles. So I need a year to and model to start with at the yard. As in, I need the front and rear shaft from a 99 f150 4.6. Then I can go from there or am I after the 4.6 explorer 2ngen four door.

The shafts others are using is from the Expedition/Navigator, the 5.4 rear that is, from say 98-04's. I don't know how the F150's differ, the wheelbase and which transmissions affect the drive shaft length. There might be several OEM rear shafts that would bolt in. Some may be the right length but the front or rear flange is wrong, and needs to be replaced. You need to at least find one that's long enough, too short doesn't help at all.

The cost for drive shaft work has gone up a lot in the last 15 years. I paid a lot to have my front one rebuilt, basically a used 1st gen shaft with a new slip joint, $180ish IIRC. I think for that kind of money, you could do well to buy a new one made to order, or not much more than that.

03 f150 with the 4.6 had the perfect drive shaft. I used the MOOG 354 ujoint. Its in and I can confirm that my 4x4 drive works. was able to put it in 4x4 hi and move the truck with just the front shaft in.

Excellent, good find and I hope it's very smooth at speed. Was that F150 version a double cardon type?

nope, just a slip shaft. Flange at the TC was a bolt in, but I put a new ujoint in anyway. The other end was the conversion joint. Seems like a very straight shot at both ends. Not sure why a DC would be needed as there is pretty much no angle??

Most others doing the BW4406 have had some vibration from the front shaft. Those with a DC shaft have had the best results so far.

I think it is all about the angles at the pinion and TC, just a little off and you get a vibration. I believe ideal is to have the two output shafts parallel, dead parallel. The DC joint can take more angles than the single u-joint type.

03 f150 with the 4.6 had the perfect drive shaft. I used the MOOG 354 ujoint. Its in and I can confirm that my 4x4 drive works. was able to put it in 4x4 hi and move the truck with just the front shaft in.

Sorry for so new a comment. Was that for the front or rear driveshaft?

Front. I ordered a custom length Rear driveshaft.

Thanks for the quick response.

Hopefully this will clear up the driveshafts. So far the 90's F-150 4x4 133" wheelbase is supposed to be perfect for the rear and now the 03 for the front. Can't wait to purchase these and try them out.

Thanks for the quick response.

Hopefully this will clear up the driveshafts. So far the 90's F-150 4x4 133" wheelbase is supposed to be perfect for the rear and now the 03 for the front. Can't wait to purchase these and try them out.

It’s been a while since I finished y sport Trac. But I remember having lots of issues with the rear length. It was like $150 to go on eBay and order exactly what I need and I remember he told me what to measure and from what to what. Couple days later a nice drive shaft showed up to the house and bolted right in. Funny part is after bolting it in me and the wife took a three hour test drive on my swap. Half way up on the highway doing 85mph. I hear banging Pull over can’t figure it. Drive more does it again. Some guy stops and takes me to his house we go nuts looking.

it was the sticker... that damn custom logo sticker on the shaft. Was a heavy gauge vinyl. Banging the floor but when I stopped it looked normal. Yikes.

took me a year to work out the ABS which no works and I have the speedo working but issues over 75 with it so I justuse my gps to know that I’m driving way to fast. Lol

It’s been a while since I finished y sport Trac. But I remember having lots of issues with the rear length. It was like $150 to go on eBay and order exactly what I need and I remember he told me what to measure and from what to what. Couple days later a nice drive shaft showed up to the house and bolted right in. Funny part is after bolting it in me and the wife took a three hour test drive on my swap. Half way up on the highway doing 85mph. I hear banging Pull over can’t figure it. Drive more does it again. Some guy stops and takes me to his house we go nuts looking.

it was the sticker... that damn custom logo sticker on the shaft. Was a heavy gauge vinyl. Banging the floor but when I stopped it looked normal. Yikes.

took me a year to work out the ABS which no works and I have the speedo working but issues over 75 with it so I justuse my gps to know that I’m driving way to fast. Lol
That's funny and annoying at the same time.

I did get the drive shaft for 95 4x4 133" wheelbase. It's about 2-3 inches to long so I checked online and will bring it in to have it shortened but I want to wait til I have the truck back. A friend helped me bring it to the muffler shop, then off to a Ford dealer to have the PATS updated or removed and then back to the house. I have something with the wiring I am researching right now to get fixed. Summer went by way to fast. :(

See here:

02 ST converted to 5.0 I got the speedo, abs, cruise all working PERFECTLY using a Dakota digital speedo calibration unit

See here:

02 ST converted to 5.0 I got the speedo, abs, cruise all working PERFECTLY using a Dakota digital speedo calibration unit
I also used a Dakota digital unit. Something like sg5? That’s out of my head. Care to share your setting maybe mines just off.
As for the pats I bought the little box from China. It let me delete all the keys and then reprogram my two new keys. And I did not have the original keys. Just a random ecu from truck. And used the bcm from the sport trac and I got a column with cruise control from a different truck and used those keys. Lol. Had to wait like 45 minutes ever step of the way but it worked. Even used a vcmii to erase the ecm and reprogram it as a v8 explorer with my tracs vin. So I sail right through inspection with no issues

We piggybacked the 2000 explorer pats into the 02 trac wiring, all under the steering column
Then we used the 2000 ex key and tumbler to program some blank Ebay 02 trac keys we ad cut.
End result 02 sport trac key still fits door, tailgate, and stock ignition tumbler works with 2000 pats module and 5.0 pcm
I PM you the dakota box settings and math behind it, covered in that thread
Sport trac build thread here:
"
well done! Neat trick about the vin!

Back