Completed Project - 5.0 swap - w/ 4406 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 5.0 swap - w/ 4406

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well I think I figured out the fuel problem.. This is the dumbest.. I heard somewhere on the forum that the stock fuel lines on these trucks was 3/8". Well when I went to put a new fuel filter on today for good measure I realized that they are only 5/16 for the supply and return... Looks like some more modifications lay ahead

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yes Andy, OEM lines in general on all FORD EFI vehicles are 5/16", with 1/4" returns. Alone each component may be able to support 500hp, but as a system I think it's marginal. I "hear" the rails are good for 500hp etc, but like you just saw, the main lines are probably the weakest links.

I have had minor issues with the OEM fittings at the pumps or filters, but a couple of times it has been really tough. My Mountaineer had someone before me damage the main line at the tank connection, so it's very fragile now. I have had to R&R the tank twice before, and both times were not fun.

I think I will make lines that have AN fittings at the tank for sure, and probably at the filter too, for an aftermarket filter. It's hard to easily find a nice filter that looks like it will last a long time, and a high filtering capacity, priced fairly.

I wonder if the tank outlet connections(the steel lines) could be altered easily to adapt an AN fitting onto them?

I look forward to what you discover to work with.

I'm kind of wondering I need to change the lines in the fuel pump assembly as well or if going larger right after the 90 out of the tank would do it.. Otherwise it could get pretty custom

I understand, I was thinking that too until I decided 450hp is realistically possible. I believe with your limitation of the Eaton blower right now, you can leave the stock pickup assembly alone.

I suggest making new lines from there to the engine bay, with AN connections, and filter, but leave them a hair long(say 2"). Use the adapters that plug right into the OEM lines at the tank, and have an AN connection on the other side. If you need to alter the pickup later, you can still use the lines you make now. Make the main line 3/8", or 6 AN at least. That's one size larger than stock, and do the same for the return.

Fuel Lines Finished

I got them on! and the lean condition is fixed, finally! I started at the tank with -6AN line on the primary side all the way up to the new Trick Flow fuel rails. I used a masive flow fuel filter to reduce restriction. I used the stock return line from engine bay back to the tank. My fuel mixture on the driverside went from 13:1 down to 11.7:1! I'm very happy with this mod.

image_zps536fe80f.jpg

image_zps6b227fc0.jpg

image_zpsdccb3efb.jpg

image_zpsd90c5e1c.jpg

image_zps206308c7.jpg

I can get all the parts numbers if anyone wants them. Russel makes a special adapter to go from the stock fuel pump contection to a male -6 AN fitting. Right off of the fuel pump the line is 3/8" and necks down 5/16" right away in the stock fuel lines. 100% improvement!

Very nice! I'm sure anyone with a modified v8 would be interested in this. Heck, I think I might(other than the rails, of course). Very clean install, looks fantastic.

Excellent Andrew, that looks great. I like the black TFS fuel rails, and that the filter will work with the OEM bracket. Well done,

Thanks a lot guys!! I'll get the list up here. You're more than welcome to Tim! I kept this system looking as clean and close to stock looking as I could.

I don't know if the power is more even now or not but it definitely has plenty of power!! I had 3 friends with me last night and ended up in a race against a new 5.0 mustang GT from 60 to 95 mph and pulled ahead by a half a car length! Idk if it was a fluke or what but I was pretty happy lol

Sweet, having fun!

Parts List (summit racing #'s):

TFS51580001 - Fuel Rail Kit
PFS10300 - Fuel Filter
EAR360165ERL - Adapter from -6 AN to 5/16" tube
RUS640850 - Adapter from stock 3/8" line at tank to -6 AN.

Those are the critical parts that made this project possible. I also used about 15' of -6 AN hose, various -6 AN fittings, and a 0-100 psi pressure gauge.

Thanks Andrew. This is great info.

Oh for the record, during my research I found out that the Trick Flow Fuel rail kit is made by Aeromotive. The difference between the 2 kits is that the Aeromotive one is red and it comes with a $70 fuel pressure gauge. I opted to go with the Trick Flow kit and buy a summit racing $30 gauge.

I like that black better.

What fuel pressure regulator are you using? I've wondered what the best location for that would be, how'd that go?

I'm using the Trick Flow fuel regulator that came with the kit. It is a very high quality unit. I made a bracket and mounted it to my fire wall as seen in one of my pictures. The only problem I'm expirencing is that I can hear the fuel flowing through the regulator from inside the truck, due to it being mounted without rubber to the fire wall.

I thought that was it, and I guess it needs to be isolated too.

Coil Packs

Well guys I have confermation that MSD coil packs are not what they are cracked up to be. After having a hunch that my MSD's were giving my fits in the higher RPMs I switched back to my stock coils (with 180k miles on them). Those worked until I pulled it out of the garage and found out 1 of those had a dead coil. Proceeded to put one MSD back on and drove it. I did many tests from a dead stop running the rpms up to 5600 with no problems... So I'm like, maybe I was imagining problems with the MSDs (since I had 1 stock one on and 1 MSD). I put the other MSD back on and took it for a test. Immediately I noticed it not running as smooth. I then put it to the floor and when it hit about 5000 rpms and it started missing all over the place (as if it were breaking up due to floating valves or bad points) until it shifted into second. SOB... so I went and put the good stock one back on and it runs fine again..

I've heard from multiple sources now that MSD is much lower quality than it used to be and I guess it's true. I've also been hearing that Motorcraft coil packs are the best we can buy for our trucks. Guess I'll be getting a new set of Motorcrafts soon, before AFN! Can't have mismatched coils for a show!

Well guys I have confermation that MSD coil packs are not what they are cracked up to be. After having a hunch that my MSD's were giving my fits in the higher RPMs I switched back to my stock coils (with 180k miles on them). Those worked until I pulled it out of the garage and found out 1 of those had a dead coil. Proceeded to put one MSD back on and drove it. I did many tests from a dead stop running the rpms up to 5600 with no problems... So I'm like, maybe I was imagining problems with the MSDs (since I had 1 stock one on and 1 MSD). I put the other MSD back on and took it for a test. Immediately I noticed it not running as smooth. I then put it to the floor and when it hit about 5000 rpms and it started missing all over the place (as if it were breaking up due to floating valves or bad points) until it shifted into second. SOB... so I went and put the good stock one back on and it runs fine again..

I've heard from multiple sources now that MSD is much lower quality than it used to be and I guess it's true. I've also been hearing that Motorcraft coil packs are the best we can buy for our trucks. Guess I'll be getting a new set of Motorcrafts soon, before AFN! Can't have mismatched coils for a show!

Interesting, and do you recall that I had one Accel coil pack go bad over a year ago?

I bought them new about 3000 miles and over two years earlier. I had a miss which began right after leaving work one day. I spent time going through the tune up items, even swapping back to some older plugs. My miss was on #1 and #3 cylinders most of the time. I didn't imagine I could have a new coil pack bad, I never thought of it. I then replace the fuel injectors with rebuilt eBay units. No joy, same issue, and I thought over what I had done so far, and a day or two later I dug out my old coils and swapped the one that feeds 1/3 out, bingo.

I guess it doesn't always pay to attempt to upgrade some parts. I didn't have any issues with a Screamin Demon coil for my V6, but it didn't show any real improvement either.

I'll stay with OEM coils also.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright guys. I made it to the drag strip on Friday. What are the guesses for 1/4 mile time and at what speed?

Back