5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
This swap, although a simple bolt in, is quite a task. I am going to try and complete in one week, and I believe it to be very possible. I will try to address any issues I faced with this swap. I will not go into extreme detail when it comes to basic stuff. If you plan to attempt a swap such as this, you should have a decent idea what you are getting into. I am happy to answer questions though. I just don't have the time to tell you how to remove every part on the vehicle.

Here is what is going on:

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Explorer Sport w/ 4.0L OHV, 4.10 gears, and 45k miles

truck.JPG

Donor: 2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L V8 Rollover, 43k miles

IMG_1947_Medium_.jpg

Modifications to 5.0 Drivetrain:
Torque monster headers
Comp cams camshaft (will let you know what it is when I see that it runs. lol)
Comp cams valve springs
1" Trick flow upper intake spacer.
Transgo Shift kit for 4R70W
1.6:1 Roller rockers
FMS cast aluminim valve covers (no purpose really except to look cool)
Taylor Plug Wires
......more specifics when I get time.

The engine, when pulled was not so appealing to the eye. I went ahead and did some cleaning and painting to get it looking real nice. How long it will last is unknown, but I hope it will stay looking half way decent.

Before:

5_0.jpg

intake_b4.jpg

After:
IMG_2238_Large_Medium_.jpg

DSC01397_Medium_.JPG

10-22-06
Got the V6 out
DSC01563_Medium_.JPG

DSC01557_Medium_.JPG

DSC01566_Medium_.JPG

12-27-06
Engine engine bay wiring has been switched, brake booster was changed out with the V8 one, and engine mounts were changed. I thought the engine mounts were the same, but I compared them and the V8 ones were a little beefier, so I swapped them out. In order for me to do this I had to drop the front axle a couple inches. It wasn't too bad. I also encountered an issue with the power steering cooler. The V6 and V8 ones are different! I did not expect this, and have already sold my V8 cooler. ped5stang from midwest mustang is sending me the proper one though. For now, I am going to rig up my V6 one to work.

After getting all of this taken care of, my friend came over and we changed out the head gaskets. There was some crap in the engine from it sitting around the garage for a long time, so it was good to clean it all out. Fresh gaskets and bolts should make it seal like new. After doing that, we got some transmission fluid, filled up the torque converter a bit, and shoved the transmission under The truck. Then we lowered the engine into place. It took a little bit of work, but turned out to be much easier than I had expected. So that is all in place and tomorrow I am going to finish up as many little things as possible.
I will edit this post and update more as I go............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

friggin sweet!

Want to sell me the 2000 Mounty front bumper cover and brackets?
Also interested in the grill headlights if they are in as good as shape as they appear, I want to convert my 96 to use that 98+ Mounty front end like your Sport....but the bumper cover is what I need th emost, like yesterday I hate my 96 style bumper.

Swap looks great so far! You are going to love this 5.0L with those 4.10

Haha 410, I have had this mounty for over a year, and the mountaineer headlights you see on my X are from the donor. I also have since repaired the bumper cover, painted it, and sold it to a fellow MN Explorer owner. I have very few parts left.

I can't wait to see how it runs with the 5.0. I am working on cleaning up the engine bay, changing out the wiring, undercoating trans tunnel, and switching out throttle and trans cables now, so the V8 can go in on Tuesday hopefully.

now thsi is interesting! and if it works....im going to b damn jealous

would you stop teasing me!!!!!

what do you mean if it works?
a 99 explorer is a 99 explorer, no matter what comes under the hood you have th option of putting 3 drivetrains in there, 4 OHV, SOHC, or 5.0L
They built them from the factory, all he is doing is building his own, with two doors, something FORD should have done

it will work! it will work!! I know the feeling and you are STOKED
just wait until 3-4 days have gone by after its running, you work out bugs and start getting some confidence to drive it.....zoom zooom zooom

Great preparation Eric, you should have no big trouble there. Just ask us anything if you need to. Regards,

Will this work on the newer Sports too? I want a V8 in mine!!

FordSparkleSide.JPG

:salute:

Subscribing to this thread!! You are doing what I want to do to my X once I can afford to get all the parts. Keep it going, the pictures are great! Helps me to visulize what mine will look like some day. When you are finished, can you tell us what the cost was?

Can't wait to see it done! There's a little of that old mounty in mine!! lol.

Your 01 Sport is identical mostly to the 96+ V8 explorer, yes it will work.
If the vehicle has a SOHC engine in it from the factory the 5.0L will bolt in place. Ranger, Sport Trac, 2-4 door Ex, Any Ex 95-2001 with the torsion bar IFS, 2wd or 4wd depending on your conversion.
With the 2 door, sport trac, Ranger you may have to do some exhaust work and a driveshaft, the 4 door ex you can take every part you need from one truck and bolt it in

that's awesome! i have a sohc donor for my 97 sport ohv. Someday i will do the swap.

99SportX,
When you lowered the rear of your truck, did you have to do anything to make it work? I have looked at mine and from what I can tell, I just need to put the 4 spacers inbetween the axle and the monoleaf. Is that what you did?

Great thread! :)

99SportX,
When you lowered the rear of your truck, did you have to do anything to make it work? I have looked at mine and from what I can tell, I just need to put the 4 spacers inbetween the axle and the monoleaf. Is that what you did?

Yes, that is how I did it. It worked perfect, and was free. I have since upgraded to the multi-leaf 4-door springs and am now using 2" lowering blocks.

Wanted to subscribe and ask a favor from the donor vehicle: Any possibility you could mail me the ground strap that runs from the hood ot the passenger side fender? Mine's broken and I think that could be part of what's accelerating the hood corrosion.

Thanks!

I have run the motor today, but now I am having starter troubles. I just want to get this thing on the road!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great project...one more thing for me to dream about doing

Back