50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............ | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............

ok, just went and did it,
managed to get THREE on there without messing up idle. Huge difference in stiffness of the pedal, huge difference in throttle response. Not so much in power, but, It really does feel like i'm driving a new car.. wwow! :thumbsup:

(I left the truck running while I was pulling on the cable to make sure I wasn't affecting idle, accidentally pulled the cable to far and revv'ed up the Flowmaster... at 11o'clock my neighbors weren't so happy about that.. :p)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, just went and did it,
managed to get THREE on there without messing up idle. Huge difference in stiffness of the pedal, huge difference in throttle response. Not so much in power, but, It really does feel like i'm driving a new car.. wwow! :thumbsup:

(I left the truck running while I was pulling on the cable to make sure I wasn't affecting idle, accidentally pulled the cable to far and revv'ed up the Flowmaster... at 11o'clock my neighbors weren't so happy about that.. :p)

lol! Screw the neighbors.

well its 3 am here and i had nothing better to do but to go out to my ex and have a look. i remembered doing this when i got the truck but somthing over the past couple days told me it wasnt driving like it should. anyhow, i go out and sure enough my old zipties were sitting under my floormat. this time i used heavy duty ones and manage to get 3 on there. cant wait for daylight so i can take it for a spin and also test out my new BWM. those two together should call for a fun day.....i pray nothing breaks or goes wrong. i just did a complete tune up including a new coil pack so i know the power is in there now its time to unleash the beast.....well as much as i can i do have a '98 OHV, lol

Definitely should be a fun day for you. Should be a fun day for me too, I think im gunna take the R1 for a spin. Havnt went for a ride in awhile, just commuting.

Hate to be dense, but I think I'm confused. :scratch: It definitely looks like something I really want to try as 5th gear is pretty much just a myth on my car and the "lag" is insane. But how's this work? Looking at the video, (thanks btw!!!), it looks like you just pull some zip ties in between the space where the pedal meets the rubber bumper. So if I'm understanding it correctly, the zip ties aren't acting as "tensioners" but more as spacers...?

That can't be right - is it? :confused:

By the way, I have a '99 SOHC XLT if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Thats right...pull the pedal out, so you can see the gap, and just put the zipties in. All they do it act as spacers to eat the slack.

Hate to be dense, but I think I'm confused. :scratch: It definitely looks like something I really want to try as 5th gear is pretty much just a myth on my car and the "lag" is insane. But how's this work? Looking at the video, (thanks btw!!!), it looks like you just pull some zip ties in between the space where the pedal meets the rubber bumper. So if I'm understanding it correctly, the zip ties aren't acting as "tensioners" but more as spacers...?

That can't be right - is it? :confused:

By the way, I have a '99 SOHC XLT if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Your right, they just act as spacers. :)

Your welcome.

Yep, theyre just spacers, might sound rigged or something, but it actually does work, and it makes quite the difference

Thank you! Now it's making a lot more sense. :thumbsup: I got about a dozen zip ties and a plan! :D Definitely reporting back once it's done.

Thanks!

.....Never would have thought of that..Good info.

Did this to my 1rst gen about a week ago. My throttle reponse is better than it's ever been! Kudos to whoever came up with this idea

Thank you! Now it's making a lot more sense. :thumbsup: I got about a dozen zip ties and a plan! :D Definitely reporting back once it's done.

Thanks!

NP. Looking forward to the update.

.....Never would have thought of that..Good info.

Made a huge difference on both my vehicles, thats for sure. The new vehicles are electronically controlled though, so it only works for the guys/gals with the "beaters" :)

Did this to my 1rst gen about a week ago. My throttle reponse is better than it's ever been! Kudos to whoever came up with this idea

I sure didnt come up with it. Im just the "youtube guy". Im sure you know that though. But yes, props to whoever found this out.

I sure didnt come up with it. Im just the "youtube guy". Im sure you know that though. But yes, props to whoever found this out.

You can say that again. Probably one of the oldest mods on this site (aka "throttle cable mod") and one of the first mods I ever did on my '00 Sport (long since traded on my current ride).

I'm surprised at how many people haven't heard of it before.

I have a 94 and noticed I have 2 cables coming through the top of my pedal. Both are slack to all heck but I don't want to mess anything up. Obviously one is the throttle cable and one is something else. I am at work, on my phone and don't have my book here. Can anyone help me on the fly? Can't post a pic with my crackberry either. Help me out!!

the cable with the spring/return on the end is the throttle cable, the other is the "kickdown" cable

I have a 94 and noticed I have 2 cables coming through the top of my pedal. Both are slack to all heck but I don't want to mess anything up. Obviously one is the throttle cable and one is something else. I am at work, on my phone and don't have my book here. Can anyone help me on the fly? Can't post a pic with my crackberry either. Help me out!!
the top one is the kick down cable the bottom is the throttle
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool. I just wanted to be sure of what it was. Should a guy take the slack out of the kickdown too?

Cool. I just wanted to be sure of what it was. Should a guy take the slack out of the kickdown too?

I wouldnt
Posted via Mobile Device

Dont mess with the kickdown. Just the throttle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back