1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5r55e long hesitation going into forward gear

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Ngrimm, October 27, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ngrimm

Ngrimm Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Medford, Oregon
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Sport Trac
      Forscan shows no fault codes. There is no delay going into reverse and the transmission works perfectly once it finally goes into drive. Also it doesn't matter which forward position the shifter is in. I have checked both line and EPC pressures and they appear to be within spec and don't really change while I wait for it to engage. The delay can be up to 30 seconds when cold and as little as 5 seconds when warm. If I blip the throttle a little it will engage quicker which I assume is due to higher pressure. I don't like to do that since it jerks into gear. So I'm trying to figure out whether the problem is more likely to be caused by a valve in the valve body sticking or leaking as opposed to a piston seal etc. Any ideas? Norm

Last edited: November 14, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Check your fluid

4. Ngrimm

Ngrimm Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Medford, Oregon
      2002 Sport Trac
      I previously replaced the filter and filled the trans with fluid. I think the trans had been sitting for a while as it came from a wrecked truck. Thank you.

5. Ngrimm

Ngrimm Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Medford, Oregon
      2002 Sport Trac
      I ordered valve body gaskets today. I have a spare 5r55e from slightly older truck. I figured I could put that valve body in the 5r55e since it is supposed to be the same. Anyone know of a way to test the forward clutch piston using air pressure without having to buy a test plate?

Last edited: November 7, 2017
    6. Ngrimm

Ngrimm Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Medford, Oregon
      2002 Sport Trac
      The whole thing started when I had to swap out the transmission since the one that was in the truck turned out to be a slightly older 5r55e and it didn't doesn't have the center speed sensor (I don't recall which one that is) and it would throw a code. The seller told me it needed a new sensor but he didn't say it was because it had the wrong transmission. He included what he said was a good transmission out of a wrecked truck. That one has the middle sensor. I took his word that it was good so I now have the correct transmission with no codes.

Since it hesitated going into drive, I replaced the valve body with the one from the good albeit wrong transmission that I pulled out and it seems that the problem changed a little. It is still very slow to engage in the D position when warm but R, 1 and 2 respond pretty quickly. When cold it works pretty well. When warm If I start out in manual 1 or 2 and then switch to D, all is good. The line pressure seems high enough but while waiting for 1st to engage in D, the gauge vibrates and the needle flutters. Once it engages, the gauge is smooth again. Epc pressure is smooth. Thank you for any help. Norm

Last edited: November 7, 2017
    7. Ngrimm

Ngrimm Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Medford, Oregon
      2002 Sport Trac
      I decided to remove and rebuild the transmission. The good thing is that I have the other transmission for parts. I thought about getting a j/y transmission but who knows how good it would be. I read the 5r55e Rebuild Diary and watched several videos. Norm

Last edited: November 9, 2017
    8. Ngrimm

Ngrimm Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Medford, Oregon
      2002 Sport Trac
      I found my problem. The forward clutch pack was smoked but everything else looks pretty good.