5R55E lost all gears, no D, no R, no 1 and 2 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E lost all gears, no D, no R, no 1 and 2

Good afternoon! Now I measured line pressure - it is "0", transmission fluid is cold. It is the fluid pump failed? Ore maybe trouble shift with valve body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think, when I rebuild valve body I incorrectly installed plugs ore/and “L” shaped retainers. Tomorrow I will dismantle the valve body.

The pump will break and not make a sound. Having low or no pressure is about the only symptoms a failed pump will give. Valve body gaskets should be ok to reuse.

If you have zero pressure your pump has failed. Period. Nothing else is going to help. Sounds like you had not installed torque converter properly.

As I understand it, the oil supply comes from the pump through the central support in the valve body? And, if the plunger is incorrectly installed (that is, the ends of the installation are confused, or they are jammed in the closed position), then the line pressure may not be? Am I right or wrong? Thanks in advance for the tips!

If you have zero pressure your pump has failed. Period. Nothing else is going to help. Sounds like you had not installed torque converter properly.
Только что прочел Ваше сообщение, чем чревата неправильная установка гидротрансформатора?

Т
Только что прочел Ваше сообщение, чем чревата неправильная установка гидротрансформатора?
Just read your message, what is wrong with the installation of the torque converter? How to properly install the torque сonverter?

Incorrect installation of the torque converter could occur during the installation of the automatic transmission on the car? Or was the torque converter incorrectly alignment on the pump?

Tomorrow I will remove the automatic transmission from the car, I have any worked fluid pump. Is it possible to alignment another pump with an installed oil seal and a bushing on the automatic transmission bell? Or it is necessary to remove the oil seal and bush, then just alignment?

You will need to remove the bell housing and remove the pump to inspect it. You can use the housing with the new seal and bushing over if it is not damaged. May just need new pump stator and gears. Also inspect the torque converter hub for damage. How did you align the pump to bell housing on rebuild?

You will need to remove the bell housing and remove the pump to inspect it. You can use the housing with the new seal and bushing over if it is not damaged. May just need new pump stator and gears. Also inspect the torque converter hub for damage. How did you align the pump to bell housing on rebuild?
@transman304
I am interested to know that 5r55e has a removable bell housing. Searched images, and it actually looks like the bell is removable, similar in fashion to C-4, with bolts inside the bell? imp

EDIT: Is it possible to get the pressure relief valve in the valve body stuck open for whatever reason? Or is the relief built into the pump? imp

Tomorrow I will remove the automatic transmission from the car, I have any worked fluid pump. Is it possible to alignment another pump with an installed oil seal and a bushing on the automatic transmission bell? Or it is necessary to remove the oil seal and bush, then just alignment?
@anderson83
You must be very careful when sliding the converter into it's location in the pump housing. The drive "tangs" on the converter hub must engage the pump gear. If they do not, then tightening the transmission to engine bolts commonly breaks the pump. When placing the transmission up against the engine, it should go right against the engine without using a lot of force. imp

I did align the pump to bell housing on rebuild whith the torque converter, I'm not have the special tools for alignment.

@anderson83
You must be very careful when sliding the converter into it's location in the pump housing. The drive "tangs" on the converter hub must engage the pump gear. If they do not, then tightening the transmission to engine bolts commonly breaks the pump. When placing the transmission up against the engine, it should go right against the engine without using a lot of force. imp
Thank you!

33CF8E32-EE89-4910-983B-73B221E02556.jpeg
@transman304
I am interested to know that 5r55e has a removable bell housing. Searched images, and it actually looks like the bell is removable, similar in fashion to C-4, with bolts inside the bell? imp

EDIT: Is it possible to get the pressure relief valve in the valve body stuck open for whatever reason? Or is the relief built into the pump? imp

The pressure regulator is in the valve body. And this is how the A4LD and 4/5R44/55E have the pump set up.

Good evening! I apologize for not being connected for a long time - I was on a sick leave, so I only took the gearbox today. The gear wheel has cracked, the slots on the torque converter are lapped, the photo below. I'll try to align the splines on the converter, replace the gear.

WP_20171202_001.jpg

WP_20171202_002.jpg

WP_20171202_003.jpg

WP_20171202_005.jpg

WP_20171202_006.jpg

WP_20171202_007.jpg

WP_20171202_011.jpg

WP_20171202_012.jpg

WP_20171202_013.jpg

I ask you to help me with advice: is it worth changing the bronze bushing and the seal? Can I still level the splines on the torque converter, or is it better to replace the converter neck?

Also interested in this question: these damages occurred due to improper installation of the gearbox on the car or because of incorrect alignment of the converter and pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also interested in this question: these damages occurred due to improper installation of the gearbox on the car or because of incorrect alignment of the converter and pump?
@anderson83
Most likely, yes. The mis-aligned flats on the hub are forced against the pump drive gear with sufficient force to break the gear, as the transmission to engine bolts are tightened. This is why it is good insurance to make sure the transmission bell housing mates flat against the engine by moviong the two together by hand force only. Then tighten bolts. imp

Back