5R55E Transmission problems after Valve Body replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission problems after Valve Body replacement

mrb09c

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer 4X4
Hello All,

I just replaced the valve body gaskets on my 5r55e transmission after gears were slipping and I was receiving a code for the TCC solenoid. Turned out the VB Gasket was blown along the strip of solenoids as well as on the small outside strip around the low/reverse servo (not the individual servo gasket, tho). I replaced the VB gaskets and TCC solenoid being very careful and torquing everything down to spec and ensuring the manual valve link was properly aligned. I filled the transmission up with almost 8 qts and now have the following symptoms, going in the order of shifting:
-Reverse, does not work and remains still.
-Neutral, acts the same as reverse currently does.
-Drive, remains still.
-2nd, finally puts the vehicle in gear.
-1st, feels identical as 2nd no change.
Then coming back up the gears..
-Drive, the transmission remains in gear, does not feel any change from 2nd.
-Neutral, takes it back out of gear.
-Reverse, no change vehicle remains still.
-Park, puts it in park.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be going on here? I'll ensure I keep updating this thread until the problem is fully resolved.

With the price of using fully synthetic fluid, I hate to keep dumping it out to fill it back up with another 8 qts to find out it was another waste of fluid. (I'll admit I already did this once after I realized I didn't line up the manual valve) Is there any method anyone has come up with to reclaim the brand new fluid to reuse again??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: I let the vehicle sit the rest of the day and the reverse worked. I drove it around the block, but not a mile down the road the transmission started flaring up what I imagine is similar to that 2 and 3 gear flare up people are talking about with this transmission. I've never actually had that problem with this transmission before so that's interesting... Anyways, I ended up making it back to my garage and the transmission had practically lost all it's power. When I stopped in my garage, none of my gears were working again (R, N, or D). I checked the level and the line was just below the fill line. I'll need to run out and grab another qt or two but I can't seem to believe that the slightly low fluid level would affect it this much....

Update: I added another qt to the transmission and exact same symptoms occurred as in my last post.
- I reversed out of my driveway
- drove around the block (~1 mile run)
- transmission kept slipping out of gear when accelerating around 25 mph
- got back to my driveway and put it in park
- (after a second) I put it back in drive and it barely went back into gear enough for me to pull it into my garage
- I checked the fluid level and it is in the hash marks of the transmission dipstick....

Any suggestions from anyone?
Is my new TCC solenoid to blame for this?
At this point should I just throw a new valve body w/ solenoids at this thing....

Check the EPC solenoid make sure its in its bracket correctly as well as all the other solenoids and that the bracket is not broken, also make sure the end plug for the 2-3 shift valve is correctly installed, if it's in too far it can cause the shift valve to block the oil to the low band and you will have no reverse.

%2Fwww.ford-trucks.com%2Fforums%2Fforum69%2Findex3.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I will go ahead and pull the VB and check out the position of all the solenoids, especially the EPC. Any advice on catching/reusing my new transmission fluid I just put in?

Use a clean bucket and drop one edge of the pan to let it slowly drain.

I pulled my VB to inspect it and I couldn't find any solenoids rotated or anything out of place so I ordered a remanufactured valve body with the updated shift. This VB came with a tapered orifice that I had to install into a hole. The vehicle shifts a little hard and when starting off it doesn't seem to want to shift until I let back on the accelerator. After driving it for about 5 miles, the O/D off light started flashing and along with it the typical hard shifting.

I'm a little lost on what I need to do next, is it possible this problem is still related to the VB or am I looking at a more in depth fix here?

If the tapered orifice wasn't installed all the way in the hole could this cause the problem?

Update:

Drove to work this morning and the transmission was shifting hard up and down all of the gears. I got home this afternoon, hooked up the computer and it read the same "P0741 TCC circuit performance or stuck off" that I had before I replaced the VB.

Update:

Replaced Rear ABS Sensor located on top of rear differential due to another code that I've had for quite a long time. Hard shifting seemed to go away during test drive until after several miles, then I noticed a hard downshift while making a turn off the main road onto a side road. During this test drive it did not seem like I had a strong transmission of acceleration; it almost seemed like the transmission was wanting to slip but never did. Checked the fluid level after I returned home and it was almost 1" above the hash marks on the dipstick.

Have you replaced the torque converter yet?

Have you replaced the torque converter yet?

No I haven't, now I really wish I would've thought to do that, I just had the engine out not two weeks ago...

Update:

After driving it today vehicle drove great, no slipping of the torque converter (even when demanding acceleration).

Only issue was after a mile of driving I was going up a steady hill and the O/D off light started flashing and the accompanying hard downshift.

After replacing the valve body with a re-manufactured one with all new solenoids and changing this rear abs sensor, what else is there to look out for that could cause this issue? I could understand a bad torque converter causing some slippage but could it be at fault for the O/D off light flashing problem?

If the TCC solenoid and valve body didn't take care of the P0741 code, the only other trouble areas would be the pump stator sealing ring and or the converter itself.

The hard shift you are feeling is because the computer has detected a problem with the transmission (P0741) and it will raise the line pressure to help the transmission work so you can get it repaired and this can make the shifts a little harsh.

The computer will set a P0741 code when it detects slippage with the converter clutch, it doesn't mean that it's just for the solenoid, it is a vague code that is referring to the entire TCC system.

Solenoid, valve body, pump, and converter are the items that make up the converter clutch system for the transmission.

Your issue is most likely the converter, while it's out it would be a good idea to replace the seal on the end of the pump stator, and make sure you use a solid teflon sealing ring.

Okay, so I finally had the time to change out my torque converter along with the front seal. After finally being able to do enough driving on the new parts to get a feel for the results it appears that the flashing O/D light is gone and has not come back yet. I do however still feel a little hesitation or slipping happening in two scenarios; One if the transmission is receiving low rpms and I'm still pushing to try and accelerate (ex: going up a hill). And two if I'm hitting the accelerator hard in normal flat conditions trying to do a quick acceleration (3500+ rpms).

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with the outcome of the work this far since the O/D off light has quit coming on and causing nonstop shifting problems. I would like to continue working on this transmission if there are any others repairs I can do short of swapping in a new transmission. If anyone has anymore thoughts on my next steps I certainly welcome it.

Thank you,
Morgan

Idk if the 5r55e is same as the 5r55s but maybe the servos are worn..you did adjust the bands after all those changes correct?

No, I never touched the bands, I assumed the problem was just the Valve body and gasket since the gasket was blown so I just swapped out the valve body along with a new VB gasket.

You may want to reboot the PCM. As nothing has told it you fixed the trans.
I like to do this by taking both battery terminals OFF of the battery and touching them together or putting wire in between them to close the circuit then turn on head light switch,hit the brake pedal and blow the horn. You are trying to drain the keep alive memory. Then put terminals back on battery. Will be reset to factory default settings.

Id adjust the bands just to be safe and do a master reset like mentioned also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back