5R55E Transmission Problems | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission Problems

A few choice words I'm sure. That blows.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission

So,
I was thinking....
Torque converter lock up should be able to be achieved in 4rth gear, 5th(O/D) is not the only gear that it happens. My next thought is maybe drive the vehicle with O/D turned off and see if the transmission tries to command TCC lock up and if it does will it work or slip in 4rth. If it does not slip maybe it is the valve body, if it does slip it is the O/D servo internally leaking.

Fluid Flow diagrams

Does anyone have fluid flow diagrams for the 5R55E?
I swore I had them somewhere, cant find them. I have an ATSG manual but they are not in there. I swore I had them somewhere....

Sonnax

I found this on Sonnax's website. I ordered another bonded separator plate so I can put my old ford valve body back on. If the problem goes away then I know where to look in this reman valve body for problems. I like how they also refer to the new uncut stator seal and torque converter.(which I just replaced).
Here it is.

TCC Regulator Valve
Excess TCC slip or code 628 or 741 is often caused by low apply pressure. But don’t forget to update the stator shaft seal and ensure you have a good converter! The TCC regulator valve is designed to limit apply pressure to protect the converter piston. The bore for this valve wears and apply pressure is reduced, so the TCC percentage you saw on the scanner can no longer control the slip RPM.

On a road test, TCC slip is available with a scanner, seen as TCCMACT RPM. This is calculated or actual engine RPM to turbine RPM difference. When you see a TCC percentage of 70% or higher and high slip of TCCMACT RPM 140 or more, your apply circuit has insufficient clamping force. But is it due to converter, seal or insufficient apply pressure?

That zip kit from them I mentioned has saved me time and money for several of these persistent codes for all makes.

Valve Body

transman304
What are your thoughts on TransGo stuff?
Reason I ask is because I installed a reman valve body from shiftritetransmissions on eBay and it had this in the description.
TransGo Shift Correction Kit INSTALLED (#SK44-55E)
Here is one on eBay still
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55E-4WD-V...TURED-REBUILT-4R55E-4R44E-5R44E-/281381157143

I installed this when I had no movement from the transmission because I had previously heard a ticking noise that sounded loudest from the pan with a stethoscope. After installing it still did not work so that's when I pulled it to find the pump shot(JK80 was a big help with that one). So I figure I had no problem with the torque converter slipping with the Ford valvebody so I will put it back in to see if the reman one is the cause of my newest problem of TCC slip.

Now if the TCC slip problem goes away with the Ford valve body back in should I try the zip kit on the reman valvebody to see if it fixes it? I would be afraid to do that because it already had Transgo modifications to it. I noticed the separator plate was a different one than the one that came out of my truck. I would not know which one of those to use either. I guess I could ask shiftritetransmissions about that.
I just looked and it says lifetime warranty in eBay on the valvebody. I guess I could just send it back.

I would not mix and match kits. Transgo stuff is good but in a situation you are having Sonnax stuff will restore the integrity of the valve train with out having to cross drill or plug holes to redirect flow and pressure to overcome a worn part.

parts

That makes sense.
I like to stay with the parts that are closest to oem when possible.

pdf

thanks for the pdf file link.
I do have access to all that stuff but it was good seeing it as it was created for the Ranger and Aerostar. I skimmed through it stopping to pay attention to some area's of interest.

I was looking for hydraulic fluid flow diagrams for the torque convert circuit. They were not in there, I am not surprised because I have access to Ford's website where all the latest updates and current information is and it is not there either. I guess I am thinking back to old books from back in time like the Turbo Hydromatac 350 etc. I used to have books that showed fluid flow through every nook and cranny of those older transmissions. I guess what I was looking for may not exist.

I did come across a familiar part in the diagnostic section of the pdf you linked to. It was the "Hydraulic Routine" number 342. I guess that is where I am at in the diagnostic process. Problem is that it is not the kind of testing that can pin point the exact problem like pin point tests do. It is more of a "check for this or that" kind of thing.
I am posting a picture of the electrical and hydraulic routines. They are based off the symptom chart. The electrical routine is ruled out since I am only having a slip instead of a completely non functional torque converter lock up function. I have also ruled out the Fluid and Torque Converter Clutch Assembly. What's left are the Main Control Assembly and Pump Assembly Sections. If swapping out the Valve body doesn't fix the slipping TCC, then there is probably something wrong with the Pump assembly I just put in.
Still waiting on the bonded separator plate to show up so I can swap the valve bodies. Wish me luck, lol.

Edit,
Note: I don't have Cycling/Shudder/Chatter like listed over top the chart. The chart just doesn't list slipping torque converter which is what I have. Same diagnostic area so this chart does apply to slipping.

Attachments

• Hydraulic Routine 342.jpg
    Hydraulic Routine 342.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 260

Separator plate

The plate with bonded gaskets showed up so I have no excuse for getting to it this weekend. I doubled Monday and am doubling tomorrow. Snowed here too.
Got to clean off two vehicles to move them around and get my 4 door in the garage again. It is supposed to be very cold, great.
This time I will not drop the drain plug into the funnel.
lol.

Its nice to see stupid things happen to smart, experienced people also LOL

Lets see...weekend excuses.
1. Im tired from working endless doubles and need some couch time
2. Its cold
3. Im tired of rolling around on the ground with ATF dripping on me
4. Im tired, its cold outside, and I hate the smell of ATF following me wherever I go.

Um, you have lots of reason not to do the job this weekend.

Don't know man, If it were me, this job just might not happen this weekend.

Saturday

And the forecast here for Saturday is........
20 degrees.
The Coca Cola will have to keep me awake.
The Captain will have to keep me warm.
Well, that and the propane heater.
And layers of clothes.

Having to stop every 2 days for gas is annoying me. Got to get this done.

Ah, the Captain. I'm good friends with him. We still get together from time to time.

against me

The powers that be are against me.
I installed my old valve body that I bought brand new from Ford and put over 100,000 miles on. I used a new bonded separator plate. Torqued all the bolts.
I did not drink at all. I was careful and paid attention to detail. I did not drop the drain plug into the funnel. It was freezing cold for New Jersey, high of 20 degree's. I used my propane heater to get as warm as possible.
But still, FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went from slipping TCC to slipping Drive? Slow engagement into D.
Wont shift right, seems like I only have 2 gears. Seems like it holds first or second gear forever.
Anyway, it is messed up worse. I must have messed up the valve body when I took it apart to inspect it when I was swapping it out with the one from shiftritetransmissions.

Tomorrow I will hook up the NGS and see what gears I actually have. Doesn't really matter, I will put another valve body in since it only had a slipping TCC with the last one.

The shiftritetransmission valvebody has a lifetime warranty so I will be swapping in another one of those and if the first one turns up to be defective then at least I will know what it was.

You are a very patient man.

i would have set it on fire by now. that or said eff it, and got a different trans, and walked away

Got matches?

!

Attachments

• explorer fire.jpg
    explorer fire.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 823

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No more TCC slip

I replaced the valve body with another remanufactured unit. No more slipping Torque converter, no blinking light. All seems to be well.
Now the exhaust has gotten real loud due to the resonator rotting apart on the insides. Probably have to have the cat back system replaced, I have a lifetime warranty on the muffler but will have to pay for the pipes and resonator. Maybe Monday I will get that done.

Here is a screen shot of the latest datalog with no TCC slippage. The bottom picture is from when it was slipping for comparison.

Attachments

• 4 Door no TCC slip.jpg
    4 Door no TCC slip.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 4 Door TCC slipping.jpg
    4 Door TCC slipping.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 324

Back