Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5R55E Transmission Rebuild Tools

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by elittleton73, October 26, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. elittleton73

elittleton73 New Member

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      1998 XLT
      Could anyone tell me what tools are required to rebuild the 5R55E transmission? According to the manual, several specialty tools are required, but according to some people I've spoken with, most of these tools are not necessary. One can use other tools to get the job done.

If anyone who has done this can enlightenment me on how they did it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know if these tools can be rented.

One other quick question. Is a transmission jack required to remove the transmission or can another jack be used to do the job?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      There is an adapter for a regular floor jack, but a special floor jack which looks like a scissor jack is easier to maneuver, and adjust. It's only a little more money than the price of an adapter. Certain tools like a torque wrench, and a pump alignment tool are necessary. Specialty seal drivers, removers, and seal alignment tools are nice to have, but are not absolutely necessary. You could improvise. If you want to get these tools, check EBay for the Rotunda sets in the red cases. Glacier991 loans these tools with a deposit.

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      Deja Vu. I think he didn't like the answer.

5. jah81592

jah81592 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Hueytown,Al
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer Sport
      I would recommend a ATSG manual to start with.-j