How to: - 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
That's why I was long winded, some people may not know the differences. I don't know what the Ford part numbers are for. I honestly don't buy VB stuff from Ford since the aftermarket takes care of things before Ford does.

Sonnax makes great products, Ford does what they have to keep sales up and liability issues down. I like Ford but they do dumb things often. TransGo isn't perfect but I think they are still the best, with others close behind.

Buy that Sonnax kit. I installed just their o-ring kit the last time I had the pan off and changed the EPC to the Borg Warner part. I had already installed the other Sonnax parts listed there. They make so many things and some are included in other kits, you have to spend a lot of time sorting through the options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A while back, when we had the EPC solenoid test program, the data from Allbert confirmend that the low level frequency of the EPC solenoid (under 300 Hz) was causing the valve body bolts to get loose, then ruin the gasket. The gasket always gets ruined in the location of the EPC solenoid first.

I think Sonnax made their conclusions later, and the case ATF passages moving makes more sense than the EPC causing the gaskets to fail. The gasket failures always occur at and near those really long and deep case passages. It makes more sense that the pressures rising and falling in adjacent case passages creates the real problem. The case movement ends up creating the loose bolts and gasket failure.

I'm saying I believe Sonnax has the best explanation, and they have a solution. We'll find out soon if the set screws completely stop the gasket failures.

dumb question...

I will change my vb. I get one from CVB. I already get the torque wrench, filters, gaskets, fuid, etc.

I have by now a dumb question, since I heard of some trannys having a refill hole and a special refill tool.

What is the procedure to refill the tranny? is it trough the dipstic or do I need to get the special tool? is there a hole in our 5R55E tranny specifically for refill?

Thanks a lot and sorry for this dumb question!

Antonio

Finally got a chance to drop the transmission pan and valve body... The VB gasket under the separator plate was really brittle and broke into about 8 pieces. There was also a small piece of copper that looks like it got chewed off of something and ended up on top of the VB plate when I pulled it off.

Before I go sinking about $200 of VB rebuild parts into this project, can you guys think of what the broken piece could have come off of? It's really bright copper piece of thin metal about the size of half a pinky nail.

Are there any copper components on the bands?

post a pic dude, someone will recognize it

It's just a fleck of copper, like a small piece of tin foil except a bright copper color.

It's probably from the rear thrust washer.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it something I can get to while doing the Valve Body job? The VB is covered in a fine particle sludge. I am going to give it a good cleaning tomorrow to see if there are any other metal filings\chunks in the unit.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get to it unless you rebuild the transmission.

Thanks Brooklyn Bay, in your professional opinion, is this type of situation indicative of a major transmission failure? Should I go ahead and spend the money on a valve rebuild? The transmission wasn't doing anything other than shifting slow.

Most likely, there is debris in the valve body causing delayed shifting. Repair the valve body, flush the cooler, replace the filter, and drive it. I'm sure that it will be fine. Eventually, everything in the transmission wears out, so don't be surprised if it will need to be rebuilt in the future. How many miles does it have? That rear washer is a high wear part. Ford or an aftermarket company should have come out with a bearing as a replacement for that copper washer, but only the copper washer is available. You could add an external filter, and an internal magnet in the pan to catch iron filings (copper is non magnetic).

Most likely, there is debris in the valve body causing delayed shifting. Repair the valve body, flush the cooler, replace the filter, and drive it. I'm sure that it will be fine. Eventually, everything in the transmission wears out, so don't be surprised if it will need to be rebuilt in the future. How many miles does it have? That rear washer is a high wear part. Ford or an aftermarket company should have come out with a bearing as a replacement for that copper washer, but only the copper washer is available. You could add an external filter, and an internal magnet in the pan to catch iron filings (copper is non magnetic).

Man BB, you are seriously the MAN! That is just the guidance I was looking for sir. Thanks again. My Exploder has just over 400,000 kilometres on it. About 250,000 miles. It got a new engine right before I bought it from a trustworthy shop but the transmission is original. I will try what you suggested and will post an update when I am done. Really, my ride is on its last legs, I am just trying to milk it as much as I can considering I love this old beater, best car I ever owned.

Sincerely...thanks again

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I am a long time lurker, first time poster. My questions is this. My 99 Explorer 4.0 OHV just started having the 2-3 flare. I am thinking about ordering a rebuilt VB from Central Valve Bodies.

I have very limited experience working on cars/trucks. My experience is limited to oil changes, air filter, coolant drains, refills, spark plugs, etc. Can someone like me handle a removal/replacement of the VB? It seems like getting the manual lever in place on the re-install is a bit tricky and can cause problems. What do you all think?

Welcome to this forum! I'm sure that you could handle it. Make sure that you follow the bolt tightening pattern as well as the torque specifications of the valve body bolts. Use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts, and don't reuse the old gaskets.

Welcome to this forum! I'm sure that you could handle it. Make sure that you follow the bolt tightening pattern as well as the torque specifications of the valve body bolts. Use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts, and don't reuse the old gaskets.

When you say don't reuse the old gaskets.....I thought the re-built VB from Central Valve Bodies came ready to install with new gaskets? Am I mistaken?

Question about 5R55E

I recently purchased a 1997 explorer sport. i purchased it knowing it didnt run but the "gentleman" that i bought it from said everything else worked. so i swapped the 4.0 with one from a salvage yard and it runs great. but when i thought the hard part was over it only got worse...

When i start the vehicle the check engine light comes on, the O/D light flashes continuously, and the airbag light flashes in three flash increments, and the speedometer doesnt work. took the truck for a test drive and it feels as though when i shift to DRIVE it is taking it to too low of a gear, it doesnt stall it is just very sluggish off the line. but when i manually shift to 2nd gear it shifts down and works great. i tore into the transmission and took out the valve body thinking it was a gasket that had blown, but to no luck of mine the gasket looks brand new. i do not know an error code as i did not want to drive it into town the way it is. i just need some ideas, possible shift solenoid, but if so which one.

thank you for any help you can give and this forum has been extremely helpful thus far in this father son project. thanks:usa:

When i start the vehicle the check engine light comes on, the O/D light flashes continuously, and the airbag light flashes in three flash increments, and the speedometer doesnt work.

thank you for any help you can give and this forum has been extremely helpful thus far in this father son project. thanks:usa:

You need to get the codes read. Without them you will just be throwing parts at it until you get lucky and change the right one. An inefficient and expensive way to repair your vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say don't reuse the old gaskets.....I thought the re-built VB from Central Valve Bodies came ready to install with new gaskets? Am I mistaken?
I think Donny includes new gaskets. Some people tried to mix the gaskets with bonded separator plates, and it didn't work. Make sure that you have a separator plate that is not bonded when you use new gaskets.

Back