Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5R55W Fluid Fill

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by FordSploderXLT, October 9, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Juckerz

Juckerz New Member

City, State:
      Apopka, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Explorer XLT
      Just drained mine on my 04 XLT V6 SOHC,,,, bit messy but thanks to this thread,,, it went smoothly. Car has 106k miles and as far as I know this is the first trans fluid change (I've had it since 45k miles),,, fluid looked great,,, still nice and purple and didn't smell burnt.

I do have one question though,, when doing just a partial change (without dropping the pan) wouldn't it be easier to take out the large drain plug rather than the little one in the middle? Wouldn;t you get more fluid out that way? Or am I missing something? Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mrnextel

mrnextel Member

City, State:
      PITTSBURGH
      03 XLT/NBX 4.6
      The larger plug is the drain plug. The smaller one is the fill hole

• Like Like x 1
    4. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Active Member

City, State:
      Truckeee
      2004, 4wd, 4.6l
      You missed a big something. The fact that you got any fluid out is kind of bad as the fluid that dribbles out the little drain is excess. Go and read the first post again. To summarize. Warm car. Pull big drain plug. Drain ATF. Remove center small plug. Install fill nipple. Pump ATF back in till it barely starts to dribble out. Warm up tranny till pan feels warm. Fluid will expand as it warms up and dribble out the center plug hole. When ATF is warm but not super hot (this temp is contested) the level is correct. Put the plug back in the center little drain.

5. Juckerz

Juckerz New Member

City, State:
      Apopka, FL
      2004 Explorer XLT
      OK,,, I did drop the pan so I get plenty out,,,, I think I just misread another post. Cheers.