5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

ECU connector

If you follow the wiring harness coming from the solenoid block (in the tranny side), up from behind the engine block, up the firewall, it makes a turn to the passenger side of the firewall, where it plugs into the ECU connectors in the firewall ( actually, into the ECU).
The top connector is the engine harness, the middle connector is the tranny connector, I think the 3rd connector is for the front accesories and/or ABS...
. After you read and save all errors data, disconnect the battery, take a 10 mm or 5/16" socket wrench (1/4 driver), don't recall exactly which one, and unplug the middle connector, you can do it from the side fender, facing the passenger seat, and a good lighted fixture or flashlight...it plugs back straight in, it has guides to go back in..

Those connectors take a lot of heat and humidity from the engine compartment,a simple re-seat might change the whole error sequence....who knows, mine did! and it had like, 6 errors..!
Ricardo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perfect! Thank you so much for taking the time to elaborate on the steps to do it! Definitely worth a shot. I work on electronics and computers and have fixed more than a few things by unplugging and plugging something back in - usually after trying everything else!
Thanks again!

Blaine

I'm going to be replacing the solenoid block in my 04 explorer soon and I've got all the parts except the transmission filter. Can someone either give me a part number or a link to the right one, preferably at rockauto?

Crap - well i replaced the solenoid block, but I found a couple parts in the pan. It turns out the intermediate band is broken. I found this TODAY after I bought and installed this stupid pack:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/timnoll/2008-12-26_151855_tsb04-24-17.pdf

Technical service bulletin for the exact problem i was having. Bah!

I don't have to tools or the time to take the transmission out, so I blew my weekend and $300 for nothing. Off to the shop.

Too bad FORD won't fix this for free- as they obviously know it's a defect.

Thanks to all that replied to me and thanks for the post - it would have been much worse without the knowledge from explorerforums.

Blaine
KI6NMK

Update:
I took the pan off and found parts at the bottom. Big bummer. I replaced the sol pack anyway, refilled with fluid and started driving it again until I have the cash to have someone take the trans out and fix the intermediate band. Bummer.
On top of that, someone stole it from my driveway a couple days ago.
I guess it's someone elses problem now. Dammit. If it wasn't for bad luck, Id have no luck.
Thanks for the posts.

Blaine

thanks Borland for the good post. i did mine yesterday. i replaced the solenoid (4L2Z) with (9L2Z) and it did work well. also i replaced the transmission filter and gasket since i opened the tranny pan. i used almost 7quarts of fluid. it is all worth well. very easy though messy but it is all worth it. just follow the procedure and it will make your life easier . also saved money for the labor if i go to dealer or anyshop. thanks to all as well good info. if you need some help i can be reached here.

inhinyero_ako,
do you have the 5r55w transmission? That's what I have in my 2002 V8 XLT; been looking to replace the solenoid pack, but new from dealer is $300, not sure of "rebuilt" ones.... lots of new 9L2Z's available, but I haven't been able to find out if they will work in my 5r55w. I have the 1L2Z-7G391-AG, would like to replace with new if I can get a good deal on one. Do you have the full p/n of the one you put in? thanks in advance...

hey skeeter. mine is 2004 5R55S V8 4.6L. from 2004 up model they use the 9L2Z-7G391A.
your best bet is call your nearest ford dealer give them your last 8 characters of your VIN and they should be able to you the correct P/N.
thats what i did. from the dealer its 385+ tax. i purchased mine online at ebay for $225 Brand New 9L2Z.
The once i removed was 4L2Z.

Thx for the info.. yeah I need to bite the bullet and buy new one from the dealer... trying to talk myself into doing the valve body/gasket at the same time.

would be a good idea to replace the filter and gasket too. i did. i used 7 quarts of Mercon V ATF.

I have an 02 explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0l with rear wheel drive. I’ve had it since new and have really babied the thing. It just turned 100k miles, and they are all easy highway miles, no towing or anything. About a month ago my abs light started flashing and in the end it cost me $2k to have the rear differential rebuilt – please, who has a rear end rebuilt in a truck at 100k miles? Anyway, I was not happy…but it got fixed and good to go By the way, there is a tsb on the rear diff issues – should be a recall in my opinion. So about a month later I’m driving down the highway and my od light starts flashing. As soon as I slow down I notice a delayed and rough shift between 3rd and 4th gear. At this point I’m about to go postal…wtf? Ford tells me rebuild the trans? Thank god I spent a few minutes researching the issue. Purchased a solenoid pack on ebay – new, for $225 (PART # 9L2Z-7G391-A dealer wanted $390). A bit of a pain to change out – messy and poor design getting the fluid back in the pan – but after replacing the solenoid pack – shifts smooth as silk! Took about 2.5 hours to do it. Required ~6 quarts of merconV. Also replaced the filter.

I'm having the same problems on my 2005 Ford Explorer XLT with 140K miles.

Tranny slipping at 20mph and 30mph, sometimes 50mph. CHECK ENGINE, CHECK TRANSMISSION and O/D lights are on.

I pulled up the codes:

P0775

P1116

P1703

P1780

Any recommendations on where to start? I have taken it to 3 shops and they all say different things. 1st shop said it was a few sensors, 2nd shop said it might be a solenoid, 3rd shop said I need a tranny rebuild and the torque converter was causing the incessant whining noise that I complained about.

This is very frustrating.

Good Pics to the OP and Updates and Where parts with reasonable price can be purchased at? Just had the dreaded OD off light flash will pull codes off today and find out...

Great article!

I'm going to do the 5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement as soon as I recieve the solenoid block. Thanks so much to "borland" and BrooklynBay" and all others for their contribution. After getting a reccomendation of 2500$+ to rebuild the tranny in my 02' Explorer; I began to research.

Thank goodness I found this forum. The problems I was having with the trans were exactly described in this forum postings. I'm an experienced mechanic but don't touch transmissions much. That must sound familar eh? Anyway, this is definitly a repair I can do without much effort. I really hope this fixes the shifting problems with the trans, because I really like the Explorer.

By the way; I did find that the 5R55N/5R55W ACTUALLY DO have fill plugs! :) They may not be that easy to get to but they do exist; and don't require you to fill the transmission from the pan with a special adaptor. Check out the link to Charlie Tranny with the detaild view of the 4WD and 2WD versions of the 5R55N and 5R55W resp. www.charlietranny.com/5R55Nfluidfill.htm

2002 ford explorer

Transmission is not shifting into 2nd when letting off accelerator tranny shifts right into 3rd. Had codes 735, 745,& 775 ist. We changed out the pack but 1st checked the forward band to besure it is not broke,we than droped the pan, found no material at all in the pan. We changed out the soliniod pack, road tested . found no codes at all, even after 25 miles but the 1st shift after stop is long drawn out & will shift into third after slight release of throttle, all other gears are fine. 5r55w tranny.

Still waiting for parts!!!

For those people having difficulty locating a replacement solenoid block, check this link: http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/159. I made this thread a sticky. It should help a lot of people out.

I ordered the solenoid block from these guys over a week ago, and still haven't recieced it. Starting to get a bit concerned... actually getting a bit pissed off as my Explorer is still up on blocks and I've been without my transportation for over a week now. Do you know if anyboby had problems with getting parts from Wholesale Transmission Parts (link above)? I'm about to call my CC company and cancel the charge!! HELP, ANYBODY! :mad:

DO NOT buy from these guys, they are a rip off. I bought a "remanufactured" unit from them months ago, found out the part was completely broken and when I asked for my money back they acted like I was crazy (after giving me a run around for about 2 weeks). I got my car fixed by a shop instead, then these guys finally send me a replacement unit they claimed would definitely be good, so I put it on ebay, now the buyer is saying that unit is faulty too and now I have to deal with that as well, what a pain in the ass. This place is a complete joke, do not buy from them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Parts Finally Arrive!!!

Update on my solenoid block replacement:
The part Finally arrive yesterday after nearly two weeks. I normally wouldn't worry but thier web site states "Very Fast Worldwide Shipping". So now I have the part and going to install in a few minutes. Now I'm just concerned about mdisalvo's comments in his reply. I hope the part isn't defective after going through this b.s. for two weeks... updates to come.

Back