5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build

$200, almost no rust, recently overhauled engine and only missing a tranny (which I already had)? I think I can safely say I'll never find that deal again lol! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably won't be til this summer or fall that I really start looking for something.

Construction work is slow during the winter with "shorter" days and less inside projects needing done and my wife is only substitute teaching at the moment...most income is going toward rent and bills and the rest is being saved for the big Moab trip, upcoming revisions to the truck before the trip, and savings. I'd consider the offer otherwise!

Well, there's still a little time left before Moab 2016, so I have a little time to do some updates. I already have the F250 towers and the long shocks, but that was it. Still needed to extend the RA's (to actually gain from the towers and shocks), replace the rear leafs (with something not flat...may as well get new), and replace the front coils (to compensate for the new "taller" rear leafs and fully gain from the new travel). The gathering of parts started today!

RuffStuff was having a sale for their 10th birthday (22% off) so I bought a set of their 1.25" hiems! I haven't ever heard anything bad about their products, but was a little hesitant about dropping $125 (before shipping) on the set...for less that $115 WITH shipping, I decided it wasn't such a salty deal.

I've also done my research (both on Google and the forum) and have decided on springs. Thanks to the thread 6" lift coils, which is best for flex?, I have made my mind up on a set of 6" BDS coils from broncograveyard.com. From what I can gather, they cycle well, aren't real harsh (won't drive like a tank) and for $139 for 6" lift coils, they are decently priced. Rear springs I had to do my homework on, but after doing my homework (Leaf springs) I found an OEM set for $76 (looking now, the price went up on one site, so I'll have to act soon.)

DOM material to extend the RA's will have to come later...got a screamin' deal at my local welding shop on the last piece I needed, and there are quite a few around fairly close, so no worries on getting material.

On a second note, doing all this work is going to get slightly easier soon....with all the Sears gift cards and the Lowe's card from my boss that I got for Christmas and my birthday, I've been looking at a MIG welder and oil-lube air compressor so that I can get some stuff done at home and don't have to travel to do so.

And lastly, I have to brag on my wife, who set aside (out of her paychecks) the money for me to get the springs and heims. Not only did I marry someone who loves me, but she also likes wheeling and gets me parts for both of us to enjoy it as well! :D

Yes, $76 for one, not a pair...should have worded that better.

WHEW!! Thought I was gonna have to bribe you for some info. Thats still one heck of a good price though!!

Tell me about it....checked RockAuto first, and even their cheapest was $40 over that per spring pack! :thumbdwn:

Well, the new heims came this week, and I'm probably gonna go ahead and order the BDS coils tonight. I'm ready for more flex!! :D

IMG_20160212_190319570.jpg

While I wait to accumulate parts, the local off-road park was open this weekend, so my wife and I headed up there with a friend of ours.

IMG_20160213_124423377.jpg

IMG_20160213_124736383.jpg

IMG_20160213_125305617.jpg

IMG_20160213_132012307.jpg

IMG_20160213_125317534_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160213_134556107_HDR.jpg

We both had to get each other unstuck twice (once each when turtled and once each when stuck in the mud.) We ended up taking a trail called Mild to Wild toward the end of the day...it was a more technical trail (wild) with bypasses that still required a little skill, but easily passable (mild). Lucky for us we stumbled upon a group of jeepers along the trail who had broken through some ice over a very deep but short mud hole and were winching out with a snatch block. If we had been there 30 minutes later, we'd have been stuck (I buried my rear tire when I slid off the ice and into the hole...there was none of my 33" tire showing above the mud...)

I wish I had more pics and was hoping to get some video, but my go-pro was dead and we were just having too much fun! Next time! ;)

Also have to add, this was my first snow-wheeling experience...it was about 10 degrees, so I opted not to wait for the tires to air down, but the BFG All-Terrains handled great!

Oh, and Jack (our pure-bred mutt) handled off-roading rather well, so he'll be making an appearance in Moab with us! :)

Where is moab and how was bundy. I got stuck working.

Moab is in Utah, just south of I-70, not too far from the Colorado border.
Looks like a good time!! I shy away from snow wheeling a bit (at least in the mountains). Had a couple close calls last fall and one years ago in my 79 Bronco. Lesson learned and message received!! That place looks like fun though!! Good to see you enjoying the rig.

I drove through Moab in my semi last year, that place is beautiful. Hopefully one of these days I can travel out there and explore it in one of my four wheel drives.

I was there once during easter jeep safari. Unfortunately was only in a Dodge Nitro. INCREDIBLE place!! Cant wait to get back there in one of my Explorers.

Bundy wasn't anything like what I did put west, but it was a pretty neat place...I liked it.

The snow was more of a dusting on top of frozen ground and the park was more hill climbs and ruts than anything else...there was more, bit that was the most of it...

Yeah, Moab is in Utah...the forum is getting together there toward the end of May to do a big group run for the 20th anniversary of the site...hope I can get everything built and changed before that...might go to Rausch Creek to test it out in April if I can...

Well, while responding to a fire call yesterday, my siren quit working...had another really big siren speaker in the garage and after some trouble shooting determined that the speaker on the truck was in fact the problem. Ordered a new compact siren speaker off eBay, but seeing as we had 3 calls this week alone, I knew I needed something at least for the time being, so I temporarily mounted the speaker to the truck, but as I was under there I noticed something else.....

IMG_20160220_141738874_HDR.jpg

First was that the crossmember for the RA's is a little beat up...can't wait to get the extended RA setup welded and installed!

But that wasn't the worst of it...

IMG_20160220_141755859_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160220_141747720_HDR.jpg

Yes, that is my transmission crossmember...guess I wheeled a little harder than I thought I did when I was at Bundy Hill last weekend! Luckily it's not causing any issues, but I am going to get it replaced ASAP...my boss's son recently built a 89 Ranger and has a donor vehicle at the property that he said I could have parts from if needed...one part I know is there because I've seen it: crossmember! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back