Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by 5spdman, March 11, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 Explorer XLT
      It's all good man...seemed like there were a few posts about slaves after I mentioned it. There were two lol.

Just me not paying attention...got my mind on my truck, getting my shotgun ready for turkey season, putting my new .22 together (after calling Savage about the damaged stock straight from the box), and the new goodies I got to accompany the Milwaukee drill and impact combo my wife got me for Christmas (late birthday gift cards are great!)

Just went back and actually read through your post. I must have been tired of reading, seeing as there were pics, but I saw it. No problem at all, share away!

I should be a little more clear; after repairing the rockers, I sprayed the rockers with the rubberized undercoating before painting, and used spray on bedliner for the rock sliders. I think maybe that the spray on 'liner would work, I just failed to do a good job prepping the fresh metal for a finish....I'll be looking into something else when I get to redoing the sliders though I think, so I may be looking into that.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Well, parts have started coming in, so I figured I'd get to work...

Followed Brian's thread on removing the rear main seal...as the slide hammer I had available to borrow didn't have the correct screw ends, I tried the screw and vice grip tactic...just ripped the screw out...4 times.....

I did get it out though...the holes made by the screws allowed enough room for the end of some needle nose pliers to get in there, and it pried right out...

I thought I'd try my uncle's way of just carefully tapping the new seal into place...that metal sleeve for the crankshaft that came with the Motorcraft seal wasn't having any of it...for 45 minutes. AutoZone rents tools, but the tool for installing the seal is one they don't have...in touch with Gman...

Didn't get a picture of it, but figured I'd get the pilot bearing out and shaft cleaned up for the new bearing.......well, as it turns out, all I had to do was clean it. That's right; there hasn't been a pilot bearing in there this whole time...just a lot of grease........hopefully everything is still alright.

Clutch kit (with needed bearing), flywheel, shifter seal kit, exhaust bolts and new ground wires should arrive tomorrow...guess I have a few things I can do for now...

• Like Like x 2
    4. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      No Problem. I sent it out to you on the 2nd, will be there on the 6th. Just return it when done with it.

I have always been able to get the seals out with 2 sheet metal screws, at 3&9 o'clock, and pulled them out with 2 pairs of pliers. Just have to be gentle and tug easy. A slide hammer is too much I think.

Last edited: March 3, 2018
    5. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Got some work done last night, and will be heading up to do some more tonight...

Big shout-out to @gmanpaint for shipping out the rear seal replacement tool for me to borrow. If I ever have to do it again, I just might purchase one for myself!

IMG_20180306_203707252.jpg
      IMG_20180306_203946740.jpg
      There's just something about getting new parts that just brightens up your day!

IMG_20180306_212923445.jpg
      Much better....new seal and a pilot bearing!!

IMG_20180306_213907255.jpg
      Flywheel in a torqued...

IMG_20180306_221337570.jpg
      That makes me feel so much better.....

Waiting on dad to see if he has a tap and die at work that I can use on the manifold and exhaust bolts that hold the y-pipe to the manifolds...some were a pain to get out, so hopefully I can get those all cleaned up and squared away and get everything back in tonight and back home for the time being.

You may notice that something is missing in the above picture...see next post...

• Like Like x 1
    6. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      As I had mentioned a while back, there's a few things I wanted to try and take care of while I'm working on Edgar.

IMG_20180306_201926351.jpg
      One of those things was taking care of this mess...ground harness was a disaster, so before it became a problem, I took measures into my own hands, and improved upon them. The harness was a bit of a pain to get out...had to take out the oil filter (thing missing in the last picture of the last post) to just barely get to the bolt holding it to the engine block.

IMG_20180306_194043753.jpg
      This was the harness that I received from RockAuto. I was slightly disappointed as the description picture showed the 2-pin factory plug that is a part of the harness, but I had the means to handle that, and a majority of the wire from the plug was still good.

IMG_20180306_194658023.jpg
      I started by removing the cheap, thin clamp from the wires. It didn't look all that good to me, and only involved a vise, channel locks and a screwdriver to reverse the crimp...pocket knife took care of the heat shrink...

IMG_20180306_195303728.jpg
      This is now what I had to work with...closed copper lugs, adhesive lined heat-shrink tubing, and adhesive lined heat-shrink butt connectors. To attach the copper lugs to the battery, I purchased marine battery terminals...I previously had one for the positive connection to the battery, which made for disconnecting the battery for working on the vehicle a breeze. Having these terminals on the battery posts will make removing the battery now quick and painless, and easier to series batteries for trail welding if ever needed (who knows, may add an extra battery somewhere down the road...)

IMG_20180306_200552404.jpg
      Everything ready to go! Well, almost...still didn't like how the in-line lug that connects to the chassis left wire exposed. While I was at Menard's getting the heat-shrink I needed, I picked up a can of liquid electrical tape.

IMG_20180306_223512721.jpg
      Any terminals on the harness that exposed wires got 3 coats of the stuff (picture is of 1 coat). All copper is now covered and sealed, and I shouldn't have to replace these wires for a very, very long time now!

Well, supper is about ready and Dad should be by sometime soon with a tap and die, so later tonight or tomorrow, there should be another update!

7. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      No biggie, your welcome. Glad it helped.

Side note.....
      Test that new bearing on the output shaft, to make sure it doesn't lock when depressing it. The Luk bearing that came with mine did just that, and I couldn't get the trans to mate to the block. I went and got a Napa slave unit, and it had the same bearing on it, and did the same thing. I ended up finding a unit that worked elsewhere. Held me up for a few aggravating days.

8. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Well, update...

IT'S FINALLY HOME!!!

While it may be home, it's far from done...still have all the wire-brushing and paint to do, half doors (not really counting those at the moment though), and noticed the antenna end of my CB antenna wire is completely broken off, which means repairing or replacing the entire cable.

That and the battery. Turns out, it wasn't just a cold weather problem I was having this winter when it wouldn't start and the battery was flat a few times. Battery has been out this entire time and was dead when I put it in to start it. Charged it last night, and when I went to start it this afternoon; dead, again...

Anyone have recommendations on a good battery that won't break the bank? Not going to Walmart again that's for sure...didn't even last 5 years and I'm not working for $250/month anymore lol.

9. 96EXXLTinCO

96EXXLTinCO Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs
      1996 Explorer XLT
      A wise man I know ( @gmanpaint ) regularly says; "It's always something with these rigs."

• Like Like x 3
    10. HSlough

HSlough Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Roanoke VA
      1993 four door
      Interstate Batteries! You can't go wrong!

11. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I am running the Energizer AGM in one rig right now, and it works just fine.

Thinking of trying the Odyssey AGM in the other, as I have been seeing nothing but great reviews for it.

12. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      I went to Google and searched top rated batteries, and read through I don't know how many posts. Seems on just about every one, Optima, Odessey and ACDelco were were at, if not right around, the top. Found good reviews on the AutoCraft batteries from Advance Auto Parts as well.

With the exception of the AutoCraft, they're a little pricey for my liking, but with the extra lights, hopefully winch in the near future, and possibly on-board air, I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to buy a yellow top to run my accessories...

On call for EMS this weekend, so I won't be able to go out and pick one up...back to the reasearch I guess lol.

13. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      The Bosch AGM's go on sale at Pep Boy's on a regular basis. I was going to purchase them, but I have a custom battery box and they are too tall. Brian1 has them and is happy.

14. Goldt00th

Goldt00th New Member

City, State:
      Farmington
      99 Exploder Limited
      Hopi rez/Navajo rez, them Exploders go for pretty cheap around here. Only thing is some (most) don't have a title. :(

15. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      I'm glad the one I found did. Lol.

Well, I looked into all of your suggestions, did some more digging, and some more reading, thinking and more digging. And I think I know what I'll be going with.

I too was thinking of the Odyssey, but only being $20-40 cheaper than the yellow-tops, kinda drew me back away from them...with my wifes car needing tires, my car probably needing tires and for sure needing a new wheel bearing and clutch master cylinder, I can't bring myself to pay over $200 for a battery.

So I looked at Exide AGM. They were cheaper, $169 at Menards (but discontinued and not in the stores near me), but available at Rural King (home and country store around my area, but still a good drive) labeled as Rural King battery, lowering the price to $149. Decent price for an AGM battery, but as much as I found good reviews on them, I also found just as many bad reviews. Brother-in-law also did not recommend them, as they used them in all of their lifts (family owns and runs a man-lift company, sales, rental and service specializing in Condor and Snorkel lifts) and said they had been good, but started having a LOT of bad experiences with them and switched. Exide out of the picture.

I found MANY places online that praised Deka brand batteries, US made batteries owned by East Penn. I looked into them as much as I could. I was hard pressed to find any bad reviews on them anywhere, but was also a little hard pressed to find a price and where to purchase them ($180-200 online, but nowhere near me). The more I searched, the more I read about them also being made and produced by Deka, but labeled for automotive chain stores, and the more I read that although it is not disclosed who for sure makes them, that NAPA brand batteries are made by Deka. Through my digging, I compared the Deka Intimidator AGM battery to the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery. Everything checked out the same, including the battery casing and even the warning label on top. $168 at my local NAPA.

Wife informed me that a couple at her parents church own a NAPA store in Orrville, about 10 miles from her parents, and we're going there this coming weekend. She thinks my father-in-law can get it at a discount from the guy, so we'll see what happens.

So, to wrap this up, I'll be giving the NAPA Legend AGM battery (Deka battery with someone else's name tag) a go, hopefully for less than $168, and take it from there.

Last edited: March 18, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    16. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Hope everything works out sir.

17. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Battery shopping for men, is comparable to, women shopping for shoes. We want it all, but don't want to pay full price for it. lol

I'm just glad you went with something, other then Craptima.

When I got the last battery, I saved $100. I was able to use my Reward cash in my account, while they was on sale for the holidays. Cost me less than $100.

18. stephen93Eddie

stephen93Eddie Member

City, State:
      Hamilton MT
      1994 Ford explorer sport
      I used to do car audio before the offroad thing happened. all AGM batteries 4 15s(DSS ethos) no wall in my green explorer 2 american bass VFL 500.1's(10,000 watts rms). Best batteries are virgin lead, odyssey, northstar, etc. best value in my opinion are Deka's and the autocrafts from car quest oh! and the energizer batteries from sams club. some other notable companies are juice box, Xs power, exide(rural king makes a rebadged of these for very cheap would look into them). Hopefully I will install my 275 amp high output alternator from my green explorer into the sport!

19. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Well, a few updates.

Battery is holding great, but now my starter is out...that is, I believe it is the starter. Few weeks ago, came out of the woods from turkey hunting and when I turned the key, I could hear the starter spin, but it wasn't engaging. When it would engage, it wasn't enough to start it, but enough to grind against the flywheel....brand new flywheel? Not having any of that nonsense...

I had the starter tested at NAPA, and they said it was fine, but to check the wiring. I've drop tested the voltage for the starting system, and all wires from battery to starter seem to test out fine, but there's always the possibility for operator error. Thinking I may buy a new starter, throw it in, and see what happens...I'm just not going back to AutoZone again for a starter...only been 9 months since I last replaced the starter, which also lasted only 9 months. May also replace the wiring and relay just to cover all my bases...unless someone else has any better ideas.

Biggest news/update, I've started my 1/2 door project!

33714961_633679101935_2467679064849121280_n.jpg
      Started with adding the donor doors in place of the the full doors, and then over the course of two-three evenings, I got all of the guts out of the doors. I got a little hasty and broke one glass panel, but saved the other 5, just in case one were to break on an unfortunate wheeling mishap. Will need to remove all of the poor home-tinting that was applied to the windows, although it did aid in the clean-up of the broken panel.

34469340_634042758165_1097414635763531776_n.jpg
      After the guts were removed, the doors were marked, and a sawzall was rescued from it's red, 2-clasp holding cell.

34667202_634122498365_2578178312698331136_n.jpg
      After cutting, it was noticed that while my lines were the same from driver side to passenger side, I could not 100% replicate the cuts I made on the exterior to the interior of the doors...little bit of extra sheet metal and all will be right as rain. Still brainstorming door handle placement (as I realized late that I was a stupid-head and can't just have interior handles if I'll be covering the openings at all) and how I'll be doing canvas upper doors to cover the now large openings during periods of weather that would not be kind to a vehicle interior or it's passengers. For now, a large tarp with the help of a few bungee cords and some rope cover the openings to keep the weather out. More updates as the project continues.

• Like Like x 2
    20. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      The lines you cut are awesome. Really like them. Interested to see what you come up with for the latches. I want to build some similar doors soon.

21. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 1st Gen Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newburg, PA
      1994 Explorer
      Callsign:
      yosty
    22. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Looking good

23. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Small update...

Bought a new starter...fired right up. As long as the truck sat in the desert and with the age of the truck, I might think about replacing the wiring for the starter, just to be sure, but all systems are go for now.

Haven't done much work with the doors. Threw some ratchet straps on the doors to pull them together and moved it to the fire hall (aka my big shop lol). Figured with throwing sparks and painting, the fire hall probably isn't the best place to be working on it, so I talked to a friend at my church on Sunday who has a few spaces open in his shop. Yesterday I got the latches put back into the doors so I can get it the few miles to his place. Waiting for weather to cooperate.

Did some thinking on the handles too...one option is to mount the outside handles below the trim (call me crazy, I kinda like the trim, but I think it may be going from both doors and the fenders). Another is to move the rear handles down a few inches, and to replace the front handles with the key locks (if I went that route, I could keep the trim). Anyone else have a few other ideas?

Also got to thinking about replacing the rear quarter glass and hatch glass with metal frame, zip up canvas covers as well...still thinking on that one...not sure I'll do it, but it was a thought.