Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5th Gen rear suspension enhancement

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by WalleyeChris, January 29, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. WalleyeChris

WalleyeChris New Member

City, State:
      Island Lake, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017, Explorer, Limited
      Hi all,

Pretty much all my tow vehicles have had some sort of rear air suspension. My favorite tow vehicle was a 1992 Town Car with the towing package. I’ve otherwise added Air Lift springs to a Grand Marquis, Tahoe and a Ram pickup. Has anyone added this to their 5 gen Explorers? I see Timbren makes their unique product too.
      The Explorer squats a bit more than I’m used to. I understand it’s part of the suspension setup and the type of vehicle it is. I just prefer a level ride. I’ve been towing almost 30 years, and am very aware of proper loading, tongue weights, GVW and all that. I’m towing a boat/trailer that comes in at about 3200#. Usually just myself and maybe a second person in the vehicle with me. Just looking for any experiences using aftermarket stuff.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Canton, Michigan
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      For a boat trailer, with less than 10% as TW, and only 3200 lbs total, you likely have far below 300 lbs TW. I wouldn't worry about it.
      But since you did ask about it, I'm sure somebody that has added will chime in soon.
      Just know that if you ever tow something that pushes that TW toward 500 lbs, this is enough to remove significant weight from the front wheels, causing stability issues. Suspension mods would do nothing to help that, and you would need a WDH.