Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5th Gen w/LED Light Bars.....

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by shooterSVT, August 22, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2013PIU

2013PIU Elite Explorer

City, State:
      WALNUT CREEK, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 PIU
      I have a trans cooler which meant I couldn't mount it in the middle of the grill, although I would have loved to do that. After poking around a bit I decided to mount on the lower grill opening using some aluminum bar stock to support the plastic bumper. I was able to hide most of the wires and ran the switch through a grommet in the passenger side firewall. The light is a single row 21" but it's plenty bright.

20171212_072354.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MegaCleanCab

MegaCleanCab Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Sultan
      2016 Ford Explorer Sport
      Looking for 2 wires to tap. One for the led light bar and the other for the grill lights in my raptor style grill. I would like the hi beam headlights for the light bar and any running lights for the grill. Thanks

4. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Can't speak for the running lights as I have a 2012, but the procedure is basically the same for any lights you want to tap.

The easiest (in my opinion) hi-beam wire to tap is the wire going to the hi-beam bulb, which you can see by looking down the back of the headlight assembly (not much space back there however). If you have a basic power tester (I use one that has a little bulb that lights up when there's power, that you stick into the wire you want to test, so you'd stick it in the back of the connector for the light rather than poke a hole in your wire. You could also use a clamp power tester if you have one, or any other style) you can just test each wire to see when the hi-beam / drl lights have power vs not. The readout should be 0 when it's off. Then tap that wire for your new light's positive wire. One note, you may want to check the power draw of your new lights (if they're big) that they don't have some massive power-draw as then the fuse used for the lights that you tap may draw too much (you'd check the amps, not the voltage). Usually a lights-only fuse is ~15 amps, but you can see this in the Ford manual in the fuse section. On my 2012 I think I recall amp draw for low+hi-beams (LED) is about 4 to 4.5 amps per light, but this undoubtedly varies per car.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      If you have the light bar hooked into the high beams than I think you won't be able to use high beams on the road as I believe there is a limit to the amount of light that you can legally use on the highways. Have you looked into that? Probably won't pass a safety inspection. I think you'd be better off putting them on a separate switch.

Peter

6. MegaCleanCab

MegaCleanCab Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Sultan
      2016 Ford Explorer Sport
      Thanks for the heads up. I don't have to pass safety or emissions inspections. I live in the country and could really use the extra light in the dark and rain.

7. Michael W

Michael W Elite Explorer

18 Explorer Platinum
      I'd have to have a professional installer put mine in. I sliced my hand with a knife twice in a two week period and taking off the bumper looks too hard for my limited skills.