• Register Today It's free!

6CD player, "Load Error"

hamcse924

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 EB Explorer
Ever since my failed attempt at installing an AUX box (Peripheral PXDX2 - did not work, possibly defective, yet to be determined), my 6CD player does not work. Prior to this, the 6CD player worked fine.

I must add that I did disconnect the battery during this attempted installation, in case that may have something to do with this issue. I did this as suggested by the PXDX2 instructions.

Primarily, now, every time we start our 06 Eddie, the CD player clicks and whirs on its own. Secondly, and worse yet, I cannot load a CD. When I try, I get a "LOAD ERROR" message on the radio LED, and the CD player does its' "click and whir" dance. If I try to force a CD into the slot, the "door" is closed, and a CD cannot be loaded.

I ran the radio test diagnostics (press 3 and 6 while in FM), and that goes throught the speaker and subwoofer diag, but does nothing for the CD player.

Another suggestion I found on another site was to diconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes, in hopes this would "reset" the radio and restore normal CD operation. This did not work either.

The last thing I will try (from another forum) is to pull the radio fuse (fuse/relay location #3 from the manual) in the hopes this may reset the radio and the CD player. (Will this work? Dunno)

What is really perplexing is why this happened in the first place. If I had accidentally "fried" anything during the failed PXDX2 aux installation, why is only the CD player affected, why not the whole system?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6CD player "Load error"

Hi,

I have the same error in my stereo, but I have tried to install a new 2008 stereo in my Explorer 2006 .

Did you resolve your problem? Could you explain to me how solved it?

Thanks in advance.

ACA.

Aren't these cars still under warranty? I would just have the dealer replace the darn thing.

6 CD changer

Aren't these cars still under warranty? I would just have the dealer replace the darn thing.

Hi Wharriso,

I have tried to swap this radio for my single CD player.

I bought the "new" 6 CD changer in eBay :(

Regards.

ACA

Are there any CDs in there now? Mine jammed once with a CD that had a stick on label (not to be used). I was able to "hook" it with a piece of wire while attempting to eject it. I think it said "load error" at that time.

Are there any CDs in there now? Mine jammed once with a CD that had a stick on label (not to be used). I was able to "hook" it with a piece of wire while attempting to eject it. I think it said "load error" at that time.

Hi Shaker1,

I suppose that the radio is new (according to the seller), but maybe you are right, maybe this is a used unit and will need a fix.

Thank you for the comment.

problem

i had the same problem with my 2006 E.B stereo. when the battery is gone, stereo is reseted very times and broke internal join. solution is very expensive. i replaced for a new stereo. is cheaper

Solution

i had the same problem with my 2006 E.B stereo. when the battery is gone, stereo is reseted very times and broke internal join. solution is very expensive. i replaced for a new stereo. is cheaper

You are right, the solution is very expensive but after looking for, I found a dealer where only I paid $35 USD ($400 MXP) to fix it here in Monterrey, Mexico. They replaced the disc changer mecanism for another :D.

private messages

hi, ACA1. I wrote you a private messages. please, when you see it, let me know how you can help me. thanks.

6 disc LOAD ERROR fix

A little late but fixed. Our 06 was in a ding and we did not notice that the cd player was giving us a load error (wife does not use her's much). Tried the power cycling and everything else, there were no cd's in it. Load button would cause it to stir and wirr about but then it would Load Error right away. Tried the Load/3/6 audio check, nothing changed. Even tried pulling it and cleaning the ribbon cable contacts with an eraser to no avail. It seems there are conditions under which the player will jam and cannot recover.
The fix was brute force and a bit of finesse. I pulled the player and plugged everything in and ran it with the player out of the radio and the radio out of the dash. I manually inserted a cd in the top (6) spot. Hook the cd under the tab and then pull back a wee little slider in the center section where the hole of the cd is to retract the keeper and the cd will drop into place. On the underside of the player are a vast array of sliding arms and such. I pressed load and selected a slot and held the mechanism so it could not move then released it. It complained but then cycled through all the cd locations and found the CD in 6 and started playing it. It has been fine since.

Back