Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

6R transmission - lock out 6th??

Discussion in '2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Spades, July 7, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 06bluez

06bluez Active Member

City, State:
      St Charles MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      OK a little bit of an update - I was under the impression that this would be a plug and play tune from 5 star, but apparently there are enough differences between the Explorers and F150's that it will take data logging and a number of attempts at tuning to get this done. I am not sure I have the time or motivation for this right now, but if someone else wants to work with them they are confident its possible.

For the time being, I am going to use the standard tunes they sent me for a while to see how I like them. They definitely do firm up shifts, and overall improve how the transmission operates in my opinion. I might even go as far as to say that hitting the OD off button for non-highway driving isn't necessary any more it is shifting so much better, but I need some more seat time to be sure..

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Spades

Spades New Member

City, State:
      CA
      2007 Sport Trac \/8
      Where are you /they at with the programming for the 6th gear lockout? What are you experiencing?

4. 06bluez

06bluez Active Member

City, State:
      St Charles MO
      '10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      they have sent me 3 sets of tunes so far. the first set seemed like their default explorer tune, and the file names didn't mention anything about the OD off mod. the second and third set of tunes they sent didn't get it right, with a number of issues in each. from very sensitive (almost dangerous) throttle, to not shifting into 6th in regular OD 'on' mode, they have not been able to get it right yet. after a few phone calls they told me I will need to connect the programmer to a laptop and do some data logging... honestly I just dont have time for this right now.

so I went back to the first set of tunes they sent, and have been running the 87 octane performance/tow tune. many improvements with it.. less gear hunting, going from coasting to accelerating is very smooth and not laggy/jerky like the stock shifting can be, etc. hard for me to explain all of the differences but I really like it...

5. LILFOOT

LILFOOT Elite Explorer

City, State:
      S.E. Michigan
      2009 Adrenalin
      I looked into this for a while too, and was never able to get any straight answers from anyone.
      I was told to try and get the Select-Shift function to activate and use a '-/+' button to force the shifts.