$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II

Plagorizer, I know...:D
I recently acquired this ugly 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4 with 197k, for $700. It has some things that it needs, but then again, what would you expect from a $700 Explorer?
-Needs a Transmission, or reverse ring (reverse is out)-FIXED
-Roof liner is toast-FIXED
-Rear drivers side quarter panel is crumpled from guard rail hit
-Both bumpers are junk-FIXED
-roof has 2 dents-FIXED
-roof rack is all bent-FIXED
-Front drivers side fender is pushed out (common problem from the "Wal-Mart Kid" jacking vehicle up in wrong place).-FIXED
-Grille is crap-FIXED

I could keep going for another 30 things.

If you saw my thread, I had a chronicles going on putting a 5R55E transmission into the place of my old 4R55E transmission. I had to find out the hard way, got the 5R55E from the JY then found out it wont fit. Look's to be in good shape so I'm gonna sell it anyway. Still looking for a 4R55E transmission for under 400 bucks.

I will post up the entire list of crap it needs, (small things like a lug nut, headlight ect) I am type A and cannot stand broken things, misfit things, ugly things...I know, then you say "then you shouldn't of gotten an Explorer". :D I think it's a piece of art, rust or not. (guess what mine has the case of...yep, you got it.)

This thread, I will keep all of you people informed and updated on my Explorer project, which I like to call, "project Frankentranny II" :) I will also post up small fixes, and corrections that I found out myself personally that maybe some people don't know anything about.

Be aware, skeletal and freaky ugly pictures are about to stare you in the corneas, but don't be frightened, so much progress can only reveal how nice this Explorer can shine. It seems like junk yard find, but indeed, it is a diamond in the rough.

These are some pictures of when I first purchased it. Cost me $700 delivered to the door. Enjoy, and subscribe to this thread if you want to see this ugly Aunt Agatha turn into a beautiful piece of art and machinery, that will sell for less than KBB! Read ahead.

_DSC0259_zps51920509.jpg

Mine_zpse1832345.jpg

_DSC0260_zps34ac136e.jpg

_DSC0261_zpsaadbd8a5.jpg

_DSC0262_zps147066d8.jpg

_DSC0263_zpsc8a7d165.jpg

_DSC0264_zps27c4414a.jpg

_DSC0265_zps8c1c48e0.jpg

_DSC0266_zps9094042b.jpg

_DSC0267_zpsc061cf09.jpg

_DSC0268_zps6306886b.jpg

_DSC0269_zpsd4f70cd2.jpg

_DSC0270_zps08152a05.jpg

_DSC0271_zps24eb7d7b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the list of every little thing it need's. (I have pretty much all of it already)
1. 4R55E Transmission-replaced
2. Front Bumper-replaced
3. Rear bumper-replaced
4. Gas cap housing-replaced
5. Taillight-replaced
6. Headlight and housing-replaced
7. Interior roof headliner-replaced...needs replace again
8. Roof rack-replaced
9. Grille-replaced
10. 3 Fender flares-replaced...most of them
11. Airbag interior cover
12. reinforcements behind grille-replaced
13. Tierod supports-replaced
14. Windshield washer spray rear
15. Passenger visor
16. Plastic interior rear panels both-replaced
17. Interior door handle-replaced
18. Console latch
19. Hood release assembly
20. Steering wheel button pad-replaced
21. Front bumper trim lower hanging-replaced
22. Reverse taillight lamp socket-replaced
23. Lug nut-replaced
24. Hood struts-replaced...still no work...:(
25. Small microscopic mirror

Cost me $302.69 so far, and that's even with a transmission. :D

Would have costed me an approximate total of $1,747.78 if all of this was purchased on the internet brand new. Got it all working from the junk yard.

Here are some updated pictures I just took a half hour ago with new rear bumper on and cleaned.

109_9990_zpsb67e1090.jpg

109_9989_zpsc97f2615.jpg

109_9988_zpsacd5e2d3.jpg

109_9987_zps244c2e1d.jpg

New bumper

109_9986_zpsccb5c550.jpg

And last but not least,

109_9985_zps7077a869.jpg

Looking good! Pm me, I've got some parts you might want

That explorer was registered in NY some point, I see the very old inspection sticker lol

@ shadowless, Yes, in fact, that is were this Explorer lived till 2010. So there is some rust...but only beneath.

I should snap a pic of it right now, everything*the front* is stripped all the way back to the radiator lol. Front bumper and all. :)

May the Explorer Gods have mercy on your soul!!!!!

Just playin! What all plans do you have for her??

Holy crap that thing was rode hard and put away wet... :)

I can imagine it now, sittin on 33s with a body lift ad TT/AAL, custom bumpers, roof basket, cowl hood and custom fiberglass fenders with mudflaps. Post that pic man, I had to do the same thing to mine. One thing if you can get it in a garage for a week take the body off the frame and Bedliner the whole frame and possibly the body, it'll save you in the long run

Well, my plans are to get it as close as mint condition then sell it. Maybe even put some small custom things on it, but really, my customization car is my Lexus SC400.

@Joe Dirt, you're telling me! Good thing that guy only had it for a year, he would have trashed the thing all the way to the JY! He was driving it and the tie rod end supports were not even connected, they were rusted completely off! So much fun this Explorer is!

@RyansX, yeah, I would love to customize it to look mint, but awesome. If you enjoy looking at that kind of stuff, here is a picture of my Cousins Toyota Tacoma. Man, what a beauty!

DSC_00319.jpg

03732.jpg

:)

Lookin good man. You and me are in the same boat. Check out my resto thread for my $400 97eb. Not nearly as thrashed as yours but still pretty rough! Good luck!

You got your 97 for 400 smacks? Why are all of the good deals everywhere but NM? I guess it's fair, gas prices everywhere else are awful. In NM, it's the lowest in the country. :) Gonna start with the tranny today I think...(transfer case probably)

You got your 97 for 400 smacks? Why are all of the good deals everywhere but NM? I guess it's fair, gas prices everywhere else are awful. In NM, it's the lowest in the country. :) Gonna start with the tranny today I think...(transfer case probably)

Hell yeah dude. I was pretty shocked myself when the guy texted me and told me $400. I think my bottom jaw had literally hit the floor lol.
I think I might start back on tearing mine apart when I get home from work, think I might pull the seats and carpet and see if the floor boards need and TLC which I'm sure they probably do lol.

Lol in NM vehicles are like gold!!! I live in farmington and anything used is trash and overpriced here.

got my 97 for $250 the prevous owner thought the tranny was gone but it is actually the transfer case, they were not happy when I put it in 4low and drove away. now I am trying to figure it out , I tore it apart and it all looks good so I am going to put it back in and see if it will work

got my 97 for $250 the prevous owner thought the tranny was gone but it is actually the transfer case, they were not happy when I put it in 4low and drove away. now I am trying to figure it out , I tore it apart and it all looks good so I am going to put it back in and see if it will work
I'm getting angry...NM is a puny place to buy cars. There was complete crap at this auction that was selling for WWWAAAAYYY to much. what the heck is going on??? :fire::frustrate:cool: $700 for a working Explorer is still good IMO...LOL!:D

BTW, my brother thinks that story is great!!^^^

Just playin! What all plans do you have for her??

My thoughts as well! I thought my $350 Explorer was in rough shape, that thing has had a hard life.

The best of luck fixing it up. It definitely has potential.

My thoughts as well! I thought my $350 Explorer was in rough shape, that thing has had a hard life.

The best of luck fixing it up. It definitely has potential.

Thank you! In less than a couple months, she'll be looking almost mint condition!

(BTW, this Explorer has had a VERY good life, until 2010. It is a 2 owner, and I have some records but not much. The dude that purchased it after the good owner in New York slid out in the snow and ran into a guard rail, (the rear body damage), treated it like garbage. He overloaded the roof with lumber, (he is a construction man), the headliner inside is torn up beyond repair, has front body damage, (which I have stripped all the way down right now and am gonna make a trip to the junk yard soon), has a little case of toe-out, (hopefully corrected by the tie rod end supports being replaced by yours truly),had wires hanging, the thing hadn't been cleaned ever since he first got it, and the front seat drivers side is pretty bunged up. THOUGH, it is still bulletproof. This is my scenario on how the transmission went out. The tranny was probably slipping a little bit, so the guy thought it was time for a transmission fluid change. That's exactly what he did, and that's what took his transmission out. BTW, it is WAY overfilled. So overfilled that the transmission leaks like a siv when the motor is running, or the Explorer is being driven. That being said, I might rebuild the 4R55E tranny, replace the 4R with another 4R, or swap the 4R55E with a 5R55E transmission.)

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"It is usually the small things you don't sweat that cause the most problems and waste the most time"~1992fordgreen

Stupid roof rack. The thing wont come off. Soaked all of the screws in penetrating oil overnight. Got 7 out of 10 out. All the others are stripped clean! Tried a sawzall, impact driver, and using a chisel to pound them out, but they will NOT budge. How did you get yours out?
:)

Back