$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II

Plagorizer, I know...:D
I recently acquired this ugly 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4 with 197k, for $700. It has some things that it needs, but then again, what would you expect from a $700 Explorer?
-Needs a Transmission, or reverse ring (reverse is out)-FIXED
-Roof liner is toast-FIXED
-Rear drivers side quarter panel is crumpled from guard rail hit
-Both bumpers are junk-FIXED
-roof has 2 dents-FIXED
-roof rack is all bent-FIXED
-Front drivers side fender is pushed out (common problem from the "Wal-Mart Kid" jacking vehicle up in wrong place).-FIXED
-Grille is crap-FIXED

I could keep going for another 30 things.

If you saw my thread, I had a chronicles going on putting a 5R55E transmission into the place of my old 4R55E transmission. I had to find out the hard way, got the 5R55E from the JY then found out it wont fit. Look's to be in good shape so I'm gonna sell it anyway. Still looking for a 4R55E transmission for under 400 bucks.

I will post up the entire list of crap it needs, (small things like a lug nut, headlight ect) I am type A and cannot stand broken things, misfit things, ugly things...I know, then you say "then you shouldn't of gotten an Explorer". :D I think it's a piece of art, rust or not. (guess what mine has the case of...yep, you got it.)

This thread, I will keep all of you people informed and updated on my Explorer project, which I like to call, "project Frankentranny II" :) I will also post up small fixes, and corrections that I found out myself personally that maybe some people don't know anything about.

Be aware, skeletal and freaky ugly pictures are about to stare you in the corneas, but don't be frightened, so much progress can only reveal how nice this Explorer can shine. It seems like junk yard find, but indeed, it is a diamond in the rough.

These are some pictures of when I first purchased it. Cost me $700 delivered to the door. Enjoy, and subscribe to this thread if you want to see this ugly Aunt Agatha turn into a beautiful piece of art and machinery, that will sell for less than KBB! Read ahead.

_DSC0259_zps51920509.jpg

Mine_zpse1832345.jpg

_DSC0260_zps34ac136e.jpg

_DSC0261_zpsaadbd8a5.jpg

_DSC0262_zps147066d8.jpg

_DSC0263_zpsc8a7d165.jpg

_DSC0264_zps27c4414a.jpg

_DSC0265_zps8c1c48e0.jpg

_DSC0266_zps9094042b.jpg

_DSC0267_zpsc061cf09.jpg

_DSC0268_zps6306886b.jpg

_DSC0269_zpsd4f70cd2.jpg

_DSC0270_zps08152a05.jpg

_DSC0271_zps24eb7d7b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So, the Explorer has just been sitting in the driveway while the transmission is getting a rebuild. I have some rear quarter body damage that I would like to correct as well. Best way to do so? Also, the drive plate should not be open to the elements underneath the car? I have it covered in some plastic for safe keeping.

Still need to...find out what's wrong with the oil pressure gauge, fix the front seat, put tranny back in, paint plastic pieces back to black, and de grease a lot of the interior...or maybe just clean it, plug both rear tires, clean ABS sensor, and finish off the rear shock absorbers as well as the 2 fifth ones.

Thanks for all of the help you guys have been providing, it's been great.

Called the Transmission rebuilder guy and figured out after 3 and a 1/2 weeks, he hadn't even got to it yet. That was fine for me because I'm not in a hurry, and definitely not looking forward to putting the tranny back in. He has originally quoted the rebuild price of 400 and less. Hoping he stays to his word. I'm guessing it'll be around a week before I'm getting my tranny, so I can proceed with the installation, which will probably take longer than expected...things like this usually do...:)

Well, it's official! The transmission is rebuilt! For $400 flat, the transmission rebuilder replaced the clutch packs, reverse sun-gear, reverse solenoid, reverse everything except the reverse band. First band, pump gaskets and rubber ect ect...like a master rebuild. He even degreased the tranny.

I have a couple questions that I would love it if somebody added their input!!!***

1: The transmission cooler line has 2 small holes and the entire assembly is rusted. Should I replace?
2: I mentioned that the seal between the transmission and engine block was really leaking tranny fluid. I did not replace the tranny to engine gasket. Should I? Because the tranny rebuilder said he replace the seals that would usually cause it to leak there...
3: The torque converter has burnt crappy trans fluid inside it. Should I dump it all out? Is it unhealthy?

Just for kicks, here is a list of what needs to be done before I'm ready to sell this Explorer:

Headliner needs replacing. (I had gotten one, but messed it up because there was no sunroof...:eek: )
Fix body damage
Put transmission back in
Replace the main part of leather front seat (got replacement section)
Fix oil pressure gauge
Plug both rear tires
Other small misc things (knobs, buttons, scratches, ect)

Yet again, I wanna thank you all for the help. Any feedback is appreciated to above questions.

So the tranny is on the tranny jack right now being supported underneath the Explorer. The exhaust is in the way about an inch or so, i've been pulling and pushing and using boards and ect...haha. I know I was supposed to move the exhaust out of the way, but for that to be done, I would have to cut reason being the exhaust bolts aren't even bolts anymore. I was thinking of using a come-along to pull the exhasut down, but it wont be good one the pipe so...ideas? How did YOU get the tranny in with the pipe in the way?
Thnkas

OK, little update, if anyone cares.
The exhaust was in the way, so I used PB blaster on the bolts. Nothing. Torched them till they were red hot charcoal and then waited for it to cool a little, then used wax, but still, no go. Was gonna cut it right off, but then with my Dad, I used my foot to push while my Dad leveraged the tranny with a super bar. Came in and the exhaust is now of no concern. Now, I'm trying to align the freaking shaft and aligning pins, but for heck sakes I cannot get that in. Spent 2 hrs ditsing around and haven't gotten anywhere.

ANY ideas/tips/comments/help to be shed?

Transmission is officially in. Going to test drive tomorrow, crammed time tonight. Will need to fill trans case and trans. Will let you guys know how it all turns out.

There a way you can film first start and drive? I want to see it

There a way you can film first start and drive? I want to see it
Might...if I remember. I just hope this works correctly. Trans rebuilder said he will adjust the bands if needed for no extra charge.

I can't fill the stinkin transfer case. It is supposed to take 1 1/2 quarts, but it's not. It leaks like crazy after the first 1/2 a quart, not even. Yes, I drained it completely. What the heck?

Ideas?

Is it sitting level?

Trans case is completely in. Also, what fluid is "good enough"? I'm using Valvoline, which is interchangeable with type Mercon ATF.

So I want to show you guys what my funds for this Explorer has been yet:

==>$247.17 total for extra U-Pull-and-Pay parts.

==>$700.00 cash for Explorer

==>$400 cash for Transmission rebuild

==>GRAND TOTAL of money put into this Ex:

==>$1,374.17

That is pretty much all of the funds that are going towards this Explorer. It still neds some small things, like...
-5th shocks
-NEW headliner
-oil pressure sender valve
-mics items too tiny to bring up.

MR Bman, sorry, forgot to film it, but it was nothing special anyway.

Project Frankentranny II is a SUCCESS! :D :)

My Explorer wasn't starting. No cranking, just one click. Turns out it was the starter ground wire. Corrected that and Ex fired up. Didn't shift right due to low fluid. Now works perfectly.

I understand, I do have something I would like though. Can you post a full tour on YT? There's not many EB tours on there and I would like to see it.

I understand, I do have something I would like though. Can you post a full tour on YT? There's not many EB tours on there and I would like to see it.
Of course. A tour of the Eddie Bauer, right? :) Don't know if this Ex is the best for a tour though. It has many cosmetic and mechanical issues.

BTW: Drove it to Radio Shack and it was great.....until coming home up a hill it started to slip. I know for a fact that the trans is at least a quart low on fluid, but IDK if that would cause it.

In other issues, speedometer isn't moving, niether id odo. Figured out that we broke the VSS into 2 pieces when putting the transfer case in. Dumb gas tank lol.

Will keep ya all updated.

I still would like to see it. It sure sounds like you have plenty to do to it

Oil pressure wan't reading at all. Found that the blue/white electricale wire was broken off. Used a butt connector and wired the two pieces back. Now sender works perfectly. Got the VSS in. Took 5 minutes...(if you have the right part). ;) Will test tomorrow. Trans slipped a lot so I'm gonna put more fluid in.

Back