$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II

Plagorizer, I know...:D
I recently acquired this ugly 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4 with 197k, for $700. It has some things that it needs, but then again, what would you expect from a $700 Explorer?
-Needs a Transmission, or reverse ring (reverse is out)-FIXED
-Roof liner is toast-FIXED
-Rear drivers side quarter panel is crumpled from guard rail hit
-Both bumpers are junk-FIXED
-roof has 2 dents-FIXED
-roof rack is all bent-FIXED
-Front drivers side fender is pushed out (common problem from the "Wal-Mart Kid" jacking vehicle up in wrong place).-FIXED
-Grille is crap-FIXED

I could keep going for another 30 things.

If you saw my thread, I had a chronicles going on putting a 5R55E transmission into the place of my old 4R55E transmission. I had to find out the hard way, got the 5R55E from the JY then found out it wont fit. Look's to be in good shape so I'm gonna sell it anyway. Still looking for a 4R55E transmission for under 400 bucks.

I will post up the entire list of crap it needs, (small things like a lug nut, headlight ect) I am type A and cannot stand broken things, misfit things, ugly things...I know, then you say "then you shouldn't of gotten an Explorer". :D I think it's a piece of art, rust or not. (guess what mine has the case of...yep, you got it.)

This thread, I will keep all of you people informed and updated on my Explorer project, which I like to call, "project Frankentranny II" :) I will also post up small fixes, and corrections that I found out myself personally that maybe some people don't know anything about.

Be aware, skeletal and freaky ugly pictures are about to stare you in the corneas, but don't be frightened, so much progress can only reveal how nice this Explorer can shine. It seems like junk yard find, but indeed, it is a diamond in the rough.

These are some pictures of when I first purchased it. Cost me $700 delivered to the door. Enjoy, and subscribe to this thread if you want to see this ugly Aunt Agatha turn into a beautiful piece of art and machinery, that will sell for less than KBB! Read ahead.

_DSC0259_zps51920509.jpg

Mine_zpse1832345.jpg

_DSC0260_zps34ac136e.jpg

_DSC0261_zpsaadbd8a5.jpg

_DSC0262_zps147066d8.jpg

_DSC0263_zpsc8a7d165.jpg

_DSC0264_zps27c4414a.jpg

_DSC0265_zps8c1c48e0.jpg

_DSC0266_zps9094042b.jpg

_DSC0267_zpsc061cf09.jpg

_DSC0268_zps6306886b.jpg

_DSC0269_zpsd4f70cd2.jpg

_DSC0270_zps08152a05.jpg

_DSC0271_zps24eb7d7b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have much left to do on this puppy.
All she needs to be back on the road ready for sale:
-Bands adjusted inside trans (shifts a lil off)
-Exterior touched up with paint, then detailed and waxed.
-Make Body damage accept fender flare
-Make a permanent fix for the known "blend door" issue.
-Clean cluster and signal levers (oozing amber excretion over time)
-Buy used rear tire and plug the left side
-Make double hood strut supports (hood is so crapping heavy)

After that, we're GOLDEN!

It will be put at around 2500...

Will keep you updated, like usual.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So...body damage is covered up nicely with fender flare. Will snap a couple pictures when I can. Fixed the radio switch. Very close and almost ready for sale gentleman.

I will clean and post up pictures so far. the before/after pics stuill make me wonder in awe and amazement...

Here's the pictures:
118_6799_zps09cd777b.jpg
118_6800_zps5a91ea9c.jpg
118_6801_zps9467a167.jpg
118_6802_zps57b3c3fb.jpg

LMK whatcha all think about it...:)

Oh, and yes, I am going to touch that up with green forest eddie bauer painmt.

Test drove it again today. Slipped slightly going from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Going to be adjusting the band(s) if needed to OEM spec. Hopefully no overthighten will happen. :D Then I touchup paint, replace rear tire, fix the "door ajar" light and ABS light, shut up the rear rotors, and make a lousy fix to the blend door actuator. Then, and only then is this Ex going up for sale.

So I was going to touchup all of the paint Saturday but figured out the touchup "ford" paint was too light. The correct colour for my Ex is "Dark Jewel Green (C/C)". Guess what I'm looking for...lol

Also, got the rear tire plugged for free by who else but Discount tire.

So I tried the blend door trick. (drilled a hole through the middle of the door, and put some plastic on the edges so the nubbing would catch the arm and turn from heat to A/C) but no go. Still is lukewarm air. :( I think my only option is to dump a whole lotta glue down there and hope that holds.

Just found this thread, im fairly new to this site but not new to forums. EXCELLENT Build, i love the attention to detail in your posts and your work. Nothing makes me happier then bringing a car back to life!

Im going to start my Mounty Build page make sure you check it out! Cant wait to see your Ex once shes all detailed up!!

How long did it take you to rip out your entire interior?

Just found this thread, im fairly new to this site but not new to forums. EXCELLENT Build, i love the attention to detail in your posts and your work. Nothing makes me happier then bringing a car back to life!

Im going to start my Mounty Build page make sure you check it out! Cant wait to see your Ex once shes all detailed up!!

How long did it take you to rip out your entire interior?
I'll make sure to check out your before/after build of your Ex. Very satisfying at best! It took me about 4 hours to rip out my interior, everything except the dash and the headliner. It was slightly rusted and I broke one boldhead right off. Not too hard, and very fun.

I'll be detailing this beast fairly soon. (Wax, carpet cleaning, paint touchup, ect).

This is a hobby and one of the best yet. :D

On the alignment topic; When this Ex was test driven for a couple miles, the console vibrated a ton and wobbled from side to side, and the ride pulled left. Swapped both front tires, and now, it rides particularily straight and smooth. No more vibration, like, at all. All I did was swap the two front tires???
Oh well, good news for once. :D

Also, on the Blend door actuator topic: Should I remove the dash and just fix this correctly? I'm finding myself weary of even thinking of removing the dash...do you think its worth it on this EX?

Opinions please.

No opinions? :(

I have decided not to remove the dash, but to rig something up that will fix the issue for more than a year. I'm not gonna mess with the blend actuator plenum housing, just leave it be and hope it works with my contraption.

I have been quite busy so the Explorer hasn't been getting much attention.

So, it's been a while since I've updated this thread. Adjusted the bands, but didn't do it, so transmission guy is gonna bail us out and try at it. Aso changed the oil and filter, as a minor detail.

It is looking much better, and still idles like brand new. 197500 or so miles.

Ok,so the tranny guy got the transmission working up to 90% or so. Adjusted the bands multiple times to get it just right. He even adjusted the OD band. The only imperfection is a large flare from 3rd gear to 4th. Slow engaging. The trans rebuilder said he recalls testing a shift solenoid that read lower then the others, weak one. that is what the code says, so next is that shift solenoid!

After this, hopfully it'll work like pickles.

It's close, gentleman.

So, I am about to buy a "coast shift solenoid" for a 4r55e. I was told that all solenoids A, B, and C are interchangeable so 'm biting the turkey feather and going through with that.

Last night I found a wonderful surprise that the cluster lights were out, except the tachometer needle and bulb. Screw it...I'ma gonna replace all 6 of em, including all of the needles. I might even try the Indiglo sheeting that spreads the light around the cluster.

Also, found a way to ration screws so the sun shades can stay on the roof.

In other news, I got a new Kirkland Battery.

Replaced the 6 194 Cluster bulbs that were burned out. Also swapped the door ajar light with the CEL. The door ajar light would stay on, the CEL didn't work.

So, here is how the Explorer is sitting now. Almost 100% working condition! With cosmetics and mechanical stuff!
100_7104_zps6f43c910.jpg
100_7105_zpsef60eb20.jpg
100_7107_zps580bb3fd.jpg
100_7106_zps5e2c5927.jpg
100_7108_zpsc7beb244.jpg
100_7103_zpsc7b54f99.jpg

Replaced Shift solenoid 3. Took it out for a test drive, only to find that the trans dumped into limp mode. Started out in 3rd gear instead of 1st, slipping ect. Very frustrating. The CEL and OD light came on. Pulled the code and it says Shift solenoid B, and C, which is the one I just replaced. Fluid level good, trans connectors good. What the heck! This trans was supposed to be rebuilt...:(

Oh ya, and to add a little pessismistic view, the radiator cracked and was pouring out all my cooling fluid. Crap.

SIIIGGGGHHH.....this project goes on!

2 days in a row...Tranny rebuilder guy flakes...hhhmmmmmm he might be as annoyed of it as I...

Back