8.8 rear axle with discs and 4.11's - What years | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8.8 rear axle with discs and 4.11's - What years

S

Steve - Vancouver, BC

I'm looking for an 8.8 rear axle with 4.11's and disc brakes. I believe the one I'm looking for is the one with 31 splines. What years were these on and how much would should I pay from a wrecker to get one?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a 8.8 with disks off of any 95 or later Explorer. All of these have 31 splines. I don't know how much a junk yard would want but someone on this board has one for sale with 3.73s from a 99 Explorer for $500.

I think all the 4.10s are limited slips as are many of the 3.73s.

Actually 4.10 and 3.73 do come in open diff configuration. Axle code 46 is 3.73 open and 42 is 4.10 open.
Ray

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 11-01-2000 at 08:46 PM]

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the site.
You want to look for years 95 and up, and only off of Explorers, as Ranger 8.8's are 28 spline. The Ford 8.8 can come in 3.07, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10. You would do good just to get a newer 8.8 and change the gears.
BTW How did you find us?

Well I hope you guys don't hate me for this, but I don't actually have an Explorer. I have a '90 Jeep cherokee. I really want to upgrade to a stronger axle and was looking for one with disk brakes. Getting one with 4:11's would be great because then I wouldn't have to do a gear swap. This should be cheaper then going to disc brakes on my Dana 35c and changing the ring and pinion. The explorer axles are, I believe within 2" of the XJ axle. They also use the same bolt pattern. I've heard that the Explorer rear discs are some of the best in the buisness. I was also looking for the ones with 32 splines for the added strength. I would also like one with the limited slip if I could.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. I found the board by searching on Yahoo.

Steve

Hey Steve,
We pretty much welcome everyone here. Glad to have you on the site, and welcome! Feel free to check things out, and also feel free to check out the Serious Explorations forum to see if there is a trail run near you. I think everyone on the site would rather have fun wheelin' with people no matter what they drive. Feel free to ask questions, and again, welcome to the best site on the net (by our sentiments at least).

Originally posted by Steve - Vancouver, BC
Well I hope you guys don't hate me for this, but I don't actually have an Explorer. I have a '90 Jeep cherokee. I really want to upgrade to a stronger axle and was looking for one with disk brakes. Getting one with 4:11's would be great because then I wouldn't have to do a gear swap. This should be cheaper then going to disc brakes on my Dana 35c and changing the ring and pinion. The explorer axles are, I believe within 2" of the XJ axle. They also use the same bolt pattern. I've heard that the Explorer rear discs are some of the best in the buisness. I was also looking for the ones with 32 splines for the added strength. I would also like one with the limited slip if I could.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. I found the board by searching on Yahoo.

Steve

Steve, we have alot of Jeepers come to this site for the same reason that you came here for. That's Ok, everyone is welcome here. The Ford 8.8 is alot stronger that the Dana 35. Like I said before, only get one from a 95 and newer Explorer, as the Ranger 8.8's are 28 spline. If you want a 4.11, you will have to change gears, because 4.10 is the closest that will come from the factory. The disc brakes will definately work alot better on your Jeep, since it is alot liter than the Explorer.
Paul Gagnon is from Calgary. If you email him, he might know where you might be able to pick one up. He is one of the moderators and a very knowledge guy, I'm sure he would be able to help you out.

4.11, 4.10, 4.09 are all the same for practical purposes, so no gear change would be needed. Just different gear/ tooth count combos.

The disc rears came on 95 and on explorers, and all explorer rears are the desirable 31 spline. I believe that the 4.10s are more prevalent in the 98 and up axles.

the codes above are the codes given on the door plate. I think the Axle would read 4 L 10- cant find my info.

just some clarifications

Costs anywhere from 400 -800 with the drum rears at the low end and the disc at the top. Its a pretty popular swap.

have fun

Originally posted by Steve - Vancouver, BC
I've heard that the Explorer rear discs are some of the best in the buisness.

Steve

Now that's something. Even though Explorers are the best people prefer to drive something else.
lol

Just toying with you man. Welcome to the site. I bet you'll find it very usufull even though you drive a Cheap, sorry Jeep.

Good luck,

Fox Auto Salvage sells this exact piece for $500+shipping, which is about $100. http://www.foxautosalvage.com

However, if you decide to buy one from them, MAKE THEM SEND YOU PICTURES OF IT! I ordered one and they sent me one that looked like it had been sitting in a salty mud puddle for a few years. Make sure they send the calipers with it and rotors that aren't rusted. They are supposed to be taking the crappy one back soon.

Back