87 Bronco II build up begins. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

87 Bronco II build up begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first pic is of the BII clutch pedal unit on the left and The explorer pedal unit on the right. The second pic is with the new explorer unit bolted in. Still need to drill tow holes on the top. The third pic is with the steering wheel bolted up to the explorer clutch unti. I still need to modify the bracket that bolts the steering wheel to the firewall. Should be pretty easy. The last pic is with the steering wheel and heater box installed.

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well The dash swap is 100% complete. I have about 8 hours total in the dash swap. It was pretty easy and straight forward. I made a trip to the junkyard and cut out the strip that the explorer dash bolts to. I used this to get my mounting brackets. I riveted the explorer strip on top of the BII strip. I then welded in some spots to make sure it wasnt going anywhere. Once that was done the dash bolted right up. Now its time to start the 4.0 swap :) here are some pics. The first pic is with the new tabs installed. You can see the old tabs under the new ones. The second pic is the dash being test fitted and the last two are of the dash bolted in and done.

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

FROADER said:
Nice work! :cool:

Thanks. I plan on starting the 4.0 swap next week. After that its on to the fun stuff. :D

hell yeah, nice work! I was wondering what you were gonna do about the metal strip.
8 hours is not bad, really at all! You plan to use the vacuum style HVAC controls I am guessing instead of the BII cable style?

410Fortune said:
hell yeah, nice work! I was wondering what you were gonna do about the metal strip.
8 hours is not bad, really at all! You plan to use the vacuum style HVAC controls I am guessing instead of the BII cable style?

yup im using the vacum controls. I could have used the BII box but that would have been more work.Just easier to use the sploder box. You know whats gona happen when im done right Jamie? You need some parts. :D . Cant wait to put in the 4.0 and take it for a spin. :burnout:

The dash swap looks good. Now you need to update the front end with 89 - 90 Ranger/Bronco II hood, fenders, grill, etc. :thumbsup:

Bronco II said:
The dash swap looks good. Now you need to update the front end with 89 - 90 Ranger/Bronco II hood, fenders, grill, etc. :thumbsup:

I havent made up my mind on that. its not on my priority list at the moment.

I vote to swap the clip and update the ole truck.
Great work thus far Joe.

UGLY the 89-90 friont end is UGLY
the 84-88 actually LOOKS like a bronco, but hey thats just me, its your truck.

I remember the first time I drove my BII with a 5 speed and a 4.0L HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I was impressed! the old 2.9L tried, it tried hard, but it just doesnt hold a candle to the OHV, I am excited for you :)

Its the same clip that is on half of this sites explorers. I dont like the 89-90 grill, but you can put a explorer grill on the Bronco II.

looks good on the explorer, but not on the BII, but of course this is just my opinion, I like all these trucks :)

410Fortune said:
looks good on the explorer, but not on the BII, but of course this is just my opinion, I like all these trucks :)

Some other's, including myself, would prefer the later model look. I think it still looks like a bronco. Kindof a half bronco, half explorer mix.

The main idea is to make this truck what you want it to be. We all have opinions, but as long as you make it 'your' truck and do it the way you want, we can do nothing but respect that.

MoabB2 said:
The main idea is to make this truck what you want it to be. We all have opinions, but as long as you make it 'your' truck and do it the way you want, we can do nothing but respect that.

What if i put a jeep grille and lights on it? :D No just joking. Ive thought about it but time will tell. I like both. As you can tell i have a hard time making up my mind.

some guys have put round lights and a EB grill on a 84 style BII hahaha

At first I HATED the way my BII looked, but as I drove it and built it I began to love the 88 style look. Yes make it the way you want it! Heck some guys put a Mustang front clip on a Ranger, so yeah....its your truck!!

I am not bagging on 89-90 models, I just prefer my 88 style after seeing all the diff options.

ive seen that mustang ranger thing, talk about fugly. Im not to big on the EB grill thing. I havent really seen one yet that looked complete. This is the 5th BII that my family has had and i like the way the pre 89 clips look. But we have also had 3 sploders in the family so I like that clip as well. who knows.

all I know is your BII is blue and blue rules!

410Fortune said:
all I know is your BII is blue and blue rules!

i like the blue. I may keep it that color when im done or a different shade of blue. But i must say the blue with blue interior is to much :eek:

I dont like the blue interiors, its right up there with Red in my book, of course my stock interior was like orange, so it had to go....but it takes time!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone seen a custom interior for a BII...I mean something totally different from the OEM interior... I'ld like to go that route... but I'm not sure of the difficulty level of the task... any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back