87 Bronco II build up begins. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

87 Bronco II build up begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah kirby i know he put in another cross member. Anyway im not gona worry about it till i put in the 44. I may have had the 44 in the explorer worng who knows. Plus i didnt have the track bar hooked up so that had something to do with it I would say. I am going to run the 6.5 winch coils so that may help like you said. We will see. I just need to get this thing going again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well a slight change in plans again. I picked up a great running 302 for the
BII :bounce: Its from a 71 Bronco, 88k original miles, all new gaskets, and parts. I took it for a spin and this bronco moved. The guy i bought the 302 from is the second owner of the bronco. His dad bought it new in 71. It is currently set up for fuel injection from a 93 mustang GT. I may convert it back to a carb useing the Holley Truck Avenger Carb. I haven decided on that yet. Pics to come soon. I pick it up tonight or tomorrow morning. time to find info for the V8 swap.

V8 swap info is everywhere, including using a 93 Mustang computer ignition and EFI

I say KEEP the EFI Always better then a carb IMO

what are you gonna do with your 4.0L now? hahaha

V8 swap info is everywhere, including using a 93 Mustang computer ignition and EFI

I say KEEP the EFI Always better then a carb IMO

what are you gonna do with your 4.0L now? hahaha

im ay keep it EFI. the guy i bought the motor from is more then willing to do all the wiring for me. hes done a few rangers before so we will see. The 4,0 has been sold to a family friend of mine that need a new motor. The other transmissions and t cases are going to be sold.

Awesome! The mustang EEC-IV computer is a snap, its like 13 wires

computer, Mas, fuel rail, distributor, intakes basically

Awesome! The mustang EEC-IV computer is a snap, its like 13 wires

well i went and looked for some parts at the junk yard today. I found a 91 T-bird HO wiring harness complete 20 bucks and the computer is 20 bucks as well. Will this work? Ive read that the car EFI is better to swap then the truck EFI. is that true? I havent bought this yet need to see if it will work first. If so what do i need to grab off the motor? sensors? Should I take the 5.0 HO intake? its only 25 bucks.

Or i can get the Holey truck Avenger carb for only 280 with my discount. I can get a used edlebrock intake for 100 or cheaper from a friend and then be done with it. would still need a few small things

car EFI much better then that dual plane no power F-150 intake setup yes.
Brett would be who to talk to about this, I have never done it myself only seen he and Joe do it, I went straight to OBD-II :)

HO intake will work but youll probably want to replace it later.....the HO stuff will get you running though..

well i think i decided on a transmission. I'm going to be using the ZFS-542 5 speed manual trans from a F250. Has the 5.72 low first gear and the .76 5th gear overdrive. Best of both worlds. Plus it bolts up to the 302, use a bronco clutch and a the D20 t-case. Found quite a few here localy.

Last edited:

sweet now you just have to figure out your clutch pedal situation, or use the hydro to manual converter thingy (no thanks)

I would try to get the pedal and cable assembly from the F-250 as well, keep it all factory. This style trans does use a clutch fork right? Not the stupid internal slave cyl and to bearing? Would be so nice to get rid of that junk, bu8t the pedal can get interesting because on our trucks the brake and clutch pedals swing from the same pivot/axle

Last edited:

no its a hydo clutch. Shouldnt be to bad of a swap.

no its a hydo clutch. Shouldnt be to bad of a swap.

You will also need to section out your firewall and tranny hump to clear the tranny. Or install a 3" body lift. However, if you have a welder and some patience, it can be done and look good after you are finished.

You could probably use the same BII clutch line on the external slave cylinder for the f250 trans. I have the same tranny in my 92 ford f250 (460 w/ 5spd). If the ends will not match up, you can make a custom line with the correct end.

I'm actually bummed to hear you are going v8. I was looking forward to seeing my old 4.0L alive in your BII.

Brett

I'm not 100 percent on this trans swap. But it does sound nice. all depends on the price of the trans. Or if i find something else with a better deal. I know i want a 5 speed but i dont have to have the low first gear. Your engine will still be used in a friends explorer once i get it in.

lust picked up the 302. An added bonus is it already has the dual sump oil pan

lust picked up the 302. An added bonus is it already has the dual sump oil pan

Don't confuse a dual sump pan with an EB pan. The EB pan is sort of shaped like a dual sump pan for the EB chassis. The fox body platform 5.0L pan is what you need. So just make sure.

If you end up needing a fox platform 5.0L pan, let me know b/c I have a collection starting.

Brett

Don't confuse a dual sump pan with an EB pan. The EB pan is sort of shaped like a dual sump pan for the EB chassis. The fox body platform 5.0L pan is what you need. So just make sure.

If you end up needing a fox platform 5.0L pan, let me know b/c I have a collection starting.

Brett

thanks for the tip. I just thought it was the pan i needed. if i take a picture of it could you help me with identifying it?

does anyone know real qucik if 2wheel drive v8 swap motor mounts will work on a 4wd

I think what you want are actually convertible mustang 5.0L mounts and motor plates, the 2wd and awd 5.0L explorer plates and mounts are designed for the IFS Gen II trucks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back