• Register Today It's free!

`90 Ranger SVO

Rust_Sucks

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
`91 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I`ve been out of the RBV game for awhile now. I just picked up a 1990 Ranger, 2WD, standard cab, short bed. It`s a clean little truck, gonna make a helluva daily driver.

The fun part is the drivetrain. It has an `85 Stang SVO engine. It`s a 2.3L turbo four banger. It has a couple upgrades, like a huge front mount intercooler. Coupled to a five speed stick, it is awesome to drive. I have a few things yet to iron out, but even without full boost, to say it goes is... uh... a bit of an understatement :D

I have a few extras I want to add:
-CD player
-Bed toolbox and/or soft bed cover
-Different rims(has chrome directionals on it)
-SVO emblem under the Ranger on the sides

Who knows what else will happen to this truck, but this is a good plan for now. I`ll get some pictures this weekend.

Glad to be back,
-Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Looking forward to pics of your new truck and all the info you can share on the 2.3L SVO...:burnout:

..and the rest of the stuff too..:D

Nice deal. Hoping to see more updates on this.

image.php

I thought I had this set to notify me, I guess not ???

Anyway, new info on the truck. It has an LA3 computer(from an 87-88 t-bird with a stick), which is arguably the best stock ford computer for a 2.3 turbo. I think I have found the boost leak, I will know for sure tomorrow. I have decided that I need a Tach, and an A/F Ratio Gauge. Some wider rear tires would be nice too, however that might be difficult on the 14" rims I have now. Now, onto pictures!

IMG00114-20111107-1615.jpg

IMG00115-20111107-1615.jpg

IMG00116-20111107-1615.jpg

Can`t get the first picture the same size as the other two? It is the same on photobucket, just not here. Oh well.

Now for the fun stuff you guys really want to see, the turbo stuff.

BOOST:
IMG00117-20111107-1616.jpg

IMG00118-20111107-1616.jpg

IMG00119-20111107-1616.jpg

Intercooler:
IMG00120-20111107-1617.jpg

I think the boost leak is at the TB coupler. I also want to flip the VAM(replaces the MAF on most Ford turbo engines) right side up, and build a bracket for it. I had it fall off a couple times, which as you may guess makes the truck dead in the water.

Considering a few other longtime upgrades, like a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, and an explorer disc-brake 8.8.

-Jake

@Tbars:
What SVO info are you looking for? I`m by no means an expert, but if I can help you out, I will. Let me know.

Back