9000+ lbs tow rating my a** | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

9000+ lbs tow rating my a**

5k lbs on the A4LD wasnt nice:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm a little puzzled I pull my boat with my 99 xlt with the v8 and 2 wheel drive and basically have little trouble. It will pull the boat real nice at 65 to 70 mph. Braking is not an issue trailer has disc surge brakes that really help. Now the question if the 99 explorer tows nicely and the 07 has a higher tow rating and more power has anyone had any trouble pulling a trailer.

My solution... :D

Chevy_Tow.jpg

Runs 80 MPH down the road - no problem... Gets 13 mpg with that load.

Mods to the Trailblazer: 265 tires, K&N Filter, Amsoil, transmission upgrades (pin-less servo accumulator, 1-2 up-shift valve).

This is the 92 'Sploder with the A4LD, BIG x HUGE cooler -- normal problems (front seal puked, accumulator piston leaking, governor valve sticking - second tranny)

15014towing.jpg

i wouldnt even think about towing a trailer without a brake controller not a heavy one anyway.

you actually thought you would get outa 3rd? pulling, even with your 9000lb thought of a tow rating, you were at what you thought to be your max. Lets think about this, even an f350 at its tow capacity, will be strained and most likely will have the same result, just a lot more weight.
------------
We have towed 15,000 lbs many times with my sons F-350 with ease. Going and stopping was never a factor to worry about.

I used to be in a fire-wood business. We built a brand new 1 ton Chevy Pickup with a 400 small block engine.

44 tires, 4.56 gears, 500+ HP with cam, headers, manifold, carb, head work, etc., transmission full B&M manual shift kit (T-400) plus huge RV cooler.

We were pulling a weighed 25,000# in a ball hitch (2 5/8 ball) 3 axle trailer (2 axles w/brakes) out of the woods, through the mud, and down the freeway at speeds of 80+. We didn't even think anything of it.

Friends were pulling more than that with goose-neck trailers for grain, cattle, etc. Its all how you set up the truck, and how the driver drives it.

I used to be in a fire-wood business. We built a brand new 1 ton Chevy Pickup with a 400 small block engine.

44 tires, 4.56 gears, 500+ HP with cam, headers, manifold, carb, head work, etc., transmission full B&M manual shift kit (T-400) plus huge RV cooler.

We were pulling a weighed 25,000# in a ball hitch (2 5/8 ball) 3 axle trailer (2 axles w/brakes) out of the woods, through the mud, and down the freeway at speeds of 80+. We didn't even think anything of it.

Friends were pulling more than that with goose-neck trailers for grain, cattle, etc. Its all how you set up the truck, and how the driver drives it.
---------
Someone must have had a lot of BA!!s to drive a 1 ton truck rated at towing 16,000lbs pulling 12 1/2 tons at 80mph and with a ball hitch? :eek:
I have never seen a 2 5/8" ball hitch. In fact, I have never seen any ball hitch that can be used for towing 25,000lbs. The 2 5/16" ball hitches are rated from 10,000-16,000lbs. Where could I buy one of those 2 5/8" balls?

I had a typo on the ball size -- everything else is as I said.

And, yes... we had a pair... :rolleyes:

Call it young, dumb, and full of... Anyway, we did it all the time.

Full cord of wet oak firewood = 7500#
3 full cords of wood (4 x 4 x 8 feet) on a 3 axle trailer = weight of trailer
You do the math...

I had a typo on the ball size -- everything else is as I said.

And, yes... we had a pair... :rolleyes:

Call it young, dumb, and full of... Anyway, we did it all the time.

Full cord of wet oak firewood = 7500#
3 full cords of wood (4 x 4 x 8 feet) on a 3 axle trailer = weight of trailer
You do the math...
----------
I don't doubt you did it I just said that it took some BA!!s to do it going 80mph.

----------
I don't doubt you did it I just said that it took some BA!!s to do it going 80mph.

It wasn't really any big deal... and that was about the least of what we did back then. Laws, rules, and being smart were for nerds. Now that I realize how lucky I am to be alive... :D

There was a time when we were towing a friend's 440 Charger that had died. Imagine us in that Chevy truck with this guy on the back of a 30 foot chain... His eyes were REALLY big... :D It got worse when we decided to take him for a little spin up the ditch and around the telephone pole on the side hill -- at around 50... :roll:

Only thing we did to destroy our $50.00 junkers was to have every ones car-truck lined up in a big circle in a field late at night. We would turn our lights off and later we would turn our lights back on and all head towards the center of the circle with our eyes ONLY on hitting the rabbits that appeared there when our lights were off. No need to tell you it was crash haven.:D
BTW: I had a 440 Dodge Charger. I think it had either 2 4Barrels or tri carbs. May have even been 1 big carb. I just can't remember. I think it was green.

Back