Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

91-94 Bumper Guard Plans?????

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by FarmageddonNRO, March 25, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FarmageddonNRO

FarmageddonNRO Member

City, State:
      Anaconda MT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 Ford Explorer XL
      I have scoured the internet as many of you out there have, looking for a simple grill guard, the kind without the headlight brush guards that basically covers just your grill with two horizontal tubes, top one you can mount two fog lights on. Not one company out there makes these anymore, and finding one on Ebay is hardly an option. Based on how simple of a design it is, it should be simple enough to make our own. Does anyone out there have the exact specs and sizes of one? I am looking for the kind that curves under the bumper and bolts right to the frame. I have a friend in Wisconsin who owns a custom shop, I'm actually going to speak with him soon about making one for me, and also making kits for others to buy. So, the first thing I need are plans, dimensions, specs, ideas, etc. Please feel free to post up pics of yours, or suggestions you might have. :salute:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. FarmageddonNRO

FarmageddonNRO Member

City, State:
      Anaconda MT
      1991 Ford Explorer XL
    4. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      2018 EX Sport Concept
      The parts that attach to the bumper are just flat steel with two tabs for the bolts. The middle tubes are just metal tubing with tacked in end pieces that have been threaded for the bolts to put it together.

You could grab some big cardboard boxes and cut them up, making your own templates for the side pieces, incorporating a lower section that goes underneath and attaches to the frame.

I'd think it would be pretty easy to improve on that design, and you can just get your own measurements from that, or give your friend the cardboard templates you make to build the pieces from. Cut the tubing to fit perfectly between the side pieces and either weld them on or weld in nuts on either end for some big bolts, drill the holes on the sides, put it all together and there you go.

5. IAmThor

IAmThor Active Member

City, State:
      Emerson, Nebraska
      2004 Mercury Sable LS
      Go to a salvage yard and look around there. I got mine off an 80's Ranger and it mounts to the bumper. It cost me $50, but it could be cheaper where you live

6. smegun

smegun Active Member

City, State:
      florida
      1994 ford explorer xlt
      my rear bumber is almost rusted through he ha I can believe they don't tie these bumpers in better much less to say that a couple brackets are the only thing protecting your radiator
      what about tow points also two nice rings tied into the frame anything tied into the frame?
      I already have to adjust a bumper out of alignment that is if its possible

7. Backwoods "X"

Backwoods "X" Active Member

City, State:
      Mt. Sterling, Ky
      94 XLT
      IF you are going to "tie" anything to the front frame rails, make darn sure that it also connects AND re-enforces the rails, as there is nothing for support out there. The first crossmember is under the engine!

8. VintageUpgrades

VintageUpgrades New Member

City, State:
      Humble, Tx
      93 XL, 97 Mounty, 01 Ltd
      I have one made by Hooker on my truck. I can make some templates from the sides for you.

Mitch

9. smegun

smegun Active Member

City, State:
      florida
      1994 ford explorer xlt
      same yea tow rings reinforcement same symptoms rear bumper rot ive seen a nice tube build and one with a gas can rack but it looks to impede the rear hatch .... a perpendicular
      cross member to reinforce?

10. FarmageddonNRO

FarmageddonNRO Member

City, State:
      Anaconda MT
      1991 Ford Explorer XL
      That would be awesome Mitch, I haven't been on in a while. You can email me at farmageddonrecords@yahoo.com