91-94 Stock Air Box - Filter - CAI - and more | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94 Stock Air Box - Filter - CAI - and more

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It's in that list.........................Now it is.................:D

...Actually, I am going to, in the future, do a thread with a list of just my useful thread's and "How To's", but for now I've included it in the one in my signature...;)

ok.. i ran through there earlier but must have overlooked it.. i had to resort to looking at all the threads youve posted in, 523o4iu3 pages later i found it lol

and as always, thanks for all the useful info

...Lol....I just posted it as soon as you asked...:p:

Anybody know where I can find just the "adapter" for the cone filter that bolts onto the MAF? I don't want to make one if I don't have to ya know.

Anybody know where I can find just the "adapter" for the cone filter that bolts onto the MAF? I don't want to make one if I don't have to ya know.

i scored mine from ebay for $10 shipped. it wasnt listed for an explorer, any ford maf should work (i.e. 4.0, 5.0, 4.6, 5.4, etc..)

Did you get some xtra ponies from that?

personally.. i think if there was any gain it was miniscule. i did however notice an increase in acceleration. not that it took a homemade CAI to dust my brothers 3.9 Dakota, but it was funny watching in my rear view last night. 3.27s rolled my 32s better than i thought. i still hate them though.

i scored mine from ebay for $10 shipped. it wasnt listed for an explorer, any ford maf should work (i.e. 4.0, 5.0, 4.6, 5.4, etc..)
Thanks. I ended up going to the junkyard and grabbing a MAF off another one and just chopped and cut it to bolt on the other side of the MAF then tightened the high air flow onto it.

what to do with vacuum tube?

Thanks for the great info and pictures - I see you put bolt in one vacuum tube as you show in picture - what happens to the other tube - the one I believe connects to the cold air intake tube?:):thumbsup:

...Read post #16 of this thread...;)

in the third picture of the air box where does that vacum hose come from off the motor?
thanks in advance

...That picture is labeled and yes, #2 comes from the motor on the drivers side rear...;)

Any chnace that the engine will give a Lean running code if that Valve is not ###tioning correctly. A friend is going nuts. Lean in Bank 1 and 2. he changed out the 02 sensors and NG. actually I think he has a '95

...Neither the 95 Ranger nor the X's have that valve...

...He probably is getting the p0171 and p0174 codes...There is a bunch of info if you advance title search those codes only..;) ..I hope this helps..

I know this is a older thread but is still full of useful information for us unlucky enough to live in the Peoples Rebuplic of Kalifornia. I have a question; Would it be possible to run the 1995 K&N intake system on a 1991-1994 Explorer? It looks on the pictures I have seen to line up okay with the stock intake as far as the hoses go. I know I would have to hide the vacumn line from the old box, but it would have a CARB number on it since its legal in 50 states. Here is a link;
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2536

I am working on doing my SAS and wanted to put a coilover shock hoop where that giant air box goes.

CAI inspection

With a cone filter instead

..They will look at your filter during the visual inspection and should mention that it is not stock...Some will just shake their head and others really don't care as long as everything else such as your vacuum hoses and emission items are all properly hooked up and in place according to the diagram on your core support...

..Then some will refuse to inspect the vehicle or officially fail it for visual on the DMV computer...Paying for a pass or free re-test comes in handy for this..;)

..I have tested the X with my KKM filter and just run the vacuum hose directly to the thermostatic control valve with no problem and they passed it for visual..I've also done this with the Ranger since I've removed the huge stock air box and replaced it with an OBA compressor...They spotted that right away...:D

..Anything that is aftermarket and C.A.R.B. compliant or exempt will have C.A.R.B. tag, sticker, or brand on it with it's own reference number..

..Do not lose that sticker

..I believe that kit will fit fine...Here is a thread of another guy who had an issue of loosing his sticker recently..They may have a little better info on if there is actually a sticker that comes with the new kits and if that is the same FIPK they have..;)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376952&highlight=carb

..Even if you buy the correct kit and you have the proper C.A.R.B. sticker for it..

Be prepared for this also. :rolleyes:

..My Borla headers are exempt and have a welded on C.A.R.B. tag on them with the reference number for a 91 Explorer only..Smog test was going to fail my truck for headers even though they saw the tag...I explained to them that is a legal tag and for them to look it up in their database..They told me they couldn't look it up on their computers but they will let me pass smog this time...

..I now carry a copy of the C.A.R.B. report in the truck when it comes time to smog test..:rolleyes:

What I don't understand, if that K&N kit would fit a 91-94, why is it only listed as a 95-98 part? Is it because those vacumn lines are not on the air box of the 95-98? My experience has been that if it has a CARB number, the smog clowns don't look any further. Maybe I should just order one in and see if it fits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is a older thread but is still full of useful information for us unlucky enough to live in the Peoples Rebuplic of Kalifornia. I have a question; Would it be possible to run the 1995 K&N intake system on a 1991-1994 Explorer? It looks on the pictures I have seen to line up okay with the stock intake as far as the hoses go. I know I would have to hide the vacumn line from the old box, but it would have a CARB number on it since its legal in 50 states. Here is a link;
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2536

I am working on doing my SAS and wanted to put a coilover shock hoop where that giant air box goes.

Its wont fit.the battery is in a different spot on 95+ that tube needs a bend in it to clear the battery in a first gen. Look up ifab intakes for reference. Dont think they sell them anymore tho.
http://www.ifab.net/products/93intake/91Ex/index.html

Back