91-94 Stock Air Box - Filter - CAI - and more | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94 Stock Air Box - Filter - CAI - and more

I know this is a older thread but is still full of useful information for us unlucky enough to live in the Peoples Rebuplic of Kalifornia. I have a question; Would it be possible to run the 1995 K&N intake system on a 1991-1994 Explorer? It looks on the pictures I have seen to line up okay with the stock intake as far as the hoses go. I know I would have to hide the vacumn line from the old box, but it would have a CARB number on it since its legal in 50 states. Here is a link;
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2536

I am working on doing my SAS and wanted to put a coilover shock hoop where that giant air box goes.

Its wont fit.the battery is in a different spot on 95+ that tube needs a bend in it to clear the battery in a first gen. Look up ifab intakes for reference. Dont think they sell them anymore tho.
http://www.ifab.net/products/93intake/index.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This guy has one on his 91 Navajo, which is a Explorer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3122331#post3122331
I am just going to pick one up and see if it fits. If not, then I will return it.

I dont know how.that intake 90 off the tb and is a straight pipe to the filter.it would go straight into the battery. Look at the pic on ifab, you can see it has to have a 35* bend in it to clear the battery. Just simply looking under your hood you could see that a straight pipe would not work.

I just downloaded the install instructions for that and you are correct. It ends up in the battery location. I have a Optima in there, which is much smaller than the standard battery, but it still won't fit.
Back to the drawing board...

I just downloaded the install instructions for that and you are correct. It ends up in the battery location. I have a Optima in there, which is much smaller than the standard battery, but it still won't fit.
Back to the drawing board...

You could order it just for the sticker.I can give you dimensions and a place you can order pipe and couplings and build your own for vey cheap.thats what I did but im sc but you can build a sick one for cheap;)
Couplings
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
Pipe
http://stores.ebay.com/cxracing
2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

..Looking at what comes with the kit..
http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2513-1

..It reminded me of the KKM filter which is still not CARB certified..For the little bit of difference I would think getting the FIPK (one with the 35* bend) would be beneficial as you will be omitting the stock air tube which tends to suck air or develop wear holes after the last couple of decades...:D

..Personally, I am truly glad that you are going this route and seeking out a CARB certified CAI..This is something I failed to follow up on and your input as always will benefit many others in the near future..:salute:

..California and CARB are at the forefront of lowering emissions globally and will be cracking down even more on the testing of vehicles and lowering of emissions..(Salton Sea mentioned)

http://science.time.com/2013/01/29/obama-talks-climate-change-california-is-acting-on-it/

On Jan. 1, after years of preparation and legal battles, California launched a carbon cap-and-trade system, establishing a declining limit on the state’s greenhouse-gas emissions. That means that the most populous state in the U.S. and the ninth biggest economy in the world has legally committed itself to reducing its carbon emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.

While cutting California’s carbon emissions alone might not make a big dent in climate change (the state is responsible for perhaps 1% of global emissions), the success or failure of its environmental experiment may well decide whether national or even international action on global warming ever becomes a reality. “California is a big economy, and it is very diverse, like the U.S. as a whole,” says Mary Nichols, chairman of the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which is overseeing the cap-and-trade system. “If it can work in California, it can work in the U.S.”

..Looking forward to more info on your investment and specifically how it s marked as a CARB certified unit (sticker/stamp) and your thoughts on how they respond to it at Smog Test during visual inspection..:biggthump

I am almost hoping I need to do smog this year on the Explorer. Then I can put the thing on and test it out before I do irreversable modifications.
I looked all over K&N's products site at nearly every Ford vehicle and could not find a intake system that curves towards the rear. They all take the correct 90 at the throttle body, but not at the passenger side of the engine. If I can find one, that is what I will get.

I am almost hoping I need to do smog this year on the Explorer. Then I can put the thing on and test it out before I do irreversable modifications.
I looked all over K&N's products site at nearly every Ford vehicle and could not find a intake system that curves towards the rear. They all take the correct 90 at the throttle body, but not at the passenger side of the engine. If I can find one, that is what I will get.

Send ifab an email but pretty sure they don't make it anymore.I had it for years and love it.sold it about a year ago tho.
Here is it installed to give you an idea
SNC00223_zpsb4657e19.jpg

Ps don't pay attention to the little filter on the oil filler tube.I ran one on each side but not really right way of doing it

Can't have stuff that is obviously put together parts. Red flag for the smog police. I would need a solid unit that looked fairly stock.

Can't have stuff that is obviously put together parts. Red flag for the smog police. I would need a solid unit that looked fairly stock.

Gotca.I agree with runner..sweet truck!!!

Thanks Fellas!!

I want to make it sweeter but am stuck with this air box issue. If anyone can locate a intake that curves around the engine like jd's, but is in one piece so it looks like an K&N/Airraid/etc.. I will buy that and the K&N carb approved filter and see what happens when its smog time. Tom Rios (Fakawee) had a complete intake made for his with a CARB filter and it passed smog several times. I guess I could just make one out of three inch tubing, and have it powercoated black, but I don't know where to get a three inch bender.

..I would contact K&M first to see if perhaps their pictures may be wrong and if they have one for the first gens...

..After noticing the years (95 and newer) for K&M to have CARB compliant FIPK's, it may just turn out that they only make them for OBD II vehicles..:scratch:

..But I would still contact them first as I'm sure they have had to been asked about this several times and may have one from another yr/mk/model vehicle that works but they just don't advertise it..

..If you wanted to go to a 3" pipe my PVC painted black looks pretty OEM but as for getting that extra bend you may need to scour the junkyards for a factory connection from another vehicle as it would look OEM..;)

..Or you could go to a muffler shop and they could bend you up a 3" pipe in a few minutes...All one piece and the bends as needed...:biggthump

..I know the KKM comes with the MAF adapter but be sure your K&M does too..

K&N says they don't have one for the 91-94 Explorer.
Looks like my SAS might be coils and shocks instead of coilovers.:mad:

..It's kinda funny you can put one of these on your X and it's C.A.R.B. Compliant..(PDF file)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=NupET929nEQoQ2va3tPGVA&bvm=bv.44011176,d.cGE

..Before giving up hope I would contact that manufacturer and see what they might have seeing if you wanted to purchase that CARB compliant Supercharger you would think they would know where to also get a CARB Compliant air filter to attach to it..:dunno:

93 ford explorer MAF problems

Hi I just had my explorer tested and said I had a mass air flow problem. I am trying to find out where I can get the duct that goes from the throttle body to the air filter housing besides ford. I have looked at the junk yards but no one seems to have any. I have holes in mine an put duck tape around it but it is still coming back with a P code saying limp mode. I have cleaned and checked the sensor, what else can I do? and where can I find that tube besides ford?

..It's kinda funny you can put one of these on your X and it's C.A.R.B. Compliant..(PDF file)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=NupET929nEQoQ2va3tPGVA&bvm=bv.44011176,d.cGE

..Before giving up hope I would contact that manufacturer and see what they might have seeing if you wanted to purchase that CARB compliant Supercharger you would think they would know where to also get a CARB Compliant air filter to attach to it..:dunno:
Supercharger, YES.....CARB compliant intake, NO.
Their supercharger feeds into the stock air box. Can you believe that??

Before I give up on my coilover dreams, I am going to go talk to my smog guy and the local CARB station.

Anyway, great thread with lots of information. I am starting to feel like a highjacker...:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I just had my explorer tested and said I had a mass air flow problem. I am trying to find out where I can get the duct that goes from the throttle body to the air filter housing besides ford. I have looked at the junk yards but no one seems to have any. I have holes in mine an put duck tape around it but it is still coming back with a P code saying limp mode. I have cleaned and checked the sensor, what else can I do? and where can I find that tube besides ford?

I think you would be better off checking your local smog laws and if able, purchase an entire intake system. It will be less expensive than the dealership, and give you a slight boost in power.

You could also look here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 Lots of Explorers being parted out.

Back