91' A4LD big thud now no od... want 5spd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91' A4LD big thud now no od... want 5spd

chris c

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
i usually do my own searches but i am against the wall right now. about 1 1/2 hours from home with a broken truck....

i was on the way to my girlfriends house tonight. as i was approaching the toll booth i was slowing from ~75 to ~45mph. i gently got back on the gas and the transmission banged real hard. i knew i was **** after i got through the toll booth and moving again i had no overdrive. the transmission also feels as if is is veruy sluggish and there is more of a power loss then usual.

now, i am in a bind. i need a car as the 'x' is my only one. i am sick and tired of the A4LD woes. i have to do something by the end of the week [as well as move my girlfriend, get to work, tow the 'x' about 1 1/2 hours home]...

i want to fix the 'x' with a 5spd swap but time is an issue. if i can't get some info it's going to end up being donated. anyone know the details on the swap. anyone know where i can get a 5spd tranny....

it sux, if i can't get this stuff quick i am going to be forced to by this ***** 87 stanza....

ask Tat2D

Where in ny are you from. I am from rockland county ny. I just replaced my 91 explorer with a 97. my 91 sport 5 spd ran when i took it off the road. The trans was rebuilt about 40 k ago. The truck has 195 k miles and still ran strong, has more power than my 97. has recent shocks , flowmaster exhust. manual hubs.
I wanted to drive the truck till it died, but I could not kill it. It would be a great donnor truck for the swap.
Was looking for $500.

dutchess county... please call... 914.469.8953

Back