91 Explorer 4x4 troubleshooting question??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer 4x4 troubleshooting question???

Robar

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB X Sport
First let me say you guys have a great site and forum here. I have learned a LOT just from lurking and reading.

Second let me say I am not a mechanic, I'm a 40 year old parts changer!

Okay here we go. I have done a lot of searching and reading on this site and that helped me narrow down my problem so No, thumping the shift motor or rebuilding it isn't going to help. I already thumped it and we are to early in the game for the rebuild. SO here it is.

when pushing the 4wheel HI or 4wheel LOW buttons nothing lights up, no clicking in the back from the computer, nothing happens.

We (My dad who has been a mechanic most of his life and I) unhooked the connecter at the buttons and tested them to see if they were getting any juice. There IS power to the switchs. We even changed out the origional for a junk yard button set that the previous owner had laying in the back seat.

The computer has power. When I pushed the little reset or test button the red led comes on and stays on for 20-30 seconds give or take. The point is, it comes on and stays on for a period of time then goes out.

So we have power to the computer and the shift buttons but no lights come on when the buttons are pushed, nothing happens.

Next we tested that gaggle of wires that plug in down at the transfer case some of which go over to the shift motor. NO POWER! Ignition was on, but no power to any of those wires. I even tried pushing the HI & LOW buttons, nothing!

The only thing I did find interesting was that when that bunch of wires down at the transfer case are unplugged and you push the test button on the computer it flashes four times and then goes out. I have read here on the forum that that means the computer has tested itself and is saying "I"m GOOD to go".

This leads us to believe that a wire or wires may be broke, corroded or otherwise fouled up. I see that the gaggle goes up through the floor and comes out under the drivers seat.

I am wondering if there are any relays, junctions, terminals, etc that might be the problem. I looked over the fuses but couldn't find any bad ones so I don't know if it is a fuse or not. Have any of you ever encountered this type of problem before?

I don't want to put any money in this thing. I would rebuile the shift motor if I could get juice to it if it still didn't work, but at this point I am just as willing to take it off and toss it and use pliers and manually do it.

Just a little recap.

1Buttons don't light up though they have power to them.
2computer has power but only gives the I'm good signal when the gaggle at the transfer case is unpluged.
3No power to the gaggle at the transfer case
4Rusty old girl that is never going to be pretty, but may be functional for the two-tracks with a little bit of redneck flair!

Okay upon further reading it appears I had the meaning of the steady light and the flashing of the red light mixed up a bit.

Okay after further reading it is my understanding that the solid light on the module means it is okay and the blinking means it is not okay. If this is correct then when it is all pluged in and hooked up everything is fine as far as the module is concerned. I guess where I am getting lost is why (if it is okay) don't I have any lit 4 HI or 4LOW buttons? Why don't I hear any clicking from the module when we push the buttons. Can the buttons not working be a symptum of a bad shift motor? I am skeptical of any answer to the affirmative of that last question because it makes no sense to me that it would effect the electrical circuit that way and still let the module say it is okay, (plus as mentioned before according to our tester I have no power at the shift motor). We have power to the buttons, could the original set and the bone yard set both be bad? Possible I guess, though I think it is doubtful. Pushbuttons don't go bad often enough for a guy to have two bad ones.

So here we are again, I have power to the buttons, but they won't light.

I have a mudule that says its okay.

At the same time I have no power to any of the wires that are down by the transfer case (some of which feed the shift motor).

I'm not embarassed to say I am scratching my head trying to figure out what is the problem.

Back