911 High centered my 05 explorer the other night. Now won't start (full story) pic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

911 High centered my 05 explorer the other night. Now won't start (full story) pic

I went through a little hole on a pipeline behind my house that I've been thru before but this time the ruts were good bit deeper and I was just sitting on the frame. The failsafe crap started flashing but the truck never died and I left it running til I got it out bout an hour later. The failsafe mode never showed up again but had a CEL on after that. Water wasn't over the tires but just over the bottom of the door sill on the driver side. After we got it pulled out it ran fine. Drove in to town to spray it off at the car wash and came home. (Left it running the whole time. Including some interstate driving. Ran fine. In fact it ran perfectly. When I got home I shut it off and back on just to make sure it would start and It did. Then went to bed. Next morning. One click and nothing. I have stuck a screwdriver down by the solenoid to jump the two cables and when I did it did click fast in a series. That's about all I know. Just really need my truck running hope this is something minor.

s4o184.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

starter motor burned out from sitting in water for an hour? my first guess.

My next move is take the starter and solenoid out and take it to a place that rebuilds them. If the solenoid clicks when jumped doesn't that definately point at the starter itself?

Is there any other sensor or anything that would keep it from starting if it failed? I ask this bc I've read that the failsafe mode comes on when sensors fail

Try the starter first, it kinda of makes sense that it would not be happy about being submerged in muddy water...........

Also, not that it is effecting the immediate issue (no start), but you should change all of your fluids ASAP (front/rear diffs, trans, and transfer case- wouldn't hurt to change the engine oil too). I would also grease the crap out of any grease fittings you have, to flush out any water in things like u-joints, ball joints, and tie rods. If none of these have grease fittings, then you should expect them to fail much sooner then they would normally. The same goes for your wheel bearings. They weren't designed for full submersion. They also most likely got water in them, and will fail prematurely. Being a "sealed" bearing design, there is no way to re-grease/flush them out, so start saving up for replacements. I would also recommend flushing/bleeding the brake system. Again, the brakes aren't meant to be underwater, and it only takes a tiny bit of water to leak past a caliper piston seal.

Good luck.

Electrical gremlins will slowly start to surface as well. Its not if, its when. I've been down this road before, see my thread below this one chevy and taurus one.

So the starter appears to work. But now it is like the trucks circuit is not closed somehow. The battery is hot when I plug jumper cables up to it but does not spark when the terminal touches the battery

There is a fuse blown. A 20 in the number 9 slot under the hood

So no one else has any insight to what I should look to next? My buddy is bringing his multimeter over and gonna start messing with it but I don't even know a mechanic that would be able to figure this out its cr
azy

Back